1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

new peeps including me. who will leave next

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I've had mine almost 4years and I have no plans of getting rid of ole shakey. I worked for dodge in 07 when the 6.7l came out and I will not own one. I like the fact I can drive my truck with no battery or alt hooked up try that in a common rail...I'll rebulid my truck twice over and then some. Besides real trucks have wing vents....
Old 09-16-2011, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why do you think I am on my 3rd round?

Really simple is all I can say. Cheaper on parts compared to new trucks.

This winter, it is getting a sound deadening upgrade. Along with fixing a bunch of small things.

I wrecked my 1st one, sold the 2nd last December, got this one a month ago.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:07 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
One of the primary reasons I bought mine new in '93 was the expected ease of repair, considering the long tried-and-true engine, transmission, transfer case and axles. Today, one can still get parts to recondition, etc.

The family and I have beat the stinky out of this thing through the years. And while it's true I've broke a few trans parts over the last couple of years, those failures were my own doing. The Heap has been WELL worth it's original purchase price.

These days, it's flat FUN to drive.

I think I'll keep her . . . . .. . (the truck)
Old 09-16-2011, 08:14 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
I constantly get asked about my truck...especially a crewcab with a cummins. Just today I was crossing the Canada/USA border and the USA Customs guy, first thing out of his mouth was..."Cool truck!!"
Old 09-16-2011, 08:22 PM

I've had my 1st gen 18 years. Bought it new in Jan 93. I've owned several other vehicles in that time -a 2000 Expedition, 02 2500 Cummins 24v. Sold them and still have the 93.

I will never get rid of the 1st gen. It may not be as comfortable or quiet but it has character and is extremely reliable, very simple to work on (that is when it needs to be worked on) great on fuel, cheap to run. Parts in a year cost about as much as 1-2 months payment for a new truck. It is just an all around great truck. I can travel long distance trips through any weather or road condition, put on my camper and go to remote wilderness places, haul my firewood over very rough logging roads or go to the store for bread. It just keeps goin'.......Best truck..best vehicle...I've ever had.

And THANKS to everyone on this site who helps me keep the truck running so well. Having such great people sharing their knowledge and experience is a big part of the joy we get out of these trucks....THANKS EVERYONE!
Old 09-16-2011, 08:56 PM

Straight front axle,vent windows and a manual transfer case lever.

I rest my case
Old 09-16-2011, 09:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Seems as we get older we long for the comforts of new vehicles,that we dont have to work on. If I could afford to trade one in every time the warantee runs out and things start to go wrong I probably would. But for now the only way I would get rid of it would be to get a better 1st gen. Besides I hate belly button trucks.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:56 PM

Well I only have two first gens as of now, my son has a 3rd gen and all his buddies have newer computer trucks but they all like my old trucks and always want to take em for a ride. I guess the only way to put it is... either me or my trucks...till death do us part
Old 09-16-2011, 11:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Paid $1500, has 320k miles, and the only thing I have paid for in the last 2 years is two new tires. Heck, I don't even change the oil as often as I should. It seems to me the folks who spend a lot of $ on their 1st gens are the people who are always looking for more power. As far as keeping it on the road, including fuel, my 91.5 is cheaper to drive than my 86 jetta turbo diesel. Just turn the key and go. Everyday.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
On another note, referring back to your original question, I too have notiv=ced a change in the "regular" posters. I do not know why this may be. I am guilty of not posting as often as I once did. I honestly don't think it is because we have all gotten "smart" and gone to the dark side of the diesel spectrum where computers, urea, ultra high rail pressures, and car payments rule our lives. I think it is because we still jump in, turn our keys, and go in our first gen and just about everything you might ever need to know is in the sticky.

Due to plentiful supply, cheap mods, low initial cost, and impeccable truck legacy, the 1st gen crowd is getting ever younger. Many folks in the 1st gen forum at dtr are are driving their first vehicle owned by them. Speaking for myself and assuming about others from past days, I have a hard time relating to many of the posts that are showing up these days. For those, I just read and enjoy, but often feel like I have nothing to offer.

Anyway....

