1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

new peeps including me. who will leave next

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 02:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new peeps including me. who will leave next

well just kept going back looking at old posts.......2002 stuff.

and well didnt reconize too many names.

iam relatively new to the first gen scene too.

i guess the cheap guys and the young crowd pic up first gens bomb the heck out of them..then upgrade..i can see it hapening to me soon.

its hard to compete with new stuff yes it breaks more costs more to buy more to run etc etc.......but those comforts are worth it

ride in a new duramax with a tune

will blow the doors off my first gen all while the heated seats are on.

and iam into mine for $16k

either i need to spend more money or give up and pass her along

so the question is..............HOW long have you owned your truck............and plan on owning it.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:29 AM
KRB

Received 523 Likes on 363 Posts
I've enjoyed my dad's since he bought it new in 1993. I've had mine almost 10 years now. I have no desire to leave this truck unles it leaves me first.

Sounds like maybe you bought yours for the wrong reasons?
Old 09-16-2011, 05:41 AM
Unless it's untaxed, then it's red.

I had a new fancy powerstroke with bells and whistles and I sold it for my first gen and cash in my pocket. (Cash has of course been spent on first gen)

I'll enjoy the new fancy computers that run on diesel when my friends waste their money on them. I'll sit shotgun and think to myself "sucker!!"

The new ones are sweet, mega sweet for sure, but as soon as a problem comes up you can buy a nice first gen for the cost of a dealership repair.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1992 w250

I bought my 1 st new truck 1997 dodge ram 1/2 ton 4x4 just gave to my son 6 months ago. He redone truck from top to bottom looks better than it did new. Bought my 1992 w250 6 weeks ago told him he can have this one when die. So I hope I will have this one along time. The new trucks are sweat and go fast. But will never have the respect that a 1st generation old school dodge has .
Old 09-16-2011, 07:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
See my signature There's a 4x4 crew cab mid 80's or so up the road that looks as though it may need me to buy it and give it a heart transplant....
Old 09-16-2011, 07:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My dad bought it in 96 and I got it from him 6 years ago now. 15 years in the family now with plenty of money thrown at it and still looks beat to hell. Thought about selling it then the wife said no. Told me to fix it up for my own personal 2wd dually hot rod and buy another 1st gen 4x4 ext/cab. With her giving that kind of permission I forgot why I wanted to sell it in the first place. Probably will never get rid of the truck, and if I do I would probably pull the motor and find a project to use it in.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:03 AM

Owned this '93 for a couple years now. For as much work as I have into it, have to keep it forever. Could never get any of the money or work back on it.

However, these trucks only go up in value. And I know what I have - a truck that will not stop. Which is what I was after. And this is more of a truck than anything being sold nowadays. It's pure truck.

Not a homogonized, computerized, over engineered contraption built in 3D long before it ever hit the ground, made so complicated you have to go to tech school and have a rolling tool box dedicated to keeping the specialized tools, money and manuals it takes or will take to keep it running.

A vehicle is four wheels and a motor, not too complicated. Someone figured they could make more money on them by making them spaceships and requiring a degree in rocket science to work on them.

Having said that, there is something to be said for the newer trucks. Fit and finish, accoutrements, ergonomics... so far removed from the 1st gen's that it's like ridding in a covered wagon with upholstery.

If I was rich I would have a newer diesel. And three clean, tight 1st gens. And I would still work on them. For now, I'm happy with my one.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:35 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Almost anything that is likely to put any of my antique trucks on the side of the road is repairable on the side of the road.

Get stranded in any of the computerized electronic night-mare trucks and it is a trip behind the wrecker and several nights/days in a motel while the 90-day wonder experts at the dealership play let's swap parts until something fixes it.

I am up close, in, and under all manner of vehicles every day and newer they are the flimsier they are.

It used to be that the rich guy bought a new truck or car, drove it a year, traded it for the next new one; and, one of the better off citizens would buy that used vehicle and keep it another two years; then, some less fortunate would end up with it and drive the wheels off of it for many years with maybe replacing the alternator and water-pump.

Now, these disposable cars/trucks have such a short life-term, that by the time that the poor people end up with them, there are so many failed expensive components that the poor guy is lucky to get another year out of it before it quits for good.

