1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

New seats!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first, tuckerdee, you are incorrect. you do not have to use the inertia controller. all it does is supply 12v to the seat belt locking mech. it is a naturally locked state. i just ran 12v from a keyed source. they still work just like any seatbelt, pull hard or quick and it locks up. one set of my seats with the intergrated didn't even have that mess so apparently not all of them did. hope that made sence, i can't speak on power seats, but you can pretty easily eliminate the inertia controller.

4RnrRick, yes, the rear seat is in my stretched truck. it was originally a SRW reg cab w350. the frame was lengthened 36". i believe it is more than a foot longer than my club cab. i know that someone put a bench in the rear of thier club cab, and said it was tight for the kids but better than the side facing seats (i think) but there's no way an adult would fit back there.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:59 PM

Cool, thanks.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:22 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by andyr354
stock 1st gen buckets. IHMO they are alot more comfortable than the seats in any of my dads 2nd gen trucks.
I think the front seats in a dodge full size van are very similar.
I'm with you on that one, Andy. I have a bad back, but even after 12 hours in the saddle my back feels fine with the seats in my 1st gen. An hour in a 3rd gen and I'm sore.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:40 PM

i drive a 1st gen with buckets home 13+ hours. it was comfortable and my back was not sore. for me however i would rank the 2nd gen seats equal with that. they are more firm, but i like that.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:23 PM

I hate the seats in my second gen,they are hard as a rock,and on rough roads you sure will notice,I spent 12hours a day in 'em and I'm lookin for some suspension!
Old 01-16-2007, 11:13 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuckerdee
Micaiahfied also has a similar setup though he built a subframe so he could mount his seat lower.

Any chance you saved or wrote down the dimensions on how you made the brackets? I plan on doing this in a few weeks, would be helpful. Looks good!
Old 01-17-2007, 07:52 PM

I know its not the best time of year to be looking for seats in a wrecking yard - but I figured it could hurt to see what time of coin I'm might get myself into. So I just ran out to my local wrecking yard that I typicaly can get good deals at and got a ballpark quote price of $300-$400 for some seats out of a second gen Dodge. I was SHOCKED! Then he (the owner of the yard I was talking to) called another one of the local yards to make sure he was in the right price range just to double check what he quoted me and he got a phone quote of $650 from the other place!!! And that conversion was on speaker phone so I heard it.

Seriously - does that sound right??? Typically I can buy seats out of Imports cars or trucks for like $50-$100 for a pair.

Theres no way I'm paying that type of money for a OEM seat! Heck for just a little more I can get some REALLY nice suspension offroad seats with harness!

Anyways - what did you guys pay for your seats?
Old 01-17-2007, 08:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 4RnrRick
I know its not the best time of year to be looking for seats in a wrecking yard - but I figured it could hurt to see what time of coin I'm might get myself into. So I just ran out to my local wrecking yard that I typicaly can get good deals at and got a ballpark quote price of $300-$400 for some seats out of a second gen Dodge. I was SHOCKED! Then he (the owner of the yard I was talking to) called another one of the local yards to make sure he was in the right price range just to double check what he quoted me and he got a phone quote of $650 from the other place!!! And that conversion was on speaker phone so I heard it.

Seriously - does that sound right??? Typically I can buy seats out of Imports cars or trucks for like $50-$100 for a pair.

Theres no way I'm paying that type of money for a OEM seat! Heck for just a little more I can get some REALLY nice suspension offroad seats with harness!

Anyways - what did you guys pay for your seats?

I was quoted last week about $300 for a set from a local yard. I wouldnt pay any more than that. Considering you have to build your own brackets and the install.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:32 AM

Has anyone tried to mount Jeep bucket seats from Bestop in their truck? They are only $135.00 new, looks to me like there would not be a problem adapting them to the framework my truck has for it's seats.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:53 AM

For me, making brackets to adapter ANY seat is no big deal. I've got the tools and knowledge, so thats no big deal. I just don't want to pay that type of money for a OEM.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:02 PM

I paid $350 for my Quadcab power seats. Cheapest I ever found. I've NEVER gotten any good deals from wrecking yards. Most, around here anyway, seem to think their parts are about 3 days from brand new.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:21 PM

heck for that pice you could get somethign like this:

http://www.discountvantruck.com/truc...benchseats.htm

or this....

http://www.discountvantruck.com/truc...truckseats.htm
Old 01-19-2007, 06:29 AM

1 st. GEN. SEATS

HEY FELLAS, I'VE BEEN READING YOUR POSTS ON THIS SEAT SITUATION AND ALTHOUGH I DON'T HAVE PHOTO'S I REPLACED MY BENCH SEAT ( i have an 85 d-350 crewcab) WITH SEATS OUT OF A LATE MODEL DODGE CARAVAN. MOUNTING HOLES ON OUTSIDE OF SEAT MATCHED HOLES OF OLD BENCH BUT YOU WILL NEED TO DRILL HOLES FOR INSIDE OF FRAME. I DID NOT GET SEATS WITH ARMRESTS ( i wished i had ) BUT THEY ARE DOING THE JOB. NOW, HERE'S THE CATCHER. THE TRANS TUNNEL ON THE PASSENGER SIDE HAS AN EXTENDED HUMP, WHICH I WOULD ASSUME ACCOMADATES A CREWCAB 4-WHEEL DRIVE. THESE CABS I BELIEVE WERE DESIGNED TO SERVE SEVERAL MODELS 2 WD / 4 WD. IF YOU WERE TO PUT CARAVAN SEATS IN YOU WILL NEED TO PULL UP CARPET AND REMOVE SAID HUMP, AND USING SIMILAR GAUGE SHEET METAL FORM IN THE AREA REMOVED TO FIT CONTOUR OF THE CAB FLOORBOARD. I HAVE NOT DONE THIS YET BUT AFTER GIVING MUCH THOUGHT TO THIS I BELIEVE THIS WILL WORK. IF YOU DO NOT DO THIS THE SEAT WILL STILL GO IN BUT IT WILL JUST BE CLOSER TO PASSENGER DOOR AND SEATBELT WILL HAVE TO BE PUT ON BEFORE YOU CLOSE DOOR. I HOPE THIS WILL GIVE YOU ANOTHER OPTION. BY THE WAY, I PAID $ 150.00 FOR PAIR AT A SALVAGE YARD IN CULLMAN,AL. I WAS VISITING MY SISTER AT THE TIME. SEATS NEEDED TO BE CLEANED UP BUT THEY TURNED OUT GREAT AND HAVE BEEN WORKING FINE FOR 3 YEARS
Old 01-24-2007, 08:02 PM

Any of you replaced your factory bench seat with 1st gen factory bucket seats? Is this any trouble to do? Do the holes line up? I'd rather not drill if I could help it.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:21 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottT80
Any of you replaced your factory bench seat with 1st gen factory bucket seats? Is this any trouble to do? Do the holes line up? I'd rather not drill if I could help it.
In my project truck I did this. The outside holes are there, you must drill for the insde holes and fasten down the console. Some kind of reinforcement to the floor pan is necessary (the factory used a sheetmetal channel) to keep the floor from tin-canning. I added a second layer to my floor generously plug welded to the original floor pan. Since my truck is a reg. cab, some seat bracket mods were required to move the seats away from the rear wall of the cab, and would not be a good fit for a tall driver. I am 5'6" and fit comfortably, but a long legged driver would want some more room and use a thinner profile seat. BTW Mopar used this same basic bucket in everything from Omni's to vans and Ramchargers.

Quick Reply: New seats!