1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Mysterious No-start Situation

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 10:28 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by jimlj
I had the same problem with my '89. It turned out to be a bad lift pump. It would always start when warm, but when cold it would act like there was no fuel.

Bad as in ZERO fuel-pressure, or bad as in having positive fuel-pressure, but bleeding off ??

Thanks.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe its a sticky fuel shutdown solenoid? I have a starter in a car that whenever its below 10 deg or so, the first time you try to start it in the morning the starter won't fully engage. When its warmed up or warmer air temp out it never does it, I figure the plunger's a little sticky. Maybe when you give it the shot of ether and it fires off of that, its enough rattle to unstick the solenoid? I would think if it fires right away and runs smooth after the ether it wouldn't be air in the lines, I figure it would chug at least a little if there was. If you're seeing arcing on those power wires, it very well could be a loose connection at the solenoid also, although you'd think they would shake loose while running. Either way, not a bad idea to fix those terminations so they don't arc. Let us know what you find, good luck.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:33 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you hotwire the shutoff solanoid you will have to kill the engine manualy every time
Old 02-16-2008, 08:07 AM

mine does the same except it wont start w\o either all the time dont know what to tell you cuz i aint fixed mine yet but have spent about 300 bucks so far . good luck dave
Old 02-16-2008, 10:07 AM

Maybe a dumb question, but what about an intermittent problem with the heating grid? Not heating enough to fire the fuel in low temps even when the engine is warm.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:35 PM

Don't know if this helps, but when I had that problem, it was fuel gelling. cracking the injectors after warming up a bit fixed it. I was using b-50, though. It started fine plugged in (that morning), but after cooling down for a couple hours, it wouldn't start. Even after warming up, it wouldn't start till injectors were cracked.
Mike
Old 02-16-2008, 01:53 PM

Whenever mine acted like this, hot or cold, I found it to be a poor connection. Eventually I just replaced the end, brushed the terminal with a wire brush until it shone and smeared the whole works with dielectric grease. No problem since. Now I believe there is some basic difference between the way pre and post 1991.5 pumps are wired. Somebody on the forum should know.

Mine has never acted up since (touch wood).
Old 02-16-2008, 02:07 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Some of the things I have done to date = replaced both wire-ends with RING-terminals, cleaning and protecting all connections; replaced the entire length of wire that connects to the shut-down solenoid with a new 12AWG wire; installed a post-filter pressure-gauge showing 4-PSI with a brand-new filter; I doubt the possibility of gelling as it ALWAYS gets a little more than the recommended dosage of white-bottle Power-Service, none of the other four Cummins trucks sitting beside it are gelling on the same fuel/mix; probably somethings I have forgotten that I also did.

Just yesterday, I replaced the fuel-heater gasket with a fresh one.

It hasn't been cold enough since to tell if that has helped.

Funny thing is that the heater-seal on my personal truck has been freely pouring fuel down the sides of the filter for weeks and it has never hesitated to start; I have since fixed that leak.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:55 PM

i would just give up and sell the whole shooting match for lets say ?????? just kidding. reading this post will help me when i get stranded. sure gives you places to look and gets me familiar with them.