1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

new peeps including me. who will leave next

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

best quote ever from downhome
"Having said that, there is something to be said for the newer trucks. Fit and finish, accoutrements, ergonomics... so far removed from the 1st gen's that it's like ridding in a covered wagon with upholstery. "

maybe its because for the last month my truck has been down getting its new 47rh ive been driving a friends 06 mega cab.

get in turn the key and go.

i actually had to pull my firstgen through the mountain pass.

no problems,it pulled as good as my truck maybe even better and its STOCK.
Egts peaked at 1200* ran around 1050*-1100* most of the time.
i must say it doesnt seam as planted as my dually and the suspension feels "loose".

anyway the tranny in that truck started slipping last week....prob thanks to me

HE TOOK IT TO THE DEALER AND UNDER WARRANTY HE HAD A NEW TRANNY IN IT THE NEXT DAY>
he paid 30k for it and has another 2 years warranty
ill be into mine for 20 once painted- no warranty

Dont get me wrong i wont sell the first gen................cant afford too

just thinking of buying a tow rig for everyday work/duties

its tough getting into a covered wagon with upolstry when you have been riding in leather

if i can get 375+hp and 17mpg with the mods ive done and will do id be happy

what brought this topic on is NOT seeing similar peeps in old posts.....i just figured they got smart
Old 09-16-2011, 11:13 AM

Seems like that will do it every time. Go from ridding in or driving a newer truck and then get back into the old '93... first reaction is, "uugh, this sucks". Noisy, shaky, loose, uncomfortable, inconvenient, bucket of bolts. And that feeling doesn't go away for a while.

Don't ride or drive newer trucks... everyone will be fine. I guess that means no girlfriend either. 1st gens make a bad impression that way - no comparison to the newer trucks.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:27 AM

I guess I'll keep mine until they quit making diesel or the wheels fall off, whichever comes last.

Yes, it's a covered wagon with upholstery and it's ugly and smelly but it's exactly what I need. I couldn't drive to the gravel pit in a 50K truck and say "give me two yards of #2 limestone" and let them dump it in with a loader and then drive through the woods with branches dragging on the side of the truck to where I need the stone and not be freaked out by the money getting scratched off the whole way.

Plus, when the astroid hits, or the Obombies attack, having a mechanical engine and a five speed means that if I can roll it down a hill, I'm driving. And I'm driving with just about anything I can pour in the tank that will burn.

The truck is a tool and I think it's about the best tool for the job I need it to do.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:35 AM

I've only owned my 1st gen for around 5 months and have had a few small problems like axle seal, leaking return line, etc. It doesn't bother me because I know for the most part I can beat the crap out of that thing and not have to worry a bit.

We have a 93 1st gen, 98 pee pumper, 01 3/4 ton, 00 1 ton and an 07 6.7 1 ton all 4wd and for the most part see daily work. Not including mine That being said, I would rather jump in one of the gen 1's anyday if I'm driving.

I plan on keeping mine FOREVER! In the past 5 months, people have tried to but it from me atleast a dozen times. I don't even let them throw an offer out. Just casually say it's not for sale.

I also know how much work the previous owner put into it and though it's mine, I still feel like it is partially his baby still too

You'll like a newer truck but you'll be messing the oldie. You can't beat these trucks. All trucks! NEW off the showroom floor and these 20 year old ones have their querks. The 40 to 50k less for the 1st gen makes the problems seem alot less worrisome.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm with you on that Brainfade. Once I got my wheels on center with cone nuts, new balanced tires all round and extra insulation in doors, over tranny etc and new exhaust and muffler I'm pretty comfortable towing down the road. Also it feels like a truck, not wussy like a car. I double-clutch up and down and just enjoy driving that great old beast
Old 09-16-2011, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
let's see...on my 1990 water pump replacement=20 mins start to tools clean. On a new PS or DMax it'd be 20 mins to get ova the fright of lifting the hood.

