1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Need help installing FRANTZ FILTER..

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help installing FRANTZ FILTER..

I am installing a Frantz Bypass Oil Cleaner on my '92 and I was wondering if there is a bypass outlet I can use. I noticed a large nut on the top side of where the oil filter mounts and it looks like a plug - anybody know?

Anybody have one of these on their 1st gen? I can't wait to try it out.

THANKS!
Old 01-31-2004, 08:41 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
That plug would be the easiest spot. You could even put the return into the turbo drain if you wanted, but I think most people just pick a rocker cover because it's easy. I am not interested in a bypass or synthetic in my truck because these engines can easily go 500k on plain ol' oil filters with plain ol' oil. Sure, it's better filtration, but I don't need it. The truck will rust into little tiny bits before I wear out the engine at 7k a year. Have fun with your TP filter.

P.S. I've read that the el cheapo scratchy public bathroom style TP is actually the best stuff to put in there because it's not linty.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:27 PM
DJ

You could use that or put a T at your oil press sender. Guess it depends on which side of the engine your putting it on and where your return line goes. I tried buying a gulf coast on e-bay so I was looking at mine. I think I would T the oil press switch and return to one of the valve covers, put the system under the cab. I put one of Frantz filters on my Chevy 6.2 because the oil turns black in 50 miles on that. It seems to keep it a little more clear, not quite so gritty. I didn't notice any channeling but it dosn't seem to seal 100% at the center. I think I am going to try making some kind of plate and spring to hold it tighter. One thing I noticed on the oil guard site, the guy talked about the possibility of getting lint from the tp in the engine. He suggested installing a small filter after the tp filter if you were worried about that. I would think the engine oil filter would pick up anything that might escape into the engine oil.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:25 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
"I would think the engine oil filter would pick up anything that might escape into the engine oil."

But not before it has clogged up a passage somewhere on its way from the rockers inot the pan . . .

I saw a picture of someone with a spinner-type by-pass filter on their 2nd gen truck. That is by far the way to go for bypass filtration IMO.

And Dave -- when the truck rust to nothing, you can still sell a running engine . . .
Old 02-15-2004, 11:44 PM

I am going to put a frantz filter on my rig. They offer a adapter block that goes under the full flow filter with a tap to send oil to the by pass filter. It costs 55.00 so I think I will put a T on the oil pressure sender. I would think twice about returning oil to a valve cover as that little puppy can put out a lot of oil and the valve assembly might drown. They recomend returning to the crank case. I don't know where the turbo oil return is but that might be ok if it is headed toward the pan.

1992 Ram diesel with banks and BD brake Oh how I love my baby. 156,000 and going strong
Old 02-16-2004, 02:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Charles C. Stan
I am going to put a frantz filter on my rig. They offer a adapter block that goes under the full flow filter with a tap to send oil to the by pass filter. It costs 55.00 so I think I will put a T on the oil pressure sender. I would think twice about returning oil to a valve cover as that little puppy can put out a lot of oil and the valve assembly might drown. They recomend returning to the crank case. I don't know where the turbo oil return is but that might be ok if it is headed toward the pan.

1992 Ram diesel with banks and BD brake Oh how I love my baby. 156,000 and going strong
You don't even need to put a T in. On your oil filter housing, you will find on top the turbo feed line and within two inches is a 1/8 npt pipe plug. Remove the pipe plug and use that for the feed for the Franz. There are several places that you can return the oil to the pan. There are two bolts holding a pipe about one inch in diameter that is the oil return for the turbo. You can take it off and weld or braze a fitting on it for the return. There are also three or four plugs in the block that are for different locations for the dipstick. You can remove one and put another dipstick tube about two inches long into it and use it for a drain. The plugs have a top flange on them so that removing one can be accomplished by hitting the flange with a chisel or screwdriver. While my engine was out I tapped one to 1/8 pipe and installed a 2 inch union into it for a drain. Something else that I learned from talking to those who have installed them is to put the orfice at the engine instead of the filter. With it at the engine the oil pressure is always very low in the lines unless the filter is plugged.

I am not real excited in the T deal because that is removing oil pressure from the main line part way through it. Taking it from the filter housing does not disturb the pressure system flow. I was afraid of part of the oil system operating at lower pressure. With it at the filter housing the oil pressure will register accurately at the main oil gallery. Also you should consider two of them in parallel.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:20 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info. After I posted my thoughts I saw the plug next to the turbo oil line that is on top of the full flow filter. My main concern is the return line. Being a old fellow I am not able to do what I used to. So I was looking for something as easy as the input to get at. The valve cover is the easiest but I have concerns about putting to much oil in there. another place I noticed was the oil fill tube. Are others puting the return into the valve cover?
Also Why consider two filters? I know that we have 12 quarts of oil to filter but it seems that just changing the filter more often would suffice. The price of a roll of TP and a quart of oil isn't that much considering the benefit derived. I would prefer buying another unit and puting it on the tranny cooler.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:19 PM

FRANTZ INSTALLED! - Amazing!

Did oil/filter change and installed Frantz. After 400-500 miles oil is still looking like new - I'm impressed. If it stays like this I may become a salesman for them!
Old 02-19-2004, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ouchman keep us posted frequently, I have not spent my money yet and any comments are appreciated. By the weekend I should be financially stable again, hopefully. Put 5000 miles on it in a week and a half.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:15 PM

Ouchman

Were did you put the return line
Old 02-20-2004, 09:24 AM

I used the pressure outlet on top of the oil filter mount and put the return line into the pan as suggested. The oil moves through at a pretty good pace (I tested it). I will post more results in another month or so...