1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

New Member intro

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member intro

Hello from Idaho. I just purchased an intercooled 91 Cummins with 133k miles to go into my 95 6.5 liter Diesel Suburban. I also have a 02 tranny that has been re-arranged with parts from a 96 so that it will go behind the Cummins and not need the computer. I am looking for a Turbo for the truck and would like to add a few things to bump my horsepower. Currently I do not have a turbo. The guy I bought it from has one but there is a piece of the housing that is broken off. He still has the piece, and he wants $100 for the housing. Here is a picture of the Turbo.

Should I buy this one? I have been told to buy an HX35. Does this sound right? What about the housing size? This Suburban is a daily driver and I want some power but and responsiveness. I'm also considering injectors but don't want to destroy mileage. I will also add 4 inch exhaust and a BHAF. Thanks in advance for your replys.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:58 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Pic not showing up. An HX-35 is a good upgrade for a 1st gen.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:42 PM

Here is another pic

Old 05-13-2006, 06:49 PM

Wanna Diesel

I am looking at your truck modifications in your signature and I'm wondering how the truck preforms? Obviously it is pushing a lot of power. How does it do for gas mileage? Tell me more about your turbo, when are you running out of air? How would that turbo compare to the HX-35 I was looking at? What size housing are you running? Does it spool quickly and is the truck peppy offf the line? I've got a million questions and will be reading through the forum like crazy soaking it all up. I am looking for some sort of base to run against so I can more fully know what to expect.

One last question somebody mentioned the Northwest Bombers club. I'm in Southern Idaho, are there are bombers near me? I'd love to attend a meeting?
Old 05-13-2006, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by xyz12383318
I am looking at your truck modifications in your signature and I'm wondering how the truck preforms? Obviously it is pushing a lot of power. How does it do for gas mileage? Tell me more about your turbo, when are you running out of air? How would that turbo compare to the HX-35 I was looking at? What size housing are you running? Does it spool quickly and is the truck peppy offf the line? I've got a million questions and will be reading through the forum like crazy soaking it all up. I am looking for some sort of base to run against so I can more fully know what to expect.

One last question somebody mentioned the Northwest Bombers club. I'm in Southern Idaho, are there are bombers near me? I'd love to attend a meeting?
Well one of dave friend went for a drive with him and his head ended up boncing off the back glass

My gess is that it spools vary fast I'll let dave or somebody els coment on the rest.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:05 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by xyz12383318

The truck is a blast to drive. I wouldn't say it's pushing a lot of power though, with others making roughly double. Fuel mileage is 18.5 mpg at 70 mph (same as when it was stock), but has dropped to 14.5 mpg in town from 16 mpg stock. The turbo is incapable of clearing up the exhaust, that's why I say it needs more air. It pulls strong through the whole operating range. My turbo is what is known as a hybrid, it uses the hot side and center section from a small turbo with the compressor wheel of a large turbo. Mine is built off a stock turbo (H1C), a similar hybrid can be built off an HX-35. I have a 14 cm WG housing. It spools pretty quick, although not as fast as a stock turbo with a 12 cm housing or an HX-35. Mine's a stick, so unless I want to abuse the clutch by starting in 3rd it is not peppy off the line - but that's a transmission issue and nothing to do with the engine or turbo.

Sounds like you are starting off right, keep reading and feel free to ask when you have come across something confusing.

The best way to find out more about the NW Bombers is to visit their website.

http://www.nwbombers.com/