1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

New Injector Pump..OD & Cruise Control Problems. (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 01:56 PM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts
Re:New Injector Pump..OD & Cruise Control Problems. (Long)

Hey,<br>The connector of the TPS has to be facing the engine. Its in the wrong position, thats why it won't go much higher. Point it out to the dealer and make him fix it. Have them fix the leak at the same time. TPS's can be adjusted in 10 sec with a 10mm wrench, under the steel bracket if its mounted right.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds all too familiar.......I have this argument before with service managers. I would point out that while the pump was being replaced the TPS had to be removed and reinstalled and it is not unreasonable for it to have not been done correctly. Ask them to hook it up to their scanner and see if it is within the proper specifications. If not then adjust it. If and only if the TPS is found to be faulty you would be willing to pay them for their time. Ask to be there when they do the test. If they refuse for whatever reason ask for the number of the regonal general service manager, customer service rep and that you would like to speak with the owner of the dealership. <br><br>Has worked for me the few times it got to that point. <br><br>Now for what its worth, on my TPS the connector points toward the engine. When the TPS is off the plastic lug sits at about a 45 deg angle, top toward the front of the truck. When the TPS is installed I have to rotate it CCW 15-20deg for it to engage the plastic lug.<br><br>Good luck<br><br>Jay
Old 03-06-2003, 09:22 PM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you look at the two mating parts of the TPS, that is the hex head and hex socket, keep in mind that having the &quot;flats&quot; of the hex head off by just one &quot;flat&quot; is enough to throw your entire range of operation/adjustment out the window....<br><br>As jbolt said, the connector MUST be pointed to the engine and the spring loading on the hex head (bolt end) can cause it to do a tiny rotation when removed. That minor rotation can mean that the hex head will fit in one of two positions when re-installed. It must go back in the same position it came out of.<br>Don't mess with it..... let them fix it, and insist on watching !!<br>If you adjust it too much now, then even when re-installed it may be tough to find the original position(s) of things.<br>Voltage can range from a low of 0.5vdc to a high of 1.25vdc depending on the overall system (eg: throttle cable, tranny etc etc.) the important part is the total increase from the idle voltage... it should be an increase of 2.25 - 2.75vdc above idle (at rest) setting.<br>Good luck....<br><br>bob.