I'm not going to get rid ov it any time soon. It is a bit rough around the edges, but I can live with that. What I can't live with is a truck I have to lift the cab on if I want to do some engine service. I won't even have a Gen 2 cause the engine is tucked so far under the cowl.
cheers,
Douglas
Old 09-16-2011, 12:56 PM
9MM
Banned

Originally Posted by Douglas2
let's see...on my 1990 water pump replacement=20 mins start to tools clean. On a new PS or DMax it'd be 20 mins to get ova the fright of lifting the hood.

I'm not going to get rid ov it any time soon. It is a bit rough around the edges, but I can live with that. What I can't live with is a truck I have to lift the cab on if I want to do some engine service. I won't even have a Gen 2 cause the engine is tucked so far under the cowl.
cheers,
Douglas

Lol I agree with you on the second gen thing took my dad all day on his 96 to change the lift pump now the exhaust manifold is shurnk. Glad i'm going to university soon he can do that one himself.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:24 PM
Best Paint (Getrag category)

I've had my old wreck for 5 1/5 years and it not goin anywhere ever.

Let us know how that duramax is running in 20 years or half a million miles.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:30 PM
9MM
Banned

Originally Posted by pulltilbroke
I've had my old wreck for 5 1/5 years and it not goin anywhere ever.

Let us know how that duramax is running in 20 years or half a million miles.
I'd be very surprised if it made 15.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
I own a few vehicles, each one serving it's own purpose
(especially the Porsche). That said, if I had to get rid of all but one, the Dodge stays. It is by far the most useful of all. I wouldn't take ANY New vehicle on a bet AND THAT'S JUST THE WAY IT IS... Mark
Old 09-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Banned

I had an 08 Dodge with the 6.7 Cummins, 1 ton, crew cab, 4X4, long bed, Longhorn Edition. When I sold it, it had 29K miles on it. No complaints about the truck, strong running smooth truck with options they never dreamed about in 93. Nine months ago I sold it just to buy a 1st gen with the 12V Cummins. I've wanted one for years. There is just something about them...you either love them or hate them. I now own 2, a 93 and a 92. Bought them for exactly what I sold the 08 for. I drive the 92 every day (put 160 miles on already today). I have no plans to get rid of either of them anytime soon (if I did I'd just buy 2 more). The way I see it, drive what you like, what is fun for you. If it's an old Dodge, fine. If it's a new truck you want and can afford it, fine. I feel more comfortable in old stuff.
Bill
Old 09-16-2011, 02:48 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
character

a 1st gen is a real truck, and even compared to other oilburners of that vintage it's got CHARACTER

today's creature comfy trucks, all full of electronic engine and tranny controls and electric interior gizmos are really just overgrown cars...I'd like to see the reaction of one of those bozos with a rubber sack hanging under his rig to a bumper pull challenge against my 1st gen

I'd like to meet a new truck owner who gets as many compliments on their rig as I do on mine

"no school like the old school"
Old 09-16-2011, 03:44 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Great comments guys...I could quote a ton of responses...

I've had my crewcab for 18 months....been driving it for just about a year...and I love it! Wife hates it, too noisy, shakey, rattley, etc and it sounds like a big rig. Kids love it though, especially when it shakes the truck on the shut down.

Don't have any plans to sell it ever! Only way I'll stop driving it is if the gov't some how makes it illegal for me to drive it. In the mean time I will continue..slowly..to upgrade it and make it just a little more "civilized".

But I also like the quote by brainfade...

Plus, when the asteroid hits, or the Obombies attack, having a mechanical engine and a five speed means that if I can roll it down a hill, I'm driving. And I'm driving with just about anything I can pour in the tank that will burn
Wife thinks I'm paranoid and should remove the tin foil from my head....
Old 09-16-2011, 04:23 PM

Well it all been said here except, How can you not love 1gen? They are so dang ugly their pretty!!! Oh and VENT WINDOWS rule!!
Old 09-16-2011, 04:50 PM

Someone is to materialistic.

Quick Reply: new peeps including me. who will leave next