1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

New to forum, New truck project

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New truck project

I have been a 1st gener for a couple of years now and love to consult this forum for any questions I have. Fortunetly most of the questions I have had are already answered so I havent been much of a poster. Now I am working on a strictly "race" truck. Four 1st gens later I am now in a better position to play. I have tweaked on them all a little but nothing like I have in the works for this one. I have a few picture of the work done so far I bought it a fixer upper and it is now well on its way. Its a 1989 5speed bought it for $1800 with a leaking injection pump, blown turbo, missing driverside motor mount, and only 1 brake working. Within the first few days I replaced the motormounts, front rotors, brake pads, driverside caliper, fixed non-working tailights/brake lights, new h1c from a 93 truck, and got it driveable. Now for the good stuff..... (already on) 16x8 powedercoated wheels on the rear with 28x11.5 mickey thompson et streets, 215/65/16 front tires on the cleaned up painted stock wheels, 3in lowering schakles, 5in hood stack, and some Pirate diesel stickers..... (going on next week) big water meth kit, 60mm gds, 16cm housing, brand new injection pump flow benched to the maximum fuel screw, 3/8in fuel lines from intank draw straw to pump, holley blue for lift pump, pump to head, boost gauge, and egt gauge..... Depending on how all of this goes, what you guys think about it, and if I am happy with the outcome then I will asses the next steps to take. Let me know what yall think and I will try to get some more pictures of the truck and goodies.

Thanks for listening to me babble...
Name:  tires.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  87.4 KB
Name:  stack.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  138.5 KB
Name:  lowered.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  61.4 KB
Old 10-04-2010, 09:25 PM

Cool looking project looks like you are on the right path
Old 10-04-2010, 10:15 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Nice looking truck. How is the hood stack pipe held on, I mean is there a pipe coming off the turbo and inside of the pipe I see out of the hood? Reason being that I could see the motor torqing the pipe and bending the .... out of the hood. What are you doing about a fuel cone/pin?
Old 10-04-2010, 10:33 PM

It has a pipe off the turbo going into the stack on the hood... I want to get a denny t II but Im just gonna rotate it for now. Like I said this is just a starting point. I know a clutch is going to be a much needed upgrade once I get it all buttoned up tomorrow... I didnt quite get all the new fuel line, lift pump, and injection pump on this morning before I had to go to work so I havent even got to play with it yet. Might try and take it to the strip this weekend if the clutch holds messing around on the street. I should be getting my gauges in tomorrow aswell so I can monitor everything properly. We'll see how it all goes.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:58 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Grind your own pin til you get the money for a denny. I would think your clutch would hold what you got right now as long as it's in good shape.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like a great truck. Hope you have a Posi in the rear or else those slicks will be useless.......been there done that.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:23 PM

Heres just some more pictures. Didnt quite get it all done today :-/ really fustrating. I should have it done tomorrow finally. My gauges came in today though so it wasnt a total bust.. Kinda curious about my fuel pressure though, It pegs out my 15psi gauge when I turn the pump on before I try to start it. You think it will be a lower psi idling?
Name:  truck3.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  111.0 KB
Name:  truck2.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  225.0 KB
Name:  truck1.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  111.1 KB
Old 10-05-2010, 10:33 PM

cool project and welcome to the hood stack club

your valve covers look like mine
Name:  atsturbo006.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  122.1 KB
Old 10-06-2010, 02:47 PM

Well figured out what my next step on the truck is gonna be today. Complete engine rebuild. Got every thing buttoned up with the fuel system running 13 1/2 inlet pressure started up no problem and I had added quite a bit of timing so it hazed fairly well. I let it warm up befor my test drive then started out, spit and sputter a little when you loaded it up then ran strong. went to the gas station came out and saw a puddle of antifreeze uder the truck, poped the hood saw it leaking down the side of the block.. figured I had a mile to get back to the shop so I would go easy and watch temps, was SUPER sluggish no power what so ever would barely get out of its own way. Limped to the shop let it cool down then ran a cooling system pressure test and... no leak down of the system. I figure its get hot in the cylinders with all that timing and with the pressure expanded the causing it to leak. So im pretty sure im just gonna have to get studs copper gasket and light engine rebuild... Sad day
Old 10-06-2010, 07:58 PM

sounds just like a head gasket went bad to me. Your motor should be still okay... well hopefully, but theres only one way to find out. Pull that head! But before you go tearin into stuff, is there antifreeze in your oil or or oil in your antifreeze?
Old 10-07-2010, 02:25 PM

Im blown away today... I ordered the new copper head gasket and new head bolts. After getting upset about having to spend another $400 i went to the ole truck and had a few choice words with it. Then i started checking it out again, I knew it definetly had to much timing which was leading the the excessive smoke and REALLY loud diesel knock. So I moved the pump all the way away from the head, started right up and sounds way better so I looked for head gasket leaks, looked for over heating, and looked for anything abnormal. Once i let it idle and get to operating temp I decided to try a test drive again. It ran great no over heating or leaking and had way more power than it did the other day... I know for a fact the head gasket was leaking the other day so it leads me back to my conclusion of it was getting to hot with all of the timing and the cylinder pressures were way to high and thats what was causing it to weap and have extreme lack in power. Once I get my new gasket and bolts in I'll feel alot more secure to through the water meth to it.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:06 PM

Well got the 60mm GDS compressor wheel and the 16cm housing on today spool is WAY better and it sounds alot meaner. While I was in there and feelin good I had a spare grid heater laying around so I gutted it and threw it on. I also installed one water/meth nozzle and turned the fuel screw in a turn, the fuel pin to the maximum travel, turned the star wheel in all the way, and installed a lighter weight spring in the afc. Test drove it.... WOW what a differance, its almost monster status SO seeing as how that wasnt enough i put the other water meth nozzle I had in there too... Even more monster mode... Needless to say Im very pleased, gotta ease into it though because it has no problem slippin the clutch... Upgade time
Old 10-12-2010, 10:42 PM

I'd be calling South Bend if I were you. Sweet truck btw, but we need video!!!
Old 10-21-2010, 04:04 PM

Sorry its been awhile since a post Ive done quite a bit since last time but heres a little. I finally got the timing straight, and its running great, boosts more than ever and has a smooth power climb all the way up. I am in good with this machine shop and they're making me a spacer like engineered diesel for my 50mm wategate. Since I didnt have the wastegate on yet I was a little nervous to put the spray to it with the .073 nozzle so I put in my .038 nozzle and decided to give it a go. Holy geez!!! I know that shot sounds real small but with the big selinoid, lines, 900psi in the bottle, and coupled with the water/meth it is impossible to even think about getting traction. I have the water/meth and nitrous both on boost referance switchs. The water/meth comes on at 10lbs and the nitrous comes on around 20lbs. Hits at or a little below 50lbs of boost and you better hold on.. Needless to say I am very happy... hope it doesnt blow the head gasket but even if it does its good to know I have a .068 copper one waiting to go on. Hittin the track tomorrow and I'll let yall know what it does, theres this 6.4 powerstroke boy with a bullydog, exhaust,and intake that is gonna be there too.. I'll see if I can whoop up on him a little if I can shift it fast enough.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:45 PM

Name:  098.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  119.2 KB
Name:  097.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  110.3 KB

Quick Reply: New to forum, New truck project