1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

new peeps including me. who will leave next

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 08:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lucas1
my goal after the old girl is running good is suspension and ride quality.

As a 4x4 nut before this i cant help but think a triangulated 4 link with coils and air bags rear and a parallel 3 link with panhard ,coilvered front would be the cats .
you will see it in the next year from me....just to much on my plate now.
I'm guilty of not posting much either, life is crazy. Moved to new city, new job, middle of buying another house, thinking about picking up another (2nd) job. I get the info I need to keep working on the ol' girl from the sticky and the FSM.

I can't wait to finish this truck and do what you're doing Lucas1. I just think this truck will be a great daily driver if I can sort the suspension out and put crossover steering on this thing. As I think this will stay a street truck, I'm thinking bags all around. Did I mention I still need to buy a welder and learn how to weld?

Oh and sound deadening would be nice. Bed liner floors w/ no carpet means I don't need a radio.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:15 PM

I just got off the phone with the previous owner of my truck. He just picked up a '11 crew cab short bed 6.7L 6spd. Know what he said? "Nothing like the truck I sold you. I miss that ole girl. If you ever sell it, let me know! I want it back!" I told him, "You can have it when I am warm and dead."
Old 09-17-2011, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselJon
"You can have it when I am warm and dead."

That is a fairly obscure reference that refers (usually) to cold water drowning or exposure to extreme cold. It says the patient is not dead until they are warm and dead.. I have never heard anyone refer to this outside the emergency medical community...Mark
Old 09-17-2011, 09:49 PM

I know. You are not dead till you are warm and dead. EMT-B license holder.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by dieselJon
I know. You are not dead till you are warm and dead. EMT-B license holder.
Thought so...I was a Paramedic for 22 years here. Keep the faith Mark
Old 09-17-2011, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GIT-R-DONE
I think some of the reason you dont see some of the older posters is because they probably know most about their trucks that they dont need any more help. This site has been very valuable over the years as we gather information from each other and have watched alot of people fail, and most of us have learned from them...what works, what doesnt.

I have had munerous 1st gens......probably 5 now in my life. have traded up 2 different times, but keep coming back to the first gen trucks. I dont like the electronics of the newer rides. Simply put, I cant work on electronics, but I can on anything mechanical.

1st Genners may ride like a buckboard, but they have been the most reliable, best fuel economy truck, that can still pull anything that I hook it to.

I put about 1K miles a week on mine, avg. 22-24 mpg and love getting into it every morning just to drive it. Just something in my blood that keeps me coming back to turn the key, and listen to the ole girl purr .
Any secrets to 22-24 MPG?
Old 09-17-2011, 11:16 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by DevilzTower
and put crossover steering on this thing.

Why do so many desire cross-over steering, especially on a highway truck ??

Those with cross-over steering that I have driven don't come close to driving as good as those without.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by maybe368
Thought so...I was a Paramedic for 22 years here. Keep the faith Mark
I'm not in the medical field, but I knew that through discussion with someone who was, over reading about inducing hypothermia before resuscitating people who've suffered a heart attack or stroke.

It lowers the metabolism and allows the blood to carry in fresh oxygen and get rid of the used and ionized oxygen that the cells try to use in its place, which kills them.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BearKiller
Why do so many desire cross-over steering, especially on a highway truck ??

Those with cross-over steering that I have driven don't come close to driving as good as those without.
with any type of lift crossover is the BOMB truck turn's so much better and handled 10 times better then stock steering maybe the one's you drove wern't set/up right ? I dono but I swear by crossover
Old 09-18-2011, 09:49 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by simplysmn
with any type of lift crossover is the BOMB truck turn's so much better and handled 10 times better then stock steering maybe the one's you drove wern't set/up right ? I dono but I swear by crossover

We always use a special-made dropped pitman-arm on the 4- and 6-inch lifts and they always drive better that a non-lifted truck.

Now, if one tries to get by with the factory pitman-arm, or, worse yet, a steering-arm riser-block, then they will dart and lurch all over.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by scot pa
I'm not in the medical field, but I knew that through discussion with someone who was, over reading about inducing hypothermia before resuscitating people who've suffered a heart attack or stroke.

It lowers the metabolism and allows the blood to carry in fresh oxygen and get rid of the used and ionized oxygen that the cells try to use in its place, which kills them.
There was a push several years ago to just pack the head of a person in arrest in ice and scoop and run them to the hospital. The idea being that moving just a little relatively warm blood to the brain is more harmful than cooling the brain, lowering oxygen need. Don't know where it ever went...Mark
Old 09-18-2011, 10:45 AM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Let's stay on topic folks.

(former EMT-D here).
Old 09-18-2011, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by BC847
Let's stay on topic folks.

(former EMT-D here).
I figured that this was 1 possible, but sad, way that people may stop posting...
Old 09-18-2011, 11:07 AM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by maybe368
I figured that this was 1 possible, but sad, way that people may stop posting...
This thread is about our old trucks and the fondness the owners have for them.

- It's rude to derail a thread (Thread Crapping).
- Those interested in the original topic get tired of sifting through the of-topic stuff.
- Doing a forum search may surprise you in the large number of threads dedicated specifically to emergency medical services. You'll find the vast majority are in our "Other" forum board.

It certainly is sad to think folks would stop posting simply because the forum decorum mandates people stay on topic.

It's no big deal. All are invited to start a thread on most any subject, provided it's in the proper forum board.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by BC847
It certainly is sad to think folks would stop posting simply because the forum decorum mandates people stay on topic.
I was talking about that they may have passed away. I certainly was not trying to argue with you in any way and I apologize if I came off that way...Mark

Quick Reply: new peeps including me. who will leave next