1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Nasty grinding noise in all shifter positions

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 12:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Nasty grinding noise in all shifter positions

I pushed my luck too far today and the ol' '92 came home tonight on the back of a Cat powered Ford.

The Getrag has been growling at me for some time now and the last time that I towed (mid-June) it growled enough that I knew I needed to do something soon but, I procrastinated and put a few hundred miles on it making local trips. Today is started making noise in all forward gears except 4th. I was about an hour and a half from home so I left it in 4th and slowed down to 55-60mph. Got to within an hour of home and had to stop at a stop sign. Pulled out in 1st and couldn't shift into any gear. After about 30 seconds, I could shift into gear but all I get is grinding when I let out the clutch in any gear as well as in neutral. I also now have a massive oil leak at the front of the transmission.

Called AAA and 2 hrs and 45 minutes later , a Ford rollback (600 series or so) pulled up. It definitely knew that the ol' '92 was back there 'cause it kept kicking down a gear anytime that we hit a small hill and top speed was around 45 on the 2-lane road home, 55 downhill on the 4 lane.

After the tranny went south, the motor started taking several extra revolutions to start like it was running out of fuel. Don't know how a tranny problem relates to a fuel problem but it looks like I need to spend some quality time with my Cummins.

Based on some of the other posts, I guess it must be Getrag rebuild season.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Since it started out with no noise in 4th, I suspect the countershaft bearings let go...there is very little load on the countershaft in direct (4th). In any event, sounds like the damage has spread and the 'ol rag needs a good going through Not sure on the starting problem...sounds like a separate issue.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is your lucky day, upgrade to the NV4500 i thought i had seen where people had done that and they amount they said it cost is less than some have paid to have thier getrag rebuilt. of corse if you can build it yourself it the seem the more cost effective route.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:25 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have any problems finding parts. let me know, I just went through this and have a list of suppliers.....
Sorry to hear about it!
Old 08-25-2006, 10:27 AM

I guess the next question to be considered is what kind of clutch to put in since I'll already have things torn apart. This truck isn't for racing or pulling, just lots of highway cruising and trailer towing (mostly single-car-hauler and hopefully a 35' TT eventually). Horsepower will gradually rise but I don't ever expect to see the far side of 300 with this rig. Probably just some 190s, pump adjustments and turbo upgrades.

Anyone want to share their favorite clutches?
Old 08-25-2006, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
If you have any problems finding parts. let me know, I just went through this and have a list of suppliers.....
Sorry to hear about it!
Thanks Chrisreyn. As soon as it's out and apart and I know what the damages are, I'll start collecting parts. Fortunately, I don't have to rush this so it'll be a few weeks start-to-finish.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 12valve@heart
Anyone want to share their favorite clutches?
I went with stock with the same setup as you want. I got it from southbend best price I found, it is also what peter recomended.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:34 AM

Stock 1st gen clutches will hold a fair amount more power than a 2nd gen clutch, and for your driving habits, a stock replacement sounds like just the ticket
Old 10-02-2006, 02:16 AM

Well, after 5 weeks of being way too busy and I finally got my original (not the one that just let go but the one that was making noise two years ago) getrag pulled apart. This one had just started making serious noise when I pulled it. It turns out that the primary damage was the rear counter shaft bearing. It was totally toast but there was some damage to other bearings and to 5th gear. It looks like new bearings, seals, and 5th gear and this one will be ready to swap back in.

So has anyone tried the rebuild kits off of e-bay? Just looking for the best value.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MakeTrack=true
Old 10-02-2006, 06:04 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I order my seal/bearing kit off Ebay( transparts warehosue) and had god results with it. It DOES NOT include the caged needle bearings, which can be next to impossible to find, but are realy important to replace if they have any sharp edges on tehm at all( check the inside of the bearing as well)...If I remember correctly the kit wasnt real expensive...
Old 10-02-2006, 07:04 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Mine was built with Ebay parts. Different vendor, though.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:19 PM

Spare tranny is finally almost all apart. Still haven't pulled the current tranny out of the truck but going for tranny parts tomorrow. Did any of you that rebuilt your own (other than Chris) replace the needle bearings and snap rings? They don't appear to be included in the kits on ebay based on the pictures? The needle bearings look like they could be reused but I'd sure like new snap rings.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:25 PM

I re-used both the snap rings and the torringtons. Any decent parts house should have someone at the counter that knows how to use a caliper and thusly should be able to get the proper snap rings. As for finding the torrington bearings...ya got me. Maybe quad 4x4 or standard transmission?
Old 07-18-2007, 12:15 PM

It's ALIVE!!!!!

Update - 10+ months after is got towed home, I finally got the rebuilt transmission put in this last Saturday. Last night was the first trip to town and today is a 200+ mile run to Oklahoma City and back to break it all in. In addition to rebuilding the transmission myself, I installed a new rear main seal, new MU0090 Ralley clutch, and new battery. After not having cranked for 10 months, it fired off on the first crank and, after stumbling for 15-30 seconds, ran like a top. Tonight it'll get a fresh fuel filter and oil change. I filled the tranny with 5 qts of Castrol Syntec 5W50 full synthetic plus 5 oz of Power-Up additive. Tomorrow night, I hope to hook to the 35' travel trailer and head for upstate New York. If that doesn't break it, is sure ought to break it in.

After I get back, I'll start tearing apart the tranny that was making the nasty grinding noises but I can already see that the front countershaft bearing broke and punched out the front seal so I expect to see major carnage.

Keeping my fingers crossed,
Old 07-18-2007, 03:08 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Glad to hear you got it going again, Jay.

Quick Reply: Nasty grinding noise in all shifter positions