Thanks for this thread. You have generated a lot of discussion. Better yet, you have forced me to think and respond, and, for that, I thank you. Eric
Old 09-16-2011, 11:47 PM

UPDATE -ALSO TO OTHER THREADS

iam sorry. i take it back....i fell in love with my first gen all over again on the way home from the tranny shop. 3.5hr drive.

pulling a huge mountain hill...i gave a 6.7L cummins a suprise.

pulled up beside him we both rugged it and thats when i started to pull away

granted he cought up a little when i backed out when the pyro hit 1600**
but then i roalled the coal and pulled away again.

best milage so far since all the mods.... since i did the SDX 5X16 injectors and only drove it 100km not sure if its those or the new tranny..
got 15.6mpg. with my foot in it all the way.

all i need to do is update the interior with some creature comforts.ie. seats. sound deadning some new weather stripping to quiet the inside down a bit

wow do i ever need twins to clean up the smoke though
Old 09-16-2011, 11:56 PM

and thgis discussion wasnt a bash the 1st gen or praise it ....

its more to see if guys start off with these.. then work into newer stuff .
obviously with age comes the need for creature comforts,lack of repairs etc..

i love "tinkering" on my stuff......but only on my terms...
i dont like it when the trucks/toys make you do it.

but i agree with you guys about it being a "real" truck.

i had a 2001 F350 lariat before this...........drove great nice truck. when it got written off my old man was the one who pushed this one on me............i always liked the look but wanted a pretty boy truck.

well my old man was right

"if you want a truck get a real truck"
"if you want comfort.....get a vette "

and another quote from my past granfather.

"if it rides like a tractor its likely as strong as one, if it rides like a car.......well its as tough as a car"

I LOVE OLD MAN QUOTES
Old 09-17-2011, 01:57 AM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucas1

well my old man was right

"if you want a truck get a real truck"
"if you want comfort.....get a vette "

and another quote from my past granfather.

"if it rides like a tractor its likely as strong as one, if it rides like a car.......well its as tough as a car"

I LOVE OLD MAN QUOTES

Great Quotes!!!
Old 09-17-2011, 05:29 AM
KRB

Received 523 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Trooperthorn
On another note, referring back to your original question, I too have notiv=ced a change in the "regular" posters. I do not know why this may be. I am guilty of not posting as often as I once did. I honestly don't think it is because we have all gotten "smart" and gone to the dark side of the diesel spectrum where computers, urea, ultra high rail pressures, and car payments rule our lives. I think it is because we still jump in, turn our keys, and go in our first gen and just about everything you might ever need to know is in the sticky.

Due to plentiful supply, cheap mods, low initial cost, and impeccable truck legacy, the 1st gen crowd is getting ever younger. Many folks in the 1st gen forum at dtr are are driving their first vehicle owned by them. Speaking for myself and assuming about others from past days, I have a hard time relating to many of the posts that are showing up these days. For those, I just read and enjoy, but often feel like I have nothing to offer.

Anyway....

Thanks for this thread. You have generated a lot of discussion. Better yet, you have forced me to think and respond, and, for that, I thank you. Eric
Good observation. My response is similar. Many if not most questions or problems can be adressed by a sticky or a search now and don't require a post.

I've noticed a lot more younger posters, some interested in smoke and stacks or burnouts and bling. Stuff that I can't aford and gain no function from, can't speak for the rest of my generation... Still its good to have them here, even if it is only temporarily. Once they move on to a newer truck at least they can look back and "remember when"...

BTW crazy clem - At risk of showing my age, whats a "belly button truck" anyway???
Old 09-17-2011, 09:21 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think some of the reason you dont see some of the older posters is because they probably know most about their trucks that they dont need any more help. This site has been very valuable over the years as we gather information from each other and have watched alot of people fail, and most of us have learned from them...what works, what doesnt.

I have had munerous 1st gens......probably 5 now in my life. have traded up 2 different times, but keep coming back to the first gen trucks. I dont like the electronics of the newer rides. Simply put, I cant work on electronics, but I can on anything mechanical.

1st Genners may ride like a buckboard, but they have been the most reliable, best fuel economy truck, that can still pull anything that I hook it to.

I put about 1K miles a week on mine, avg. 22-24 mpg and love getting into it every morning just to drive it. Just something in my blood that keeps me coming back to turn the key, and listen to the ole girl purr .

Quick Reply: new peeps including me. who will leave next