1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

new peeps including me. who will leave next

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had the itch for a new truck lately especially with a new addition to the family on the way but I can't justify paying for a new truck. Then on Saturday I passed a newer Dodge dually pulling a trailer broke down on the side of the road. Seeing as I carry almost every tool needed for the truck I stopped to offer a hand. The guy began telling me about all the problems he has had with it and asked if I was willing to sale. My reply was simple, nope, it's never left me broke down on the side of the road like that.

The key to keeping your old truck from being a money pit is preventative maintenance. Spend one Saturday a month checking the truck out. Check your bearings, look for leaks and then fix it. Bearings are like $30.00. Paying for a wrecker and new spindle after a bearing failure is expensive.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:43 AM

Plus these new trucks can't compete fuel mileage wise. My buddies new 6.7 is averaging 13.5 mpg's. Mine doesn't get that bad loaded.

And someone mentioned Duramaxs blowing your doors off. The difference in travel times is barely noticeable unless you are on a long, several 100 m ile trip. I personally don't exceed 65 mph when I'm pulling and don't see the need to do so, so that doesn't impress me.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:24 PM

Wow is all I can say The love we have for our trucks is awesome and I must say shamefully I have almost sold mine a few times because it sits in my driveway right now for reasons I will put in my one thread but I love it and don't want to sell it but I am having one hell of a hard time deciding!
Old 10-10-2011, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by DJ Turbo.
Wow is all I can say The love we have for our trucks is awesome and I must say shamefully I have almost sold mine a few times because it sits in my driveway right now for reasons I will put in my one thread but I love it and don't want to sell it but I am having one hell of a hard time deciding!

The old stuff is, well, unique in so many ways. For me, it is about simplicity, longevity, and maintainability. Couldn't care less really about keeping up with the creature comforts and being able to tow over a pass at 80 mph vs. 60 mph.

Curious though as to what is behind the statement in your signature regarding lesson learned about getting an inspection before buying a vehicle? What happened there?
Old 10-10-2011, 10:16 PM

Welllllll I bought the truck in my sig without an inspection and found out later that it needs a few things and now I have to decide whether to fix it or sell it cause I have to move right away and I really don't wanna see it sit for another winter its just a waste.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:49 PM

Mostly just maintenance items you didn't catch or some serious issues with the truck?
Old 10-10-2011, 11:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought my 90 new in nov, 89 700,000 miles later and lots of mods made it my fav. truck .I have a 01 and drive newer ones all the time ,and they are comfy ,BUT I will stay with my bullet proof 12 valve that has never left me stranded and if it didn't start .it was a simple fix that was going in 5 min. even the tranny never gave me an issue,when it needed repair it was a PM move so i wouldn't be stuck. sure parts are getting harder to find but there the simplest trucks ever made and reliable.
love my first gen ,who cares if a Dmax is faster I can change my water pump in 15 min. not 6 hr and have to dismantle half the truck, or pull the cab off to fix something forget the new stuff I could buy a new truck and they sure look nice but no thanks I will keep it simple!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I already learned my lesson about not having a 1st gen around. I went through a '96 7.3, '95 12 valve, and an '04 Duramax within a year before I had enough of having stupid expensive stuff causing downtime. From now I will always have a 1st gen around. Everyone tells me the new stuff is just as reliable but if that were the case I wouldn't ever have to tow my friends trucks home.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:06 AM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
I started my diesel obsession with a 97 EC 3500 5spd, then a 95 CC flatbed 5spd, then 99 EC auto with power adders, now the 93, i will never own a new truck, just seems wrong to give that much money for a truck, and as long as i still have heavy work to do i will be in the 93.

Now i'm not sayin in 10-15 years when i retire me and momma mite want a little smoother ride when were traveling, (94-98.5), but my 93 will stay on my farm.

I'll just put him out to stud.

Dar
Old 10-11-2011, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Lucas1
well just kept going back looking at old posts.......2002 stuff.

and well didnt reconize too many names.

iam relatively new to the first gen scene too.

i guess the cheap guys and the young crowd pic up first gens bomb the heck out of them..then upgrade..i can see it hapening to me soon.

its hard to compete with new stuff yes it breaks more costs more to buy more to run etc etc.......but those comforts are worth it

ride in a new duramax with a tune

will blow the doors off my first gen all while the heated seats are on.

and iam into mine for $16k

either i need to spend more money or give up and pass her along

so the question is..............HOW long have you owned your truck............and plan on owning it.
How did I miss this post. I am here to prove these old VE pumped first gens can outrun the new trucks and run with a lot of the P pump trucks. The VE will never be capable of what a P pump is, but I love the look on their faces when they get stomped by an old VE.

My daily driver is a tuned Dmax. It tows like nothing I've ever been in (400whp tow tune max egt is only 1100*), rides smooth for an HD, runs mid 8's in the 1/8th, and gets 22mpg on the highway. But line up the old first gen and Dmax, the first gen leaves it in the dust!

I love these old trucks because they are a dying breed and different. And the 12v cummins in any configuration is just awesome.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:15 PM

I haven't posted in quite a while, a) my truck has been down for quite a while due to a blown getrag and B) I tend to use forums as refrence material, not very often do I need to post about something that hasn't been covered before.

My current dd is a 96 F250 PSD that I got for free, it's given me 17,000 trouble free miles in the last year and a bit, my work truck is an 08 D-Max... 33K miles in the last year and a half and I wouldn't be caught dead owning one.

Prior to the Cummins, my dd was an 86 F250 with a turboed 6.9, which I paid $300 for and drove daily for 4 years, still have it... Prior to the 6.9 I had a 00 F250 with a 7.3.
I don't like trucks with unit bearings... LOL

I have had to put more into the repairs on the Cummins than most other vehicles I have owned(well, once I re-build the second failed getrag) and I would take it over any of the other trucks I have had. It's stupid simplicity and the fact that it was designed to be a truck, not a car with a box makes it very attractive maintenance wise.
Compared to a few of my friends later CTD trucks, I'm very glad I bought the 92 and not the 02 I was looking at at the same time. Common rail injectors, VP pumps, Airdogs, transmissions... Just a few of the things I have become well practiced at installing, we won't even mention front end parts...
Old 10-11-2011, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by 1STGENFARMBOY
I started my diesel obsession with a 97 EC 3500 5spd, then a 95 CC flatbed 5spd, then 99 EC auto with power adders, now the 93, i will never own a new truck, just seems wrong to give that much money for a truck, and as long as i still have heavy work to do i will be in the 93.

Now i'm not sayin in 10-15 years when i retire me and momma mite want a little smoother ride when were traveling, (94-98.5), but my 93 will stay on my farm.

I'll just put him out to stud.

Dar
Now I know I am gonna make myself look like a idiot here but what do ec and cc stand for dumb question I know
Old 10-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
extra cab n cc for maybe quadcab
Old 10-12-2011, 01:23 AM

Thanks kinda obvious though hehe
Old 10-12-2011, 06:47 AM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
EC,...extended cab, CC..... cab chassy

Dar

Quick Reply: new peeps including me. who will leave next