1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

New Seats Are In!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Seats Are In!

I'm co-owner/operator of a towing business and last year we "aquired" a nice '00 Durango that we have no title for. It supposedly has a bad tranny so the engine was yanked and put in another Durango. So we basically have a parts vehicle and these nice bucket seats cost me NOTHING!! I finally got around to pulling them and installing them in my pickup yesterday. WOW are these nice and they fit well!! The driver's seat is power(gotta wire it up yet). It's about as low as it'll go and I like it!! You actually sit UP like your sitting in a chair not on the floor... er in a Chevy. It had after market seats in it when I bought it and the drivers seat was shot. I was using a combination of a foam pad, blanket, and a towel to give myself a half-way decent position. Since I'm sitting up higher now with a much firmer seat I actually have some leg room and can almost stretch my legs all the way out on either side of the brake pedal(I'm 5' 11"). I no longer feel cramped behind the wheel because I sit back farther too. Oh yeah, I no have an adjustable lumbar support now too. I used the existing bracket/frame that the old buckets were mounted on and left the center console. Using scrap steel my dad had laying around at his place I got them mounted up. Only took me about 8 hrs to change the oil and do this!

Granted the seats are gray and the interior is red, but now I have a two-tone interior that matches the exterior! Seriously though, I think they clash nicely with the inside and outside.

Here's my 18mo old son Cody pulling on the turn signal lever after he discovered it flashes the headlights when pulled!
Old 07-06-2008, 10:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks good plus my nephew discovered the dimmer switch as well.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:50 PM

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Those seats look like just what I am looking for!
I have an aftermarket 40/20/40 bench seat in my truck now and I cannot make any long trips without a visit to the chiroprator afterwards. There is just not enough leg room
Can you post some close-ups of you seat mounting brackets?

Thanks,
C. D. Hunter
Old 07-07-2008, 08:06 PM

Can't beat the looks -

better yet -- can't beat the price !
Old 07-08-2008, 10:34 PM

I'll post some pics of the bracket setup tomorrow night. I'll also take a pic of me sitting in them.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:16 AM

Thanks DanMan!
Old 07-09-2008, 03:50 AM

I think you got the wrong color

Looks good, but I've always liked bench seats for some reason...
Old 07-09-2008, 05:52 AM

I like bench seats too. Especially the good spring ones that were in the 80's Dodge pickups. I was thinking about pulling the bench out of my dad's dormant '84 but I really like my center console! Plus I like the full-height back support.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:27 AM

Best thing about a bench is you can get your best girl right up next to you . And then strap here in with the seat belt so she can't scoot across the seat.

Maybe I'm getting old - but I still like to have my wife sit next to me and throw my arm around her shoulders.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by DanMan
I like bench seats too. Especially the good spring ones that were in the 80's Dodge pickups. I was thinking about pulling the bench out of my dad's dormant '84 but I really like my center console! Plus I like the full-height back support.
I have the factory bench in my '91. Right after purchasing the truck (c/c), my father-in-law had his cousin re-upholster the seat and put in a lumbar support. My father-in-law loved it. He had broken his back a number of years before and this gave the support he needed. I am 6'2" and it works ok for me.

Now, even though my wife loves to drive the truck and tow the trailer I usually do not let her. She is 5'2" and needs the seat moved forward and I end up with my knees around my ears. For that reason, I would like the bucket seats.

Those seats are a nice addition to your truck - especially if the original was worn.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:35 PM

Bucket seats are more comfortable, but I do like having my gal right up close to me. You don't have to be old to like putting you arm around your girl
Old 07-09-2008, 09:56 PM

The more I drive it the more I like these seats! I can't over the feeling of jumping up into a nice comfy, firm seat that I sit up on. Like I said, these replace the aftermarket buckets that were in it so just utilized the existing mounting frame. I still need to wired up the power for the drivers seat but I got it in a pretty good position where it's at. Of course it is about all the way down. The back of the seat is against the back of the cab.
Here is Yours Truly in his driving position...again, I'm 5' 11" (I know, I know, that molding started to come off a couple weeks ago so I just yanked it off)

End view of drivers side....

Front mount on pass side...

Front mount drivers side...

Rear mount drivers side... had to weld a piece of flat iron to the rear seat brackets for it to sit on the frame right
Old 07-10-2008, 09:25 AM

Thanks for the pics that looks like a sweet setup!!!
Old 07-10-2008, 10:57 PM

looks like Bill, the Enzyte man ;-)
Old 07-11-2008, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Rampage1967
looks like Bill, the Enzyte man ;-)

LOL..... except that this (32 yr old)boy don't need no Enzyte!!

Quick Reply: New Seats Are In!