1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

My fuel pump is gouging the Denny T fuel pin

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dang, what have I done?
Old 02-18-2009, 07:37 PM

I haven't seen a good clear pic of Denny T fuel pin to tell if it's a mark or a defined gouge. I have about 3000 miles on my D T pin with very little marking on it, it has a line but no gouge. The pin above is a good clear pic of some kinda pin and you can clearly see gouging. If you run your fingernail across mine you can't feel anything.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ace
No, all the DennyT cheerleaders that were saying it's the best thing since sliced bread have suddenly disappeared.
I haven't seen a pic of the DennyT with the gouge, and am 100% satisfied with mine. Not a cheerleader, but I know a good product, and Dennis definitely has one.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ace
No, all the DennyT cheerleaders that were saying it's the best thing since sliced bread have suddenly disappeared.
first off just so that everyone knows the good pic is not a DennyT pin. Also his pins are made of just about the hardest SS that you can machine. He goes threw tooling pretty fast. It has to be cut slow (relatively compared to mild steel) to keep chatter down. The factory pins are most likely case hardened after they are cut. The processes used to make the factory ones are cost effective if you are making 100,000 of them and its a small part of a $1300 pump, but when you are only making 20-40 at a time and sell them for $120 its not feasible.

Also there is a big diff in a slite polished mark and a very slight and smooth "grove" and the rough and deep gouge in the good pic. DennyT is a stand up guy and will take care of any one that has a prob if you will just contact him. But its nice to see how quick some are to jump on the band wagon at the first sight of the slightest mark. I had a Bully Dog pin that looked just like the one in the good pic in less than 500 miles and would stick and that's when I went to DennyT to have him make me one out of some harder stock and make a totally diff profile not just a copy like some people do and get a little more fuel. He made a few diff profiles that we tried and then went to what is now the Stage II so that it would be all his own idea and nothing like what any one else was, doing not even close. He took the idea and ran with it and now makes lots of them for people and dose it for HALF the money most of us have told him he should get. He has been successful enough to even have his pin almost exactly duplicated and sold by others so I would say he is doing something right.

Also keep in mind that the face of the pin is at twice the angle as the factory cone which increase the force put on it to push the small pin back in.

So to any one that has a prob with a DennyT pin please PM or E-mail him don't just gripe about it to every one else. I would be willing to bet that 99% of the probs are cosmetic and not really a prob.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:16 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So then I guess there's no question Denny's pins are "hard." The question is are they "as hard" or "harder" than the other fuel pin riding on them, making the marks or whatever it is?
Old 02-19-2009, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by 1stGen545
first off just so that everyone knows the good pic is not a DennyT pin. Also his pins are made of just about the hardest SS that you can machine. He goes threw tooling pretty fast. It has to be cut slow (relatively compared to mild steel) to keep chatter down. The factory pins are most likely case hardened after they are cut. The processes used to make the factory ones are cost effective if you are making 100,000 of them and its a small part of a $1300 pump, but when you are only making 20-40 at a time and sell them for $120 its not feasible.

Also there is a big diff in a slite polished mark and a very slight and smooth "grove" and the rough and deep gouge in the good pic. DennyT is a stand up guy and will take care of any one that has a prob if you will just contact him. But its nice to see how quick some are to jump on the band wagon at the first sight of the slightest mark. I had a Bully Dog pin that looked just like the one in the good pic in less than 500 miles and would stick and that's when I went to DennyT to have him make me one out of some harder stock and make a totally diff profile not just a copy like some people do and get a little more fuel. He made a few diff profiles that we tried and then went to what is now the Stage II so that it would be all his own idea and nothing like what any one else was, doing not even close. He took the idea and ran with it and now makes lots of them for people and dose it for HALF the money most of us have told him he should get. He has been successful enough to even have his pin almost exactly duplicated and sold by others so I would say he is doing something right.

Also keep in mind that the face of the pin is at twice the angle as the factory cone which increase the force put on it to push the small pin back in.

So to any one that has a prob with a DennyT pin please PM or E-mail him don't just gripe about it to every one else. I would be willing to bet that 99% of the probs are cosmetic and not really a prob.
Well said.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by The_Head
was just wondering if this was normal... While bumping the timing up today, I also checked the fuel pin. It has about 2,000 miles on it so far.

here's a crap cell phone picture

check original post. I wasn't griping one bit. Was just asking if it was normal.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:08 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only problem I have with it is the pic is not focused on the problem area. But judging by the title of your post, I would say it's definitely not normal.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:31 AM

Well said 1stGen545. I'm having no problem with my pin either. I liked my 1st DennyT stg2 pin so well that I ordered another one yesterday for one of my other trucks. As soon as I start working on my 3rd 1st gen maybe in a month i'll buy a 3rd pin from him. Dennis keep up the good work.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:23 PM

my last post was not directed at any ONE person so I hope that's not how it came across. I just used this thread to answer a lot of the ????? that I see hear and other places and some of the nitpicking. If you have a real prob please contact DennyT and he would be glad to make it right. Sorry about the rant.