1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

New first gen owner with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New first gen owner with a few questions

Great site everyone. Seems like a great group of people. I recognize some NC folks from some 4x4 sites (Bruiser, Bigwaylon).

I am typically a jeep person (SJs I have a wagoneer, J10, J20, and M715), but have been drawn to the dark side of oil burners lately (M1008 CUCV and now this), and just got a 1991 W250 4X4 with a 5-speed. Regular cab, about 175K on the clock, no rust, a couple of dings, and decent 33in tires.

First question is that the VIN number does not "work" with the decoder http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/specs/VIN_decode-pre94.htm

The fifth digit is M (no such option on the decoder) and the eight digit is C (I assume cummins?, but no such option on the decoder).

Not really important but wondering if this meant anything special like the getrag was going to blow up any minute.

About the getrag, it shifts smoothly and does not make noise while driving, but does rattle at idle with the clutch engaged (pedal not depressed). I have changed the oil and added 5 quarts of mobil-1 5w-30 synthetic which may have decreased the sound a little, but not gone by any means. The noise goes away when I depress the clutch or when I increase the rpms a little. There is a little vibration when I start in second, but the tranny mount need replacing so I hope that's all.

Does this sound like impending getrag grenading?

How long did your getrag make noise before it died and if so was the sound anything like this?

I am tempted to just run it like it is an go nv4500 if it give up the ghost, but wonder how long that might be (days, months, years).

Thanks,

adam
Old 07-27-2006, 02:53 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like the input bearing. Adding the extra oil many thousands of miles ago would have prevented it from happening. It will go a long time like that getting louder and louder until you can't stand it anymore before anything happens. But it is hard on the rest of the drivetrain after it starts inducing vibrations, etc.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sure its not the transfer case selector? Mine rattles, I just put a glove on it. My truck makes funny noises from the trans at times. I'm just going to drive it. The guy I got it from said probally think about rebuilding the trans in about 50k. that was at 162,000. we shall see.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by ajbirken
Great site everyone. Seems like a great group of people. I recognize some NC folks from some 4x4 sites (Bruiser, Bigwaylon).

I am typically a jeep person (SJs I have a wagoneer, J10, J20, and M715), but have been drawn to the dark side of oil burners lately (M1008 CUCV and now this), and just got a 1991 W250 4X4 with a 5-speed. Regular cab, about 175K on the clock, no rust, a couple of dings, and decent 33in tires.

First question is that the VIN number does not "work" with the decoder http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/specs/VIN_decode-pre94.htm

The fifth digit is M (no such option on the decoder) and the eight digit is C (I assume cummins?, but no such option on the decoder).

Not really important but wondering if this meant anything special like the getrag was going to blow up any minute.

About the getrag, it shifts smoothly and does not make noise while driving, but does rattle at idle with the clutch engaged (pedal not depressed). I have changed the oil and added 5 quarts of mobil-1 5w-30 synthetic which may have decreased the sound a little, but not gone by any means. The noise goes away when I depress the clutch or when I increase the rpms a little. There is a little vibration when I start in second, but the tranny mount need replacing so I hope that's all.

How long did your getrag make noise before it died and if so was the sound anything like this?

I am tempted to just run it like it is an go nv4500 if it give up the ghost, but wonder how long that might be (days, months, years).

Thanks,

adam
Alltho my getrag didn't make any noise,ether then the rattle in nutrol. When i replace my clutch the pilot bearing was toast! New clutch,...no noise!

the 2nt gear take off noise may be some thing els intirely!!!

Dave,and ethers will chime in soon!
Old 07-27-2006, 06:01 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

That sounds like gear rattle to me. Some of 'em do it, some of 'em don't. It's much more common with an aftermarket clutch due to the lighter rotating weight. Nothing to worry about, keep driving.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:04 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I'll probably just keep on driving it like it is.

I've found a leak from the injection pump. Sounds like a good excuse to replace the governor spring with the 3200 rpm one.

I'll try to get some pics soon.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:28 AM

Adam, not to really answer your question about the VIN. Just to chime in and say that mine is the EXACT same! By reading your post though I did learn/confirm that neither digit has anything to do with transmission types. As my 92 W250 CC is an auto. I'm begining to believe that the 'M' might be a cab and chassis truck (no bed from factory) Because mine is a flatbed and doesnt show any evidence of ever having a bed. And I have, what I think to be, heavier/more spring packs than 'normal' W250s.(8front, 9rear) As far as the 'C' goes. If you talk to the 3rd gen guys, they will tell you that is the High Output code for the newer trucks! Maybe ours were REALLY early test mules?