1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

My truck lost power.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
My truck lost power.

Ok people,
I need some educated guesses about what is going on,

Yesterday I started my truck and it just didn't feel right, like it doesn't have all of its usual power, (engine sounds flat) then I look in the mirror and see that cannot see anyone behind me anymore, me truck is blowing black smoke like a freight train, and it felt like the engine wanted to stall.

So after I finished what I started out to do I came home, first thing I did was to check the air cleaner to see if it was restricted, it was not.

Rev the engine in neutral and it will blow out a cloud and then just a light haze somewhat, but do it in gear and the neighborhood disappears in a black cloud.

So today I went and replaced a set of stock Bosch injectors to rule them out since they are about 300,000 miles overdue,

I have not had to chance to start it yet, ill do that later today to see if it has helped but I am thinking either I broke something inside my VE or possibly my 6 month old torque converted is trashed and loading my engine till it chokes, going to check the simple things first.

My transmission guy is not going to want to see me if it is, If my VE broke, I can repair it.

Craziest thing is I have not gone probably more than 100 mile trips, no towing and nothing over 80-MPH.

Need to get back on the road A.S.A.P.

So what are your thoughts.

Jim
Old 10-04-2013, 07:27 AM

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
You need more air.

Try the injectors. I'm not much help.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check the fuel filter? Not much help here either.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Jim, would be willing to bet no issues with the TC, Injectors possible, Yours isn't intercooled, is it? Anyway, I would take the intake tube off just to run it to be sure something didn't get in there and plug it. Past that , I say something in the VE dumped.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:52 AM

Received 454 Likes on 344 Posts
Fuel pin stuck?
Oil from the turbo bearings?
Fuel shutoff solenoid not opening all the way?
KSB malfunction?
Old 10-04-2013, 09:59 AM

Received 454 Likes on 344 Posts
Just a wild thought, take a look at your grid heaters. I have heard of one falling apart and restricting the intake.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:17 PM

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
My guess is you have a intake air restriction or exhaust restriction
Old 10-04-2013, 12:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Black smoke is usually result of over fueling, so I'd say not enough air getting in, or something wrong with the pump causing it to overfuel?
Old 10-04-2013, 03:19 PM

Yup, sounds like over fueling or boost leaking. Could be a problem on the exhaust side too causing boost problems.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:37 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Check the turbo end play and check to see if it's leaking in to the exhaust or intake.

The fuel pin could be stuck down in its bore as well. The pin gets galled and then sticks.

Could be a bad injector or one sticking open or something too

Sent from my Galaxy SIII via tapatalk 2
Old 10-04-2013, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Sort of an update.

So here is an update,
First thanks to everyone for the ideas, most of them I had already covered,
The last time I lost power I found I had somehow sucked up someone’s gym towel off the street through my cold air scoop below the truck and it got wrapped completely around my air filter like you would a baby, choked it off real good, that is what I was hoping for this time.

Anyhow.
I went out today and started the truck after I replaced the injectors last night, it only had to crank it 2 times about 10 seconds each till it fired, it rattled and shook for about a minuet and then smoothened out, I let it warm up a bit then I dropped it into gear, idle dropped to about 500 and it got real quiet, tapped the throttle and it started with the smoke again.

I took it out for a test drive, first thing I noticed was that when I put it into reverse although it dropped my idle, it tried to backup like it was in a hi-Range not low and slow.

When I went to Drive, same thing, if feels like I am starting out in D (3rd), the RPM’s dropped it shudders and then smokes like crazy, if I start out in (L-1) easy in the throttle as soon as I get about 3-5 PSI boost the smoke goes away but I have to select the gears manually no L-1, L-2, D also after I am moving, when I come in for a stop, the transmission does not disengage (no fluid coupling) and it feels like driving a manual transmission and forgetting to put it the clutch, it won’t stall but it really loads up the engine.

Now I definitely think my converter is trashed and possibly the transmission or at least the valve body, I just do not understand why, it is only about 6 months old, no towing, not much over 100-mile trips and never saw the fluid temps much over 200*.

I got it to the transmission shop but the owner would not be back till Monday A.M. they checked the ATF and after burning his hand on the turbo and 4” down pipe the fluid is brown and does not smell like it should anymore.
I am going to drop it off on Sunday night so they can get to it on Monday.

Last time I was there when it was overheating he was trying to blame it onto everything I had done to the truck, claimed it was because of that big cooler I put under the bed was causing too much restriction with too much hose, didn’t want to believe me when I told him it was a dealer installed option, so it should be interesting on Monday.

After the truck was moving and up to speed, the new injectors make the trucks throttle response feel crisp.

More to come

Jim
Old 10-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck
You need more air.

Try the injectors. I'm not much help.
Bingo..
Too much load on the engine before the turbo could light.
A 9cm housing and I probably would have blown something
with a bang.

Jim
Old 10-05-2013, 03:57 AM

I think a 47rh should be in the works.......
Old 10-05-2013, 09:25 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
I don't know how a torque converter could fail like that and not totally chit the bit. I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Built up with a few decent parts, the 518 is a pretty tough transmission. I just got back from a 3000 mile trip pulling a double, some of it in mountains with 2 valve body screws laying in the pan. Noticed a slight flare in shifting and a slight vibration. (cavitation in the front pump) Put it in the shop. They bolted the valve body back in, put in a fresh filter and pan gasket, put the perfectly good salvaged AmZoil fluid back in and put it back in service.

Mine has high-perf clutches, Transgo shift kit, a few hard parts that are weak in the stock tranny, and a Goerend converter. Shifts soft as a baby's behind when I'm behaving, and a neck snapper if I'm on it making smoke. It's better than a stick.

I'm betting you have something stuck in the IP.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:40 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
If the overrunning(sprag) clutch in the converter fails then the stator cannot multiply torque as it just freewheels, could be the problem but I`ve never seen it happen myself....will be watching with interest.

Quick Reply: My truck lost power.