1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

New PATC transmission is in... need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 02:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the 46rh is confusing them. Most of the time its referred to as an A518... that is weird they insist its a 47rh.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Head
It never got to third. It shifted to 2nd during the first testdrive, then in the others it never got out of first.
sounds like a governor issue, possibly the governor is sticking(but shouldnt since the tranny is new) even if the governor was for a gasser it should still shift, maybe not at the right speeds, but itll shift. Check pressure on the trans when driving, even if it only stays in 1st, at least see if your pressure is high enough... or to high. a good base is 1psi per 1mph. If the pressure is good, yank the valve body and check all the valves to make sure they aint sticking or binding up anywhere. Also with the TV cable adjustment, if its held all the way open (full pressure on the trans) it'll shift way late, if its down at idle it'll shift early, so even if your cable was hooked up itll still shift, it'll just be either really early or really late, (its not good to have the cable disconnected for too long when driving, it'll slowly were out clutches due to the incorrect trans pressure)

jason
Old 06-01-2009, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Crossy's son
I think the 46rh is confusing them. Most of the time its referred to as an A518... that is weird they insist its a 47rh.
well if it is a 47rh, then your valve body should have two electric solenoids on it, one for lockup tc and one for OD, if you only got one.. then it should be an A518, unless they really messed up and sent you a 47rh with an A518 valvebody and gasser governor weights.... dang that would be the ****up of the century for them Hope that aint the problem.

jason
Old 06-01-2009, 03:32 PM

Well, we tried the governor pressure test. When I put into Reverse it pegged the 100 psi gauge.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:41 PM

Well, we tried the governor pressure test. When I put into Reverse it pegged the 100 psi gauge.

WHOA!!!!! huston we have a psi problem! time to pull the valve body and check all you valves...... and probably pull it apart, clean it out with brake clean and check all the little ***** and make sure nothings hanging up or is jammed into the steel valvebody plate, ive seen it happen before, thatll cause the pressure to build.

jason
Old 06-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by 65fury
WHOA!!!!! huston we have a psi problem! time to pull the valve body and check all you valves...... and probably pull it apart, clean it out with brake clean and check all the little ***** and make sure nothings hanging up or is jammed into the steel valvebody plate, ive seen it happen before, thatll cause the pressure to build.

jason
I am no expert but from taking to Mike JD730 he said that the pressures in reverse are a lot more than in forward gears. I could be wrong but i think he said they are in the 200's. If Mike reads this i am sure he can steer you in the right directions.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by archer39
I am no expert but from taking to Mike JD730 he said that the pressures in reverse are a lot more than in forward gears. I could be wrong but i think he said they are in the 200's. If Mike reads this i am sure he can steer you in the right directions.
of course i could get out my service manual and take a look. if you need me to do that let me know.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:23 PM

Sorry guys, had it hooked up to the wrong port.

The problem is kind of intermittent now. I think we got it where it would start out in second... not sure. When it's stuck in first it reads 20 psi at 30 mph.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:30 PM

The pressure jumps to 10 with any movement, then seems to hang about 10-15 psi below whatever mph is from there, occasionally shifting into second then not downshifting unless manually with the shifter. Also, the pressure seems to stick at ten when you come to a stop.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:14 PM

It shifts into 2nd if you rap it out in first (~30 mph and ~20 psi) and then let off. Then it upshifts...
Old 06-01-2009, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Crossy's son
When I told them the 91.5-93 Dodges used a A518, they corrected me. "Your truck uses an A618, A518's are gasser trannies."

I was like "mmmkay then."
Old 06-02-2009, 10:14 AM

I guess I'll get back on the horn with PATC. The Suncoast line is busy almost all the time.

Looking forward to getting this worked out. You get to feel a little bit of how awesome it is when it starts out in 2nd. It accelerates to 40 very nicely with minimal effort.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:23 PM

When I told them the 91.5-93 Dodges used a A518, they corrected me. "Your truck uses an A618, A518's are gasser trannies."

I was like "mmmkay then."
Thats kinda scary..
Old 06-02-2009, 11:43 PM

Well, we got it kind of working. Suncoast said to put it on jacks and run it, so we tried that and it shifted almost normally. PATC said the TV line was too tight and to give it some slack, and to also try driving it without the TV line hooked up to see if that changed anything. We did both those things.. It seemed something was in a bind inside the trans when we took the line off, kind of hard to explain it in words.

The pressure still lags 5-10 psi behind mph until about 30-35 then its catches up to be ~ 1 psi:1 mph.

It's starting to shift but it's not 100% yet... sometimes it won't downshift into 1st until the very last second like when the truck is going 1 mph. Sometimes when the truck is accelerating, it will shift into 2nd normally, then wait until the truck is rapped out to shift to third, then it will immediately shift into OD. 1....2.................................3.4

Pretty sure the governor weights are not the problem anymore. Thank goodness.

It's getting better though. We think it just needed to be ran through the motions. I'm going out of town for 4 days, so I let my brother have it to drive around. He also knows a first gen guru in Colorado (goes by Laser Bob on TDR iirc) that he's going to call up.

It'll make a nice little cloud of black smoke and leave one nice long black mark now if you mash it from a stop. It's starting to get evil...
Old 06-05-2009, 02:39 PM

Did you ever put the PATC VB in?

With the TC cable disconnected, your shifts should be quick, 1.2.3 all before 15 mph

Quick Reply: New PATC transmission is in... need help