1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

new peeps including me. who will leave next

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 02:06 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MARF75
Any secrets to 22-24 MPG?
Yes.

Tire inflation 50-60 if possible.
Keep your boost down from 0 to 5 lb. (if possible)
Dont drive it like you stole it.

Ill give you my scenerio. 93 W250 4x4 , 5 sp. oversize tires with 3.5 gearing. Tires are only 285/75/16. The sweet spot that I continue to find myself driving at is 63-65 mph. It just seems to purr right along at that speed with little to no boost. The only fuel additive I run is 16 oz per tank of ashless 2 stroke oil.

You have to remember that back when these trucks were built, the speed limit (here in pa) was only 55 mph. I dont believe the factory took all that into consideration at the time of the increase in mph that was to come, (65mph) Point in case is the fact that NOW, you cant get any gearing any lower than the 3.73. These trucks came with as low as 3.07's.

IMO, that is the Big 3 way of increasing fuel consumption. My reason for thinking along these lines is.....why are the new trucks only getting LESS mileage than the trucks that were built 20 years ago. Emissions could be one reason, but I am not buying it.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GIT-R-DONE
IMO, that is the Big 3 way of increasing fuel consumption. My reason for thinking along these lines is.....why are the new trucks only getting LESS mileage than the trucks that were built 20 years ago. Emissions could be one reason, but I am not buying it.
I have a smart comeback but I won't. Trying to tone down my snipping...

Take your truck, add another 400 ft lbs of torque (through fueling and turbo upgrades), and add another 1500-2000 lbs of crap to your truck and see what mileage you get. Then add the emission equipment and see you mileage.

It is REALLY impressive what they get for what they lug around. The new Ford 6.7L's, once deleted of the emission garbage, is getting 20mpg average. That is a crew cab, long bed, 4x4 tipping the scales at 8k+. 3.73 gearing and some models have 3.42 like Dodge.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If a person really needs 800 Ft lbs of torque to get through their daily truck usage tasks then great. The new diesels fit the bill for these people. Does 400 or 500 ft lbs of torque adequately meet the needs of most truck owning consumers, of course it does. I would like to see the automakers offer a modern diesel option with a smaller displacement and say, 500 lbs of torque but can get 25 mph plus. Put it in a half ton, lighter truck and it would meet the needs of the masses and save big on fuel. I would say 25 to 28 mpg would be easily achievable with a modern smaller displacement turbo diesel, in a lighter half ton truck and power levels geared for towing typical half ton truck capacities.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:42 PM

Received 127 Likes on 71 Posts
If things go to heck you will be glad you have a vehicle that doesnt need a battery to run and can burn almost anything.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:45 PM

Received 127 Likes on 71 Posts
I keep thinking i could put half the money of a new truck into mine and have a better than new classic. Of course that doesn't fly with my wife. So i put on tires and change the oil and drive the wheels off of it.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by mhuppertz
If things go to heck you will be glad you have a vehicle that doesnt need a battery to run and can burn almost anything.
I agree. I definately already appreciate the simplicity in design every day!
Old 09-20-2011, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by sootnsmoke
If a person really needs 800 Ft lbs of torque to get through their daily truck usage tasks then great. The new diesels fit the bill for these people. Does 400 or 500 ft lbs of torque adequately meet the needs of most truck owning consumers, of course it does. I would like to see the automakers offer a modern diesel option with a smaller displacement and say, 500 lbs of torque but can get 25 mph plus. Put it in a half ton, lighter truck and it would meet the needs of the masses and save big on fuel. I would say 25 to 28 mpg would be easily achievable with a modern smaller displacement turbo diesel, in a lighter half ton truck and power levels geared for towing typical half ton truck capacities.
IIRC the 6.9 was rated at 325 lb.-ft/155 hp. On a set of rollers in second I saw all ov 109 hp out of mine A 4BT would serve me quite well. I wish I could discover how easy it is to drop the 6BT in favour of the smaller one. That would leave me capable of near 30 mpg I suspect and let me quit worrying about bits of the drivetrain.

As far as needing so much power, check out what the big trucks get away with. Scale it on a hp/weight ratio and I suspect we'd be left with an IDI VW motor making 48 or perhaps 52 hp...heh-heh-heh.
cheers,
Douglas
Old 09-20-2011, 05:55 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mhuppertz
EMP approved ignition system...can`t go wrong with that
Old 09-20-2011, 09:44 AM

Cummins actually has a great smaller engine available for exactly that purpose but Chrysler makes too much $$ on the 3/4 & 1 ton & doesn't want to undermine their large truck sales with a diesel 1/2 ton , even the older 4 BT would fit the bill for 1/2 / lighter truck sales
Old 09-20-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Chryco Psycho
Cummins actually has a great smaller engine available for exactly that purpose but Chrysler makes too much $$ on the 3/4 & 1 ton & doesn't want to undermine their large truck sales with a diesel 1/2 ton , even the older 4 BT would fit the bill for 1/2 / lighter truck sales
Yeah, it usually boils down to a number crunching situation.I wondered about the 4 BT and its capabilities. I bet somewhere, someone has put one into a 1/2 ton truck
Old 09-20-2011, 10:06 AM

Yeah, it usually boils down to a number crunching situation.I wondered about the 4 BT and its capabilities. I bet somewhere, someone has put one into a 1/2 ton truck
The 4BT is still an 850 lb. motor. It should go in a 3/4-ton just like the 6BT Dodge actually used. I figure a slightly tweaked one( say turn up the pump a bit, non-IC'd sized injectors, an HY35 turbo and an IC ) and you'd not hear me complain about missing power. You would see me smile at Fueling time.
cheers,
Douglas
Old 09-20-2011, 10:06 AM

I have seen a number of them in light trucks of all makes & cars too
Old 09-20-2011, 10:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
According to diesel power or world I don't remember but isn't cummins building an engine for Nissan's, or was it another one, half ton?
Old 09-20-2011, 11:10 AM

Cummins was trying to market the engine , Dodge unfortunately didn't want it so Nissan may have picked it up ?
Old 09-20-2011, 11:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll have to double check I have the mag. Unless someone chimes in before me

Quick Reply: new peeps including me. who will leave next