1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

new peeps including me. who will leave next

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
I think that there are a few reasons that more experienced posters stop posting. One is one that I have seen at other forums and that is the failure to search before posting and the repetition ad naseum of the same problems. Lets face it, there is VEEEERY little about these trucks that has not been covered before. Then there is the newness of the discovery of the info on this, and many other forums, which I always feel. This wears off after a while. Another is the general nature of some posts that pertain to any vehicle, not just the fist gens. Paint would be a good example. Also, there are very knowledgeable newbies and they are quicker to the draw to answer. I believe that threads that ask highly specific and highly technical questions, that pertain to first gens tends to draw out the wise ones. All of this is, of course, my opinion...Mark
Old 09-17-2011, 10:05 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by KRB
BTW crazy clem - At risk of showing my age, whats a "belly button truck" anyway???

I was hoping someone would ask; I have no idea either.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belly button means everyone has one I believe
But our trucks are unique
Old 09-17-2011, 10:39 AM

Depreciation - A 55k new cummins truck will relieve you of half your invested money in about 5 or 6 years. Not to mention the insurance cost during that time. As 1st gens are increasing in value, you will most likely make money in 5 or 6 years if you take care of them. The depreciation factor is removed from 1st gen era trucks and are becoming extremely sought after.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:41 AM

my dad bought the truck used in 92 he commuted in it for about 7 years. my youngest brother drove it for about a year ,other brother drove it for several years in pheonix also took it up to philipsburg montana for a year now I have it . its making the same commute it did with my dad in the begining . 20 years from my dad 2 younger brothers now me . if i get passed on the way to work its only because I LET THEM.. ate a coworkers duramax with edge tuner the other day he's still making $500+ payments on it ..
will i keep it ... well my 10yr old daughter wants it when she can drive , so I guess i will have to find me another 1st gen
Old 09-17-2011, 11:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
belly button , everyone has one seems like every truck out there is new and the same.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"if you want comfort.....get a vette " NOOOOOOOOOOOOO not a midlife crisis car or short man's dream as I call em
Old 09-17-2011, 12:14 PM
KRB

Received 523 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by GIT-R-DONE
I put about 1K miles a week on mine
You manning a moon station or what?
Old 09-17-2011, 01:03 PM

your right about the bin there done that.....

ppumped first gens with hx/35/ht3b twins are of yesterday..

JQmile is bringing a little interest back in diesel power....

kinda helps with the value and interest in these old trucks too.

lol delete the sticky and create a whole new lot of questions

huh no
iam already frustrated with the how do i do this and wheres this questions in this forum.

my goal after the old girl is running good is suspension and ride quality.

As a 4x4 nut before this i cant help but think a triangulated 4 link with coils and air bags rear and a parralel 3 link with panhard ,coilvered front would be the cats .
you will see it in the next year from me....just to much on my plate now.

Last edited by BC847; 09-17-2011 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Language
Old 09-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KRB
You manning a moon station or what?
I have a LONG drive to school everyday, plus what I put on in the weekends. Going back to school wasnt my idea, as I am 46 yr old, but had no other choice.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:26 PM

Wink

Well, I'm 18 and I just started posting, but I like to think that I appreciate these trucks in the same way that the older people on this forum do. I don't want big horsepower or burnouts, just a reliable truck that is always there when I need it. My dad brought me up to love diesel trucks and he has a great mistrust for electronic gadgets and stuff. I guess I just take after him. I am definitely still in the learning phase though, so stay prepared for all my stupid questions
Old 09-17-2011, 06:51 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by LPU_911
My dad has a great mistrust for electronic gadgets and stuff.

I would say that mis-trust is probably well-founded.

In the fifteen years before the wife got her truck, she drove numerous electronic miracle cars, everything from a Corsica to an Accord.

I wore out at least two log-chains apiece on each of those not-so-smart means of conveyance, dragging them back home from various parking-lots and intersections.

In the last five years plus that she has been driving the truck, I have had to rescue her a few times, usually from her leaving lights on all day or somesuch, but the truck has always came back home under it's own power.

Not a day passes that someone somewhere doesn't try to buy her truck; maybe they are just using the truck as a means to start conversation with her, but they are wasting their breath if they think she is gonna sell it.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:06 PM
KRB

From my observations:
To summarize the top ten reasons to own a 1st Gen over a new any model:

10. Already depreciated (and much appreciated!)
9. Ugly and/or Good looking
8. Levers not buttons
7. Built heavy duty
6. Simple
5. No electronic magic
4. Burns anything
3. Keep the cab on while doing engine work
2. Runs without a battery
1. Vent windows

And to address the other issue can best be summed up by a German philosopher (somewhat paraphrased) “Tis the nature of man’s desire to never be satisfied”
Old 09-17-2011, 08:09 PM
KRB

Originally Posted by GIT-R-DONE
I have a LONG drive to school everyday, plus what I put on in the weekends. Going back to school wasnt my idea, as I am 46 yr old, but had no other choice.
Dang, I'm one year your elder. Hang in there and good luck with the new career path brother.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been driving mine for about a year and a half. I have plans for a Colt cam, A518, new rod and main bearings, water and oil pump, and paint, adding fuel capacity, doing something with the seat, putting the windows on toggles in the middle of the dash, and some sound deadening/insulation. I'll let you guess how long I plan on keeping it around.

I'm thinking a half ton shortbed, or a lil red express, with a DT246 IH motor and A518, or a 6 speed, would look good sitting beside it.

And I get to drive two second-gens and two duramaxes at work, and the boss just got a 6.7, too.

Quick Reply: new peeps including me. who will leave next