1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

My first CTD, but its an oddball

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 11:03 PM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
The best way to find out what you have is snap a pic and post it up, someone will know what it is, people like Mark N. that has his hands on these old trucks every day can usually tell what you have just be looking.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 91Hoopty
A part from all the little whips yall've pointed out, Im plannin on free pump mods, MAYBE fuel plate, 2nd gen seats, big-ol front bumper, build that air cleaner a proper box, leaf-shackle flip if i feel froggy enough, etc.
If you are into the free pump mods, hand grind the fuel plate. There is cheap power to be had there.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:54 PM

Received 451 Likes on 343 Posts
Hey Mark, look closer. That's turbo has a waste gate. HX35 probably. Is that water injection, or just were they tapped the boost gauge?
Old 07-17-2012, 07:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PapeCAT
On the rear suspension not only does it have an extra rear block stacked in but 3 leafs as well. The original config is ends at the fat overload leaf. The ones below that may or may not be bolted to the rest of the (bastard)pack.

If you take them out and put it back to stock like you should if this is going to be anything other than a play truck that doesn't haul/tow then it will be way high in the front. Curious what front leaf setup is in there. Hopefully no blocks up front.?! The front already looks VERY lifted. I'm not sure the stock driveshaft would work, I see that you have a separate d shaft to bolt in. Be careful and flex it out and make sure the CV will bend that much at full droop...
Blocks on the front axle I believe may actually be illegal in some states. But they aren't good for handling, legal or not. I thought of that once I saw the post about the extra blocks in back, looks like it might have springs in front, but a good thing to check.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:35 PM

Posts sorta old by now, but thought id give a lil update to those interested and maybe get some more answers.

-The front is all spring lift with those wedges in it to help out with the d-shaft angle. Every thing seems to be skyjacker.

-The front d-shaft that came with the truck wasn't exactly right, had to have it cut down (whole new pipe welded to it actually since I left it in the bed on the way to the driveshaft place)and find the right u-joint and she bolted right up

-The rear does has a massive block on what I assume is the stock lift block. Ill fix it proper one day.

-The more I look into it I believe this is just a P-Pump swap. The lift pump is bolted to the motor still and a piston pump is installed in its place, looks newer than everything as well. And I'm %99.99 the switch on my dash opens/closes the fuel shutoff solenoid (truck will run with the key out of ignition, switch shuts motor down)

-Electrical gremlins breed in this rig. My brother-in-law and I took out at least 40-50ft of useless/unhooked wiring. The switch that lights up the additional gauges (boost and EGT post turbo) is the SOLE means of me turning on my rear parking lamps(blinkers/brake/reverse lights work fine).

-Speed-o-meter wont work. Put in a new speed sensor, still nothing. Me thinks its is the PCM somehow, unplugged it and started her up, idled fine, couldnt find power at the connector either. but the truck charges fine, lack of AC compressor doesn't help.Speed sensor is a 2 wire and the Neutral safety is 3 wire if that means anything to someone.

-Unhooked the stock mirrors and bolted on some junkyard find Mack mirrors.

-Found a Rad shroud out of a junk 93, gotta massage it a lil bit to clear the fan but it fits the Rad fine

All in all thought Im pleased as a peach with it. Definetly gives me something to do from day to day. Ordered some new wheels and tires, even put a proper BHAF setup on it.Been driving it everyday, runs without a hitch. I was really surprised this thing will bury the boost gauge if I want it to.

Only question I have now is cruising down the highway at ~65, I run about 4-5 psi boost and my EGT read ~550 steady, hottest its ever been was ~650 beating on it. This seem normal? Above/below what it should be?
Old 08-27-2012, 11:31 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
stripped speedo drive is the likely cause of your speedo trouble, but make sure the VSS has ground before you dig in further.

Sent from my HD2 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Banned

hottest its ever been was ~650 beating on it. This seem normal?
Is the probe after the turbo or before? That seems pretty low. When you get on it good, you should see at least 1100° - 1300°+ if you stay in it.

--Eric