1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

My Bedliner Choice (With Pix)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 07:35 PM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
My Bedliner Choice (With Pix)

After posting a thread a few weeks back about "which bed liner would you use? ", I decided to sum up my research by choosing the guy who I though portrayed the most experienced, and dedicated to "quality" vs going with the lowest price, as some had suggested.

The problem with taking the lowest bidder, at least here, was the the product wasn't exactly what I wanted. Rhino Liner looked pretty, but after seeing two trucks that just had them sprayed, and another who had it sprayed some 7 years earlier, I wasn't convinced that it was the better product.... even though it was about $50-$75 cheaper. IMO, I wanted the guy who was going to do the best "prep work" on the truck, and this guy sold me on it, that he would.

I looked @ other liners but non of them looked right either. Extreme was too thin, and the "DIY" ones just didn't appeal to me.... So I picked Linex. I chose over the rail which brought the price up to $585, but to me, the few extra bucks were worth it. The product is much more "dense" than Rhino, and much more difficult to scar, scrape or gouge. More importantly, than anything else that I looked at was the guy who was doing the job. Although I hadn't had him do any other truck for me, and this was my first dealings with him, I felt he was, by far, the best man for the job. I believe I made the right choice, as I couldn't believe what a fantastic job he did, and his attention to detail was far beyond what I ever expected.

In the first photo you will find the truck before it went. I scrapped the cap that was on the truck and used a common degreaser to remove any goo in the bed. This truck had a camper in it at one time, and the bed had some latex paint or something spilled in it, so I cleaned it the best I could. The bed is wet, so that's why it's so shiny.

Name:  DSC00969.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  182.4 KB
Name:  DSC00968.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  115.8 KB

This guy was really **** about not getting any overspray on the truck. He had a great system with reference to separating the cab / box and he even taped / papered the inside of the box, between the cab and the box, so that no overspray would land on the inside of the box behind the cab.... where NO ONE will ever see anyway.... That's detail.....

He spent almost 4 hours masking, sanding, cleaning, sanding and cleaning again, to make sure the surface was primo for application of the liner. He was meticulous on the "temperature of the room / sprayer / mixer and containers" to the point where I just was speechless. This guy truly cares about the product he produces, and it shows in his work. He went way crazy making sure everything was perfect..... and I didn't even ask him to.

Name:  DSC00980.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  100.1 KB

Here it is... just before spraying..

Name:  DSC00983.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  80.2 KB

The spraying time took about 20 minutes. I swear it took longer to remove all of the masking than it did to spray the truck. Total time, start to finish was around 5 hours. As far as I'm concerned, I didn't pay enough for the value of the job he provided. The time he spent was worth way more than what I paid.

Name:  DSC00991.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  199.1 KB

Name:  DSC00993.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  243.1 KB

I give him a 5 star rating for the work on the truck. I'll be recommending him to anyone and everyone I know to get their trucks done there, and forget about anybody else......

If anyone is interested.

He's the Linex dealer in South Amboy NJ, and his name is Ron. This guy is truly a professional, and it shows in his work. Fantastic job.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is what spoke to me. Not just you saying, and proving with the pics but little attention to details where you did NOT say anything about. Something that bugged me about the DIY and even professionals "missed" on.

The tailgate latch bolts.

'Nuff said.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks great! im definitely getting mine line-x'd whenever i get the truck all back together haha
Old 11-01-2011, 11:21 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Wow what an amazing job!! And thank you for posting up your story. I need a new box for my crew...the old one is rust free, but beat to heck on the inside, and a bit on the pass. side. Once I have a "nice" box I will be wanting to get a spray in liner too. I will definetly look into my local LineX company.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:59 AM

Yeah, he did a great job..... Thanks.

Just for the record.

Beyond..... looks, which I think it came out great...

This is a work truck, and being so, I wasn't looking for a "perfect" surface finish, but a durable, reliable, and trouble free product. I'll be updating this thread from time to time to follow up on how it lasts, and other respects to durability, and or finsh

Line-x was the choice for me because I wanted superior durability. I can't stress enough that the application of ANY liner, whether it's sprayed, rolled or dropped in, comes down to details and prep work. Those surfaces have to be scuffed and super cleaned before application. I watched this guy scuff everything that was being sprayed to the point that I thought he was spending too much time. With his explanations, along the way, educating me on the processes, the spraying process requires any surface it touches to be dull and ready to take on the product..... otherwise.... IT WILL FAIL. Failing, meaning that it just peels off, one day when you least expect it.

Linex will fail as well if the surface isn't prepped properly. He was adamant about that. Regardless of who does your liner, or what product they use.... If they skimp on the prep time, you will have problems with it in the future.... guaranteed.

Can't wait to dump my first load of stone in it.....
Old 11-02-2011, 08:55 AM
Unless it's untaxed, then it's red.

Man that's a beautiful thing. I have a line ex job my work truck and its been pretty good. Did your guy save the drains? That's important in my book.
What about bed rails? Did he spray up and over the rail? And how does it look?
Old 11-03-2011, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by #2isgreen
Did your guy save the drains? That's important in my book.
What about bed rails? Did he spray up and over the rail? And how does it look?

All the drains are still there and functioning. 3 @ the headrail that are original. The couple that the P.O. installed, were closed up.

Name:  DSC01011.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  166.5 KB
Old 11-03-2011, 07:01 AM

Wow, that looks fantastic. Turns a beautiful truck into a "more" beautiful truck.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mule Man Willie
Wow, that looks fantastic. Turns a beautiful truck into a "more" beautiful truck.

Thanks MMW... I did it myself.......

NOT !

Truck is pretty.... pretty oily, but pretty !
Old 11-05-2011, 12:05 AM

I'm pretty sure my is the same type of bedliner and the guy that did it did a great job as well. Details are key as you said.

Name:  b7974f54.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  129.3 KB

The only thing I do not like about that liner is anything in the bed not tied down better hold on because the liner doesn't grip very well. I hear the rhino liner grips great but doesn't last so I didn't want it. I just bungee cord my cooler down and no complaints.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:10 AM

I've had three trucks sprayed with line x and all of them looked perfect... They do some great work....
Old 11-05-2011, 11:14 AM

The bedliner came out great!