1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Need Getrag Info

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Getrag Info

Hi Everybody,

I need an exploded view of the G360...(before mine explodes)

Also,if someone could copy the Getrag rebuild section from their service manual,I would really appreciate it.

If you need some dough for the time and trouble to do the copying,that would be no problem.

Thanks in advance,
Vinny
Old 02-11-2004, 12:51 AM

I would not waste your time trying to rebuild or fix this tranny in any way. I would recommend you save time, and grief, by just doing an NV4500 conversion. Trust me, you will like it much better in the end.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:53 AM

Vinny,
I have a copy of that manual.
Send your address to

jay.leonard@timken.com

And I'll send a copy

Jay
Old 02-11-2004, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by CB_Parker
I would not waste your time trying to rebuild or fix this tranny in any way. I would recommend you save time, and grief, by just doing an NV4500 conversion. Trust me, you will like it much better in the end.
Go with the NV4500. I had a getrag once and I nothing but worked on that thing. If you do any pulling at all the NV4500 is well worth it.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:43 AM

Hi Guys,

Thanks a whole bunch for the advice.
I appreciate you takin'the time to steer me right...

My truck has been "rode hard and put away wet" most of it's life I think ...and it's pretty rough right now(talk about your understatements!).
I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it,or buy a nicer/cleaner Club Cab truck to BOMB the heck out of.

I'll only be pulling a little weenie trailer(16ft),with little weenie FWD cars on it,so I think the freshened-up Getrag will hold up for a while.

It's really not noisy at this point...it drives just fine...it's just the shifter on the Getrag that is falling out of the gates,jamming the shifter,and sticking it in gear.
If I pull the shifter and pop it out of gear,it's fine as long as I remember to not "slop shift it"...soon as I forget,it falls out of the gates and the shifter gets stuck again(DOH!) .
It's only happened a couple times...and I'm thinkin'it's the shift rails.

I don't want to put the dough into a NV4500 swap yet...that would cost as much as the whole truck! Besides...I really like the idea of a NV5600 instead(wheeeedoggies!).
I mean,what the heck,if I have to do all that work,I might as well do a little more and have one more gear.

Again,thanks for takin'the time...

Vinny
Old 02-12-2004, 12:07 PM

good luck vinny
Old 02-26-2004, 08:26 AM

Hey Guys,

My Getrag doesn't make any noise in gear,and the syncros work just fine...but the shifter is way sloppy in the 5th/reverse gate.
The other shifts are fine,but if you shift into 5th your sure to have the shifter jump out of the gate and stick in limbo. Pull the shifter out,flick it out of gear,put the shifter back in and it's fine(just don't go for 5th!).

Turns out the Getrag repair manual doesn't have any info on the shifter case part of the trans.
Doesn't even have an exploded view of the parts inside of it.
It recomends to just completely replace the whole shifter case with a new one if you have any trouble.

I've been told the shift rails are no longer available new...is that really true? And so far the best price I can find on shift forks are around $50 bucks apiece.
Anybody else know what surprises are in the shifter case?

I can get a reman-ed shifter case for $375 (exchange)plus S/H...does that sound like a rightous deal?
Before I send it off for a reman I'm gonna'take it apart and see if I can figger'what's wrong with it myself...what the heck...it's already broke,how much more can I do to it,ya'know?

I'll let ya'know what I find...

Thanks,
Vinny
Old 02-26-2004, 08:46 AM

Have you asked around to some transmission shops maybe they have some parts laying around or maybe another one from the wrecking yard ? ..... $375.00 sure seems high to me and what if .....
Old 02-26-2004, 03:08 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
Yeah, that seems a little steep, don't it. I would be quite interested to see what you find inside there when you get it apart -- so if you have a digital camera, maybe we can compile an addendum to the manual regarding the shift cover and rails . . .

Good luck,

Alec
Old 02-26-2004, 04:19 PM

Consider it a done deal guys,

Yes,I have a digi-camera,so when I take it off I'll take some pitchure's...

Maybe I should scan the copy of the pitchures and put them up on a web page somewhere.
That way anybody who wants Getrag info can just go there.

My floor pan is all one piece...no removable section. I'm gonna'take the cut-off tool and make me a removable section... then I'll put a lip on the floor so I can put it back in place when I'm done.

I'll post when I get a chance to yank the shift case off next week...

Vinny
Old 04-22-2004, 02:41 PM

Hidley-Ho Diesel-reno's,

I went and bought a re-maned shifter case(top of the G360) for my truck.

Bought it from a truck junk yard who rebuilds tranmissions,transfer cases,and diffs.

Cost me $200.00 bucks outright,so I'll be able to compare this one with the one that's screwin'up in my truck.
I'll take pictures of the new one and the old one side by side to see if there's a visable difference...and then autopsy the old one(BAW,haw,haw).

If anybody's interested,the name of the place is Geiger Truck Parts Inc.They're on the net at...

http://www.geigertruck.com/index.htm

They're located in Watseka,IL and they rebuild Getrags,NV 4500 and 5600's,and just about everything else. You can find'em on the Hollander Exchange too.

Vinny
Old 04-25-2004, 12:50 AM

Hey hey,

Changed the shifter case today...

Wasn't much to see in the way of photo taking...I'll take a photo or two of the old case when I take it apart.

The new case fixed all but the crunch when shifting quickly into 3rd gear. It caused the whole shift pattern to get tighter and more precise...instead of the slop-city way it was.

A quick inspection showed the pin for the 5th/reverse fork was/is either broken off,or pushed halfway out. This allowed the shift fork to move around and caused my reverse and 5th gear problems.

I'll take a picture of it and post it...now HOW do I do that?

Vinny
Old 04-25-2004, 07:47 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Go to the "member photos" section of the site, then click on "upload photos" and do what the computer tells you to. Not hard at all. To make them appear in a thread, just put the photo URL in between image brackets like so: {img}photo URL here{/img} except use the [] brackets instead of the {} brackets.