1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

my 93 surges at idle, what's up???

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimbo486
That's why I feel that my pump isn't quite 100% and that my power numbers would be higher if it were. My truck was bone stock, with the exception of the Banks I/C, when I got it 4 years ago. Even then, I didn't actually turn the fuel screw until about a year and a half ago.
When I got the pump back they turned it up a little over stock 10% maybe.

Reality it felt like 25% +

The 3200 was in before I took it in.

I have another truck with 146k stock & I'm already debating 50k more rebuild time.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wbski007
I do have a good injection pump place in Pensacola but they want $675 to rebuild a pump, why so much I don't know, rebuild kits are only $30, I know its not easy to rebuild one and I don't think I could do it because I don't know what to look for when doing it, I wish I knew what causes the surging or stalling when a pump goes bad, is there a part that always should be replaced when doing one to correct it??, I'm retired and on a fixed income and try and do all my repairs myself, but I just might have to bite the bullet on this one.UGH Thanks guys.
STAY AWAY from Pensacola Injection
Do a review search on them,

$30 kit is just a gasket kit.................. NOT A rebuild kit.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:28 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by wbski007
Yes just black smoke out tail pipe, getting 13 lbs at pump, that should be plenty. Would timing have anything to do with the surging??? I have moved it full circle, I mean all the way against the head to all the way down and seen no differance in the way it ran, any idea's on that??? You would think there should be some differance in the way it ran, the pump doesn't move very far tho so I don't know, 1/2 inch maybe.
I wonder what maks them surge when they get older?? you would think if anything it would just idle faster, things like this bug me to no end, not knowing why its doing what its doing. I had a whole P pump setup from a 95 cummins, injectors, lines, gears and all but I sold it, now I'm sorry I did as they are better pumps from