1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

New member, need advice on older truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 07:20 AM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Yeah, but that's only cause you're here...
Just goes to show wherever you go there you are.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I original wanted a 90's Gen 1 w250, but everything around here that is completely rotted out, people were asking anywhere from $2500 to $3500. My buddy had this 76, once I seen it I know I had to grab it. It's older and barely ever see them. So he told me he would take $2000 for it, and in the as he was pulling the cummins out of his rat rod I offered him $1000 for that. So I feel it's a pretty solid deal.

Once I pull this 318 out what is a good price to ask for it?
Old 08-05-2016, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
Basically it is an almost bolt up swap.
There as several ways to do it so doing some reading and then asking specific questions would help me, as I could write a book on that swap.
The engine bay is basically the same '72-'93 with small changes to some things.
I would also have any of the small parts needed to pull this off.
As far as the intercooler what's the best ways to mount and fit it? I'm sure once I get this project rolling I will have more questions to ask.

As far as small parts are you referring to the intercooler, tube hoses, axles and etc.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Xtrixplex
As far as the intercooler what's the best ways to mount and fit it? I'm sure once I get this project rolling I will have more questions to ask.

As far as small parts are you referring to the intercooler, tube hoses, axles and etc.
On that truck you will probably will have to go non intercooled like the 90 to 91.5 first gens. There is nothing wrong with that If you don't tow heavy and/or run big horsepower. I am not going to intercool my 90 4X4 build because I want to keep the older grille.

Oliver is the og to guy for parts around here.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:31 AM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
been a while since I bought an engine, but we used to get them out of the boneyard, hearing it run for $250-$500.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:36 AM

Received 2,551 Likes on 1,690 Posts
I would NON intercool it, unless that is what you have all ready.
You will still need to modify or swap out the radiator brackets so the Cummins motor will fit. The V-8 core support has deeper brackets to hold the radiator closer to the smaller V-8 motor.

As far as the small parts you may need, it could be about any of the parts you will find you need. It could be the diesel radiator or the fan shroud… it could be 1st gen motor mounts to those Dana 60/70 axles.
I work on 1st gen 12V trucks very often, drive three of them on the road in the summer plus a '93 yard plow and '89 dump truck for firewood. I also have four more 1st gen Cummins swaps / project rigs waiting for me to have the time. All this means I have a good collection of spare parts.
I have a serious Dodge truck addiction.
The following 2 users liked this post by oliver foster:
mknittle (08-05-2016), PapeCAT (08-09-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 08:40 PM

I would NON intercool it, unless that is what you have all ready.
You will still need to modify or swap out the radiator brackets so the Cummins motor will fit. The V-8 core support has deeper brackets to hold the radiator closer to the smaller V-8 motor.

As far as the small parts you may need, it could be about any of the parts you will find you need. It could be the diesel radiator or the fan shroud… it could be 1st gen motor mounts to those Dana 60/70 axles.
I work on 1st gen 12V trucks very often, drive three of them on the road in the summer plus a '93 yard plow and '89 dump truck for firewood. I also have four more 1st gen Cummins swaps / project rigs waiting for me to have the time. All this means I have a good collection of spare parts.
I have a serious Dodge truck addiction.
I already have an intercooler for it and would like to keep it intercoolered. So basically have to move the core support and radiator forward a little in order to fit the intercooler.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:56 PM

Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts
The I/C mounts on the outside of the core support. It doesn't move at all! I took a gas rad support and installed an 1989 radiator and then a banks I/C to it after the fact. If your not afraid of getting dirty and/or cutting up some stuff you can make what you have work. I like you wanted to keep my grille (Red Canyon Sport) and mount an intercooler. My motor was a 1990 non I/C version. So when I came across the Banks I/C kit I knew I had to have it. Then came cutting two holes in the support, removing the center brace, and then the scary thought of shaving the red grille. "For those who don't know those colored grilles are so rare"!!!! Anyways, to make my point you don't have to lose your old school grille. Ive seen it done several times.

I do agree with Oli though. If the truck wont tow more weight than that of the truck nor do you plan to go crazy with timing, injectors, and or pump mods a non I/C setup is how I would go. But if an I/C is a must than with some simple tools and work you can make it work.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by freight train
The I/C mounts on the outside of the core support. It doesn't move at all! I took a gas rad support and installed an 1989 radiator and then a banks I/C to it after the fact. If your not afraid of getting dirty and/or cutting up some stuff you can make what you have work. I like you wanted to keep my grille (Red Canyon Sport) and mount an intercooler. My motor was a 1990 non I/C version. So when I came across the Banks I/C kit I knew I had to have it. Then came cutting two holes in the support, removing the center brace, and then the scary thought of shaving the red grille. "For those who don't know those colored grilles are so rare"!!!! Anyways, to make my point you don't have to lose your old school grille. Ive seen it done several times.

I do agree with Oli though. If the truck wont tow more weight than that of the truck nor do you plan to go crazy with timing, injectors, and or pump mods a non I/C setup is how I would go. But if an I/C is a must than with some simple tools and work you can make it work.
I won't be towing with the truck, I have a 14 cummins for that. This truck will be a restore project, street queen and something I can bring to local car shows. I would like to throw some horsepower at it, not to crazy though. The motor I have is a 93 and has twin turbos on it with 6x18 injectors already. As far as getting dirty and having to do a little fab with that won't bother me.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:45 AM

is the engine set up for a intercooler? My guess is it isn't being from a ratrod.
If it were my project, being a streetrod I would put it together without a intercooler and watch the pyrometer. that will tell you if you need more coolng.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by mknittle
is the engine set up for a intercooler? My guess is it isn't being from a ratrod.
If it were my project, being a streetrod I would put it together without a intercooler and watch the pyrometer. that will tell you if you need more coolng.
The motor was set up with an intercooler, and had one on his rat rod.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:22 AM

Received 2,551 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by Xtrixplex
I already have an intercooler for it and would like to keep it intercoolered. So basically have to move the core support and radiator forward a little in order to fit the intercooler.
No.
Re-read my post.
The core support stays in the same place, but the radiator BRACKETS are deeper on a gas truck to get the Rad. closer to the engine.
To use a gas core support you would need to cut down and / or modify the brackets to make room.
The I/C goes in front of the core support behind the grille. With some cutting / grinding and welding a few brackets on that can be done as well
The best thing for you would be look at a 1st gen Dodge '91.5-'93 engine bay then look at yours. It will all become very apparent.
It is hard to explain how to modify a stock set up to someone that doesn't know what a stock 1st gen diesel set up looks like.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:28 PM

Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts
I would use a spot weld cutter and totally remove the two radiator mounts. Then since its a I/C motor buy a radiator/mounts from Oli and simply install a crossflow. For the I/C find a buddy with a large hole saw bit and borrow it.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:32 PM

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
I would turn that pump up, add FleetPride stacks and go water/meth and skip the IC.
A 13 speed in a rat rod makes the whole mess just plain righteous.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:40 PM

No.
Re-read my post.
The core support stays in the same place, but the radiator BRACKETS are deeper on a gas truck to get the Rad. closer to the engine.
To use a gas core support you would need to cut down and / or modify the brackets to make room.
The I/C goes in front of the core support behind the grille. With some cutting / grinding and welding a few brackets on that can be done as well
The best thing for you would be look at a 1st gen Dodge '91.5-'93 engine bay then look at yours. It will all become very apparent.
It is hard to explain how to modify a stock set up to someone that doesn't know what a stock 1st gen diesel set up looks like.
I know what you are saying, I was picturing something else in my head. I've seen 1st Gen.