1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Never Ending Battle

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never Ending Battle

Over the last few years my truck seemingly has been quite the headache. When we bought it it was a retired plow truck and therefore ended up replacing almost everything on the frontend. Every brake related item like shoes, calipers, lines, master cylinder, etc has been replaced and there is still air in there. Everytime I get the pedal to where I want it another master blows. So far I've went through 3 remanufactured ones and am currently running on a brand new cylinder. Aside from that I need new air heater relays because my grids don't work right. I also think my OD is intertwined to this judging by the connector that is on the side branching off from the TPS. I figure I need a new alternator. I've got a bent rocker panel. I've replaced the steering arm and tie rod ends along with upper ball joint bushings. I replaced the Warn hubs because the previous owner didn't take the time to take care of things and water was getting in there. The tranny went last fall so that to was rebuilt. Recently it stopped shifting the way it should so it had to go back under the knife. While it was there the rear yoke on the transfer case was replaced. There has been countless wheel and pinion seals. All U-joints in the front end and the front driveshaft have been replaced(this includes the constant velocity joint). I bought a 12cm Housing and I now the gasket on the oil return on the bottom side of the turbo is leaking. My lift pump is leaking so I went and blew 500 bucks on a piston pump(foolish maybe but I did). Now the other day I started my truck, turned the steering wheel and CRUNCH... there goes the steering box. So now she's parked until I can fix what I need to get it going. I'd like to get a Borgeson steering shaft from Piers if I could but it doesn't look the best. I guess I've also replaced a water pump and stopped a few leaks here and there with new hose. The front end is terribly out of alignment so I guess that needs fixed to save on tires. Other than that, besides typical maintenance I'm doing alright lol.

To sum this all up I'm a bit tired of replacing things because I figure I'm to the point where I should be modifiying the odd thing. I'd like to think I'm not the only one with this problem but ah well. I just needed to vent.

Mike
Old 04-18-2006, 09:22 PM
REALLY old dog

Smile

Mike ,cheer up you have replaced almost everything that can go wrong , now on those brakes did you go to the drivers side of rear axle and blead them there ?
I blead my brakes i`ll bet 100 times and would still have air in them until i blead right rear then on left side of axle on frame then left side then the right front then left front.
had replaced 2 master cylinders , and ill bet if i had known to bleed them correctly the first time i would have been finished.
good luck
Claude
Old 04-18-2006, 09:34 PM

Yup, I bleed farthest away and work my way back to the cylinder. I'm tempted to gravity bleed them but haven't had the time to let her sit just yet. Crack all the bleeder screws a small notch and let them sit. I might give that a try once I get her back in the shop.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Save yourself some headache, get a cheap power bleeder, saves a lot of time. I replaced two MC it seems rebuilt ones are just a roll of the dice. On your steering what broke exactly ?
Old 04-18-2006, 09:56 PM

It was the gears inside the steering box itself. At the moment I can turn my wheel about a turn and a half to the right and three or four to the left with a strong drag to the right. My steering wheel is also upside down lol. Ah well, it all puts a new meaning to WIDE RIGHT TURNS.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:46 AM

a-poc,

when you have a used rig, things are bound to go out.
i have replaced a few things my self.

power steering pump.
drag link
speedo
altnernator
voltage regulator
king pins
rotors turned. with all bearings replaced, and grease seals
new front pads.

now for the need to do.......

steering shaft- need borg. shaft
new shocks
inner axel seals
vacume pump re-sealed.
a/c fixed.

this is not to mention the countless other little things
new latch in the door.
fix go pedal
sliding window lock
fading paint, due to the florida sun

with all theese things i its still cheaper than a $300-500 month truck payment.

Bob
Old 04-19-2006, 12:06 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
How did you fix the sliding window lock?
Old 04-19-2006, 04:50 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
On the brake bleeding, get (borrow/buy) a Pheonix Injector and do an RFI (reverse fluid injection)bleed.The tool may seem $$$ but IMO it`s worth it`s weight in gold, especially after you have gone thru a couple of gallons of fluid and still have a cruddy pedal (been there). I orginally got it to work on my wifes chevy but have found it to be a very valuable piece of my tool "collection". As far as all the other stuff goin south on your truck, I feel for ya...and your not alone, I just did a U-joint conversion for my steering shaft, found the steering box plate cracked (hopefully this weekend) and basically need to go thru the entire suspension because the truck pulls, rides like crap and is generally all over the road when I`m driving. The Cummins is loafing along, barely breaking a sweat but the rest of the old girl is definitely showing her 180K`s worth of age.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:26 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Mike, be careful that you don't lose track of the center position of the steering wheel while you work on the steering. Otherwise you will be replacing your clockspring. Get the wheel set straight ahead and tie it in place while the box is out.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:31 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
My list for the last 3 years/27k miles:

Door latches, passenger seat hinge, heater core, tie rods, ball joints, control arm bushings, water pump, diff clutches and internal gears, clockspring, brake booster, master cylinder, lift pump (not the piston one, stocker was leaking) and grid heater relays.

Left out stuff like brakes, tires, oil changes, and all the things I've modified.

These are old trucks and stuff is gonna break.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Mike, be careful that you don't lose track of the center position of the steering wheel while you work on the steering. Otherwise you will be replacing your clockspring. Get the wheel set straight ahead and tie it in place while the box is out.
Actually, the steering wheels been off half a turn for more than a year now. It's never bothered me and considering how much trouble it was to get that box off and on in the first place I just never went about adjusting it again. Yes, that's the second box in about 2 years. I figure that seal blew and the box took on dirt. It was only a matter of time. I figure my clockspring is toast anyway because my cruise control also does not work but my horn does so go figure. The worst part with me is there's so much to fix, instead of me taking one specific job and fixing it I end up trying to do too much too fast and it all overwhelms me. Rome wasn't built in a day eh

But thanks guys, at least I don't feel as bad about things now. Like Dave just said these are old trucks after all. I just need a friendly reminder sometimes
Old 04-23-2006, 09:18 PM

Time for an update I figure.

Starting Friday morning I took at my truck with the intentions of replacing my steering box. Everything was going good(just got the wheel off ) and I noticed the plate my steering box is mounted on is sheered off on the lower bolt closest to the cab. I had read about this so I never thought too much of it. While I'm removing the steering arm and whatnot I notice that the plate is nearly sheered completely off on the front bolt at well. So I sit back and kind of sigh. Then I get to thinking, you know, I wunder what's causing my tires to wear so poorly on the inside? I get a pry bar and pry down on the top of the steering knuckle. There's definately some up-and-down and some side-to-side play there in both the upper and lower joints. I figure I needed an upper and lower so I ordered both. While I wait for those parts to come in I continue picking at the steering box. I get the box off finally, frigging and fooling trying to get that one dang bolt that wont come, however with a little enginuity I got-r-done. With the plate off, my dad saunders in and says 'I bet you I can weld that so it wont break again'. I tell him to have at her so he wonders off with it. He comes back with a pretty good weld and I told him I was pretty impressed. After that I figured I was in the mood to take things apart so we went at it and took the plow junk off the front and from under the hood. With just all that off, my truck looked better, had more space for me to manouver and most importantly, I felt like I had accomplished a small feet in itself.

The next morning I pick up a lower ball joint kit and an upper ball joint bushing. I took to noticing that you need to take the whole drivers side steering assembly apart to get at the lower joint. With some careful persuasion I finally get all that apart and end up with some needle bearings laying on my lap from the now free spindle. I figured, 'Oh great, more parts' so I get checking things out and there is also suppose to be a bushing in front of that bearing but there wasn't. Again, more parts. I keep going with the lower joint, ignoring my spindle for now and get it all out realizing the bearing and race weren't really that warn, however the top bushing was toast. The whole issue was completely a waste of time so I did gain some headway.

That^^^ was yesterday. I still have everything apart but I figured I'd take the time and clean everything thoroughly for future benefit. I also figured I'd take my steering shaft apart as well incase I want to easily install a Borgeson shaft. With that I also removed my grill so I could clean up all the plow wires nice and tidy. If any of you have seen my truck, the wiring has been hacked so there is definately some repairing to do.

With all that said and done I've currently got parts all over the floor but I figure I'm most definately getting somewhere. I could have had half of it together by now but I have all the time in the world at the minute so why rush? Do it once and do it right eh.

One thing I learned is that when you take one thing apart, you find a dozen other problems. Ah well, she's almost completely reincarnated. I'm running out of things to replace

Mike
Old 04-24-2006, 01:03 AM

Well I don’t even know where to start. Darn near everything is new on my pickup. Or it will be soon.

This is just in the last 2-1/2- 3 years.

I am on my 2nd tranny my 4th rearend. I finally got smart and put a Dana 80 in so hopefully it will be my last. I had to get new drums/brakes/wheel cylinders/limited slip before I could put it in. I just did new breaks/drums/wheels cylinders/locker on my old Dana 70 before it went south. New rotors/brakes for the Dana 60.The tranny might come out soon and a new tranny(#3)/clutch (#3) will be going in. I am on my 8th injection pump since I bought it in 98 I will have a new one before I leave for May Madness on the 2nd of May. Twins/Stage 2 head Ported/Polished/O-ringed/ATS manifold/ARP 12mm studs/4" exhaust/custom intake. New paint/line-x/bed/injectors x4/Fass II/tool box/ tie rod ends/drag link/new seat/Borgeson shaft. New tires/wheels (This is my 3rd set of wheels since I bought it) New upper and lower king pin bushings. Etc,etc,etc Total $30-$35K+/- It adds up fast Its only got 229,000 miles on it, but it should be good for another 229,000 miles.

Yeah I know what you mean if its not one thing its another.

Stomp
Old 04-24-2006, 08:45 AM

I guess I am a lucky one. I have hardly done anything to either of my trucks. The 92 has over 260k on it and the original clutch and getrag is still in there. I had new brakes and a new altenator on last year but that is about all I've done to it, and its had a hard life.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Stomp
I am on my 2nd tranny my 4th rearend. I finally got smart and put a Dana 80 in so hopefully it will be my last. I had to get new drums/brakes/wheel cylinders/limited slip before I could put it in. I just did new breaks/drums/wheels cylinders/locker on my old Dana 70 before it went south. New rotors/brakes for the Dana 60.The tranny might come out soon and a new tranny(#3)/clutch (#3) will be going in. I am on my 8th injection pump since I bought it in 98 I will have a new one before I leave for May Madness on the 2nd of May. Twins/Stage 2 head Ported/Polished/O-ringed/ATS manifold/ARP 12mm studs/4" exhaust/custom intake. New paint/line-x/bed/injectors x4/Fass II/tool box/ tie rod ends/drag link/new seat/Borgeson shaft. New tires/wheels (This is my 3rd set of wheels since I bought it) New upper and lower king pin bushings. Etc,etc,etc Total $30-$35K+/- It adds up fast Its only got 229,000 miles on it, but it should be good for another 229,000 miles.

Yeah I know what you mean if its not one thing its another.

Stomp
Well, once I decide to make some power it looks like I'm in for another bumpy ride . But oh well, I'm not worried, parts can be replaced. Like Alan Jackson says, 'All it takes is money'

BTW Stomp, you have any more power upgrades on the go? Gotta break that 700hp number ya know.

Mike

Quick Reply: Never Ending Battle