1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

New PATC transmission is in... need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fred Swanson
just check it warmed up on flat ground and in neutral. if over the full mark by more than 1/2 inch, drain a quart out.
The_Head, for the purpose of identifying your issue, run the stock one. if it makes you feel better, we can raise the pressure some, I can show you how, really easy.
The_Head :
I think you may need your pressure raised.
When you're towing you say the problem is less pronounced - when you're towing the trans is under more of a load and pressures rise..
I raised my pressures ~ 30 psi but then I've also got a modified T-Go kit in it.

Fred - I had the tranny shop set mine when they rebuilt it and installed it.
Could you tell me how to measure and raise the pressures? I'd like to bump them a little more.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:17 AM

Here's some pics to help with this operation. When the VB is in place, you'll need to cut down the end of the 3/16ths allen wrench to make it work up there.

Put a pressure gauge in the main line test port on the passenger side about in the middle. This will allow you to see before and after pressures. A 0-300 is the best gauge to use, if you want to test every aspect of the trans. For just the base test, a 0-100 should be good.

First pic, is off the drivers side with the pan removed. You can't see the adjuster unless you look up at the edge of the VB.

Name:  vb1.gif
Views: 224
Size:  26.0 KB

2nd pic, is self explanatory.
Name:  vb2.gif
Views: 223
Size:  147.3 KB

Your pressure will only increase relative to throttle position. The more throttle, the more pressure, based on the kickdown cable adjustment.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow those pics came out weird but i never knew there was any tweaks you could do to the valve body.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:26 AM

Thnx Fred.
Gonna wait 'til I get the triple disk TC and moded VB in before I mess with the pressures, but they'll definitly be going up.

HURRY Uncle Sam !!!
Old 02-26-2010, 11:39 AM

Why would PATC send you a BONE STOCK valve body with a "megaviper" trans? It has like every other upgrade but they give you a stock valve body in it? wow

I'm thinking maybe take the PATC valve body and put in a $120 Transgo shift kit and put it in. I definely wanna want to run a stock valve body with all those upgraded clutches and parts, clutches might not get the "bite" they need
Old 02-26-2010, 01:17 PM

for testing purposes, there's no risk. Would I drive it that way for a long period, no. The VB mods work with the clutch setup, to coordinate perfect shift timing.

Sorry about the crappy snap32 converstion pics, gif's don't look to clean, but they're small in size.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Fred Swanson
Did you ever put the PATC VB in?

With the TC cable disconnected, your shifts should be quick, 1.2.3 all before 15 mph
Don't run it with the calbe disconnected, you won't have enough line pressure and will burn up clutches!!
Old 02-26-2010, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Crossy's son
Why would PATC send you a BONE STOCK valve body with a "megaviper" trans? It has like every other upgrade but they give you a stock valve body in it? wow

It was by request. I ordered it without the valve body or a torque convertor because I already had that stuff from Sun Coast.

I was kind of surprised to see any kind of valve body from them.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:47 PM

Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts
You might have to pull the shuttle valves and very carefully debur the leading and trailing edges. But you have to be really conservative.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:32 PM

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/....html?t=265745

Tryed this adjustment today and it made the problem worse. Adjusted line pressure a full turn CW. Now it wants to drive around in 2nd gear almost everywhere, lol. Gonna try and pull the pan tonight and go CCW 2.5 turns and see if that helps.

Maybe the Suncoast VB was making too much pressure for the trans to shift out of second?
Old 03-20-2010, 10:26 PM

so you get 1-2, and nothing else?

if you turned the pressure screw CW, you dropped the pressure 3 psi.

You change the blue loctite adjuster for kickdown? it sure seems like you're getting too much throttle pressure now. Will it drop into 3rd if you run up the rpm, and let off the throttle?
Old 03-21-2010, 11:22 AM

What would happen when I went about +1 turns on the line pressure screw is I could drive it around town (30 mph) and it would just stay in 2nd.

If I sped up leaving town it might shift into 3rd but I either had to accelerate at about half of WOT and it kind of bangs into 3rd. If I go WOT it stays in 2nd and winds out at about 55 mph, I have to get out of the throttle. Then in bangs into 3rd hard and shifts into OD immediately after that.

It still does this now, after I went back into the pan and turned the screw to the left about 2.5 turns. (-1.5 turns from it's baseline) It no longer sticks in 2nd in town however.

I think I'm just going to cave and call PATC and order their VB. Can't really enjoy the full power of my motor when I have to let out to get the 2-3 shift all the time.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:51 AM

Getrag.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:09 PM

Quiet you!

I don't know how to drive a stick

Just kidding
Old 07-29-2010, 07:17 PM

A couple of months ago a local torqueflite guru told me he thought the TV cable was sticking and not getting full travel. I'm going to try a new TV cable and adjust it accordingly.

If that doesn't work, I'm going to send a stock valve body back to PATC, have them install the shift kit they use for the megaviper transmissions, and try that out.

Quick Reply: New PATC transmission is in... need help