1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

My first CTD, but its an oddball

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first CTD, but its an oddball

Howdy yall!
I recently purchased a '91 W250 that is said to have 95 12-V in it. Ive been around gear heads all my life, but the Cummins and (relatively) old truck are a new thing for me. I was hoping, with the pictures supplied, a few of yall could take a look and tell me what i have for sure.

AND, according to my brother in law, this toggle turns on the fuel pump...? Im lead to believe there is no electric fuel pump used by the 12-V

I haven't even seen the truck yet as I bought it while I was deployed, I just hope someone could shed some light on what the previous owners did to my rig. Also any suggestions will not be taken lightly
Old 07-16-2012, 09:47 AM
Banned

I just hope someone could shed some light on what the previous owners did to my rig. Also any suggestions will not be taken lightly
Hmmm...it looks like previous owner put in a p-pump engine that came out of a high schooler's lime green truck , could be a '95, and they put a BHAF air filter on it. It also appears that their voltage regulator went out, fried the battery, and they rigged up a hoky battery cable connection and through the battery mount away in the process of diagnosing it before they bought a chinese regulator to install. Hmmm...sheesh, looks like they had an argument with the fuel pedal, got mad, and tossed it out the window. The must've swerved inadvertently and hit a tree when they did that, because they broke the factory grill and ordered an aftermarket replacement, bent the front bumper, and knocked the mirror glass out of the passenger side mirror. However, they did stop and pick up the glass and tape it back in. They also may have removed the front driveshaft for you and forgot to put it back in? They did install a boost gauge and EGT gauge though it looks like.

Finally, they put a Lund moonvisor on it that looks awful. You need to remove it immediately and send it to me.

--Eric
Old 07-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The truck is a '91.5, the firewall mounted regulator is original. I see no reason to doubt that the engine is out of a '95. Looks like a fun truck with lots of potential.

Sent from my Paranoid Android HD2 using Tapatalk 2.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:49 PM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by wannadiesel
The truck is a '91.5, the firewall mounted regulator is original. I see no reason to doubt that the engine is out of a '95. Looks like a fun truck with lots of potential.

Sent from my Paranoid Android HD2 using Tapatalk 2.
Agreed!!
Old 07-16-2012, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could use a fan shroud if you're going to tow or work it hard.

Nice truck though, the P-pump has lot's of potential.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:04 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Even has a 2nd gen intake tube, looks neat. Wonder if it has a 47rh? Nice score.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:08 PM

Just looked again, it seems to have stacked lift blocks under the rear springs, not ideal IMHO. One large block is better, but lift springs and no block is best.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:45 PM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
It has 1st gen intercooler tubes and boots, so it could be a p-7100 conversion on the original engine, i can't tell if the engine is 1st gen or 2nd by looking at the pics, but i will beet Faith can.

if your going to do some performance mods i would move the EGT probe to the manifold instead of the down pipe.

it looks like a pretty good ol-truck though

Dar
Old 07-16-2012, 04:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What I see:
2nd gen engine with 1st gen intercooler conversion, along with the stock H1C 1st gen 'charger.
I suspect it is 100% 2nd gen, BESIDES the intercooler pieces and turbo, because it also has the wrong fan support assembly and the thermostat housing I also recognize as 2nd gen.

You'll need to get the correct fan support before you can run the OEM shroud on there, BTW.

It also looks to me like they put the grid heater on backwards, then lengthened up the wires, instead of fixing it right.

Mark.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:07 PM

Location: A 5th dimension, beyond that which is known to man.
You probably should move the probe for the pyrometer into the manifold. That will tell you more about whats going on than the downpipe.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There doesn't appear to be anything holding the battery. Someone may have installed an electric fuel pump to keep up with the p-pump.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:01 PM

Wowsers, thanks for throwin all the info at me guys! I wont be home for 2 more weeks but ill have a whole month of nothin to do but work on her, all this helps more than yall know! It did come with the front driveshaft but i hadta hunt down one of those conversion u-joints so my uncle could put it in (diff end was 2 diff size caps ends i guess) A part from all the little whips yall've pointed out, Im plannin on free pump mods, MAYBE fuel plate, 2nd gen seats, big-ol front bumper, build that air cleaner a proper box, leaf-shackle flip if i feel froggy enough, etc.

Now, 2 questions:
-Are the fan shroud/support bracket year/motor/truck specific or any 1st gen diesel hardware should work?
-Whats the easiest way to see what tranny is hooked up in their? Id have to ask my sister to look for me SO itd have to be a simple means
Old 07-16-2012, 07:26 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Look at the connector plug on the drivers side towards the rear of the unit, 2 wire=non lockup, 3 wire-lockup.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:40 PM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
On the rear suspension not only does it have an extra rear block stacked in but 3 leafs as well. The original config is ends at the fat overload leaf. The ones below that may or may not be bolted to the rest of the (bastard)pack.

If you take them out and put it back to stock like you should if this is going to be anything other than a play truck that doesn't haul/tow then it will be way high in the front. Curious what front leaf setup is in there. Hopefully no blocks up front.?! The front already looks VERY lifted. I'm not sure the stock driveshaft would work, I see that you have a separate d shaft to bolt in. Be careful and flex it out and make sure the CV will bend that much at full droop...
Old 07-16-2012, 08:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
looks like it started life as a non intercooled! someone installed a intercooled radiator and used a bunch of flat washers to hold it to the non intercooled core support ,

Your truck brings to mind the Jonny cash song ONE PIECE AT A TIME! you need a skinny pedal too

Quick Reply: My first CTD, but its an oddball