1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

My first trip w/ the "improved" 92 Pt.1

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first trip w/ the "improved" 92 Pt.1

I took my 92 for a 350 miles round trip Fri. to deliver a truck I sold on Ebay. Here are a couple of my thoughts...
First and formost I love the fuel screw, and 16cm housing! I added 2 more turns on the screw and the houding last week friday and hadn't pulled with it yet, It is freakin' awsome. Before that I could get about 20lbs of boost with the pin turned, fuel and smoke screws adjusted a turn each. The housing alone gained 3lbs of boost and a lot better response. After the I turned the screw I instantly gained 8lbs of boost and lots of smoke. This truck will break the tires loose in third if I really try and will get up and scoot!

Second thing about it is it now gets pretty toasty very fast! I was watching the pyro real close when I was pulling the hills around here and I could hit 1300* real easy if I wanted to. I was even dropping into 4th and running about 52-54mph up a 7% grade, about a mile long and if I tried to get more then that it would hit 1200+. Once I let a little pressure off the pedal it would come down but I really had to drive it with one eye on the pyro. But all in all this thing pulled my tuck with ease! I would guess I was in the 15K range.

Last thing about the trip, this truck is not the most comfortable to drive. It needs some different seats and I think an air ride setup would be a nice upgrade. I am still working on how I am going to do that but I want to do air ride up front as well as in the rear. I am still in the research stage on that though.
Sorry for the long post,
DS79
Old 11-16-2008, 01:54 AM

My trip with the "improved" 92 pt.2

If you read pt.1 you know what I was up to this weekend and for the most part it was good. Except My steering came apart in IL!!! I replaced the drag link and the steering shaft (Borgeson) on my truck since the old ones were shot. I made it all the way to where I was going with the truck never giving me any grief. I was within 2 miles of my destination when the steering wheel started lockin up! I almost side swiped a car and had to force the truck over to the shoulder. I jumped out to look things over and found the "rag joint" was catching the inner fender causing it to lock up. I noticed the alum. bushing that holds the upper part of the shaft into the column had fallen out. I out it back in it still didn't seem right, I noticed then the spring that sits on that part of the shaft wasn't doing anything, so I grabbed ahold of the Borgeson and started to push it back into the column. I got it to bottom out and keep pressure on the bushing but by the time I got to where I was going the thing had fallen out again. I ended up havig to drill a hole in my new Borgeson and put a screw there to get it t hold together until I could get to Wal-Mart and buy some hose clamps to put on the shaft to keep it all in the correct spot.

Now have any of you guys seen this or had to deal with this? I hate the idea of having to put a bolt through the shaft to keep it from coming apart but I don't know what came apart in the column and allowed it to come apart like that!
Thanks in advance,
DS79
Old 11-16-2008, 02:06 AM

I have heard of the shafts coming apart, don't know anyone personally, but have read about that on here and other sites before. Scary never the less, glad you and noone else got hurt.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:53 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I'll second your vote on the 16cm housing. I just put mine on last week and it definitely wakes up the turbo. That in conjunction with the 4" 2nd gen DP and cast elbow I put on has brought my max boost from 25 to about 28 - 29. That's with no load in the bed, full power accelerating onto the freeway. It also cleaned up the big cloud of smoke I was getting after shifting into 3rd off a stop sign or stop light. Now I just get a little puff of black before the boost kicks in and cleans it up.

I also agree on the ride quality. I've just finished a complete rebuild of the suspension front and rear. I followed the guide in the sticky to rebuild the leaf springs with liners. I used the top leaf that was on the truck on all 4 corners, but built a new pack under it with various spring packs that I had laying around from other trucks. In the front, I used leaves 2 - 6 from a set of 1/2 - 3/4 ton 4" lift springs. It raised the front about 1 1/2" - 2". In the rear, I used leaves both from a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton that I had, mixing and matching to get the height I wanted. All of my original springs had lost a lot of arch. Now I'm back to sitting with the proper stance.

I was experiencing a very bouncy ride, but I had put 2 spring clamps on each front spring and they were too tight and causing the springs to bind. I removed the rear clamp on both and put them on the front of the rear springs. When I did that, I put them on looser, and double nutted them to keep them from falling off. That and new Monroe Gas Magnum shocks and the ride is very nice. I also don't have the stock seats, which helps.

On top of that, I put new tie rods ends, drag link and borgeson double u-joint shaft in, so the steering is nice and tight. I might add a stabilizer, too. Tires are Dunlop Radial Rover RVXT 255/85R16, which give a nice soft ride at 55PSI. I feel the road, but there's no bone jarring suspension response.

I also put on the "Cummins Turbo Diesel" windshield graphic from Geno's Garage and I think I picked up a couple more PSI of boost, or maybe that's just my imagination.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:56 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
When I put my Borgeson shaft on, I kept it on the long side for just that reason. I think it can only collapse about 1/2", which should be plenty to handle any frame flex.