Those in authority have seen to it that the peasants of America no longer have need for a driving license; the only people on the highways are going to be the wealthy.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:44 AM

I think the feeling is the same when your on the side of the road with the hood up.
Trucks should be used.
I like the 2012 4 door long bed.
I just don't think you get 50K worth of truck for 50K
Look At the Ford Raptors Bent frames on the truck when you take them off road and mash the gas.
Is that a deal I think that truck is 45K
I think you can do what you want go for it.
My old 93 D350 does me just fine and it is rust free. Pulls like a king.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:58 AM

1st things 1st buying a brand new truck is the absolute worst way to invest your money!!!
I sold a 24 valve and bought a 12 have had it about 4 years now. I don't have any plans to sell it. Its my daily driver and I put 115 miles on it each week day. Yes I have had to put some money in it but i don't have to put 800 plus dollars a month. That being said If i win the lotto I'll buy my wife something new never brand new. And I will send my first gen to Chip Fouse (Spelling?)
Old 09-16-2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Lucas1
well just kept going back looking at old posts.......2002 stuff.

and well didnt reconize too many names.

iam relatively new to the first gen scene too.

i guess the cheap guys and the young crowd pic up first gens bomb the heck out of them..then upgrade..i can see it hapening to me soon.

its hard to compete with new stuff yes it breaks more costs more to buy more to run etc etc.......but those comforts are worth it

ride in a new duramax with a tune

will blow the doors off my first gen all while the heated seats are on.

and iam into mine for $16k

either i need to spend more money or give up and pass her along

so the question is..............HOW long have you owned your truck............and plan on owning it.
Let me know if you decide to pass her along.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:27 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
K.I.S.S. rules

Originally Posted by downhome
Owned this '93 for a couple years now. For as much work as I have into it, have to keep it forever. Could never get any of the money or work back on it.

However, these trucks only go up in value. And I know what I have - a truck that will not stop. Which is what I was after. And this is more of a truck than anything being sold nowadays. It's pure truck.

Not a homogonized, computerized, over engineered contraption built in 3D long before it ever hit the ground, made so complicated you have to go to tech school and have a rolling tool box dedicated to keeping the specialized tools, money and manuals it takes or will take to keep it running.

A vehicle is four wheels and a motor, not too complicated. Someone figured they could make more money on them by making them spaceships and requiring a degree in rocket science to work on them
amen, brother.

I could have purchased any dang diesel pickup truck I wanted but I DON'T TRUST ELECTRONICS. I keep my 1st gen well-maintained and plan to keep it FOREVER. If it ever breaks down, almost any old-time mechanic can solve the problem. KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID is my motto (which is exactly why I'm looking for a mechanical diesel to re-power my boat with)
Old 09-16-2011, 10:36 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lucas trust me keep your first gen Had my first truck for over 20 yr's converted it to 4x ran a couple small block's to Death then dropped a BB 440 in it Ran the heck out of it only thing that stunk was 6mpg so a buddy talked me into Diesel Man what a difference it made even rolled it n drug it back home 500 miles to rebuild it even bigger Then I got a wild hair n sold it Yeah I got 10 G's out of it turned around put 5g's down on a New 08 drove it for 3 n 1/2 yr's loved it but every time I saw or heard a first gen motor running I would kick myself and then to boot even traded in the 08 and got a 2011 Way Nicer then my crew but as you know I am in the process of building another first gen crewcab Just for the simple fact I miss the sound and the plain Coolness of the old truck's All I can say is Keep your truck you will kick yourself for sellin it there's Nothing like a sweet runnin truck .
Old 09-16-2011, 10:38 AM

I agree with a brand new truck being one of the worst investments a guy could make.

That being said,why spend 50k on a truck that's worth 40k or less in a year when you can buy a VERY NICE 1st gen. For 10k that will always be worth 10k , maybe even more,if you care for it
Old 09-16-2011, 10:47 AM
9MM
Banned

There has been so many first gens in the family every time I climb in mine n fire it up it reminds me of my grandfathers truck from when I was about 6 or 7.

To me first gens are the real work horse out there I don't care if a duramax flies by me as I know one day he will have his heads melted to the block. I can f!!! with fords all day long n to me that's all that matters.

You ever realize why the 24 valve second gens get p-pumps It's because that system they used was ****.

Oh I had a 6.4L powerjoke try n loose me the one day up the mountain after I flew by him I realized he had an edge tuner n all that stuff. I slowed down for a switchback n he flies by me puts it on max tune (Shoulda seen the smoke) but I still kept up with him.

Quick Reply: new peeps including me. who will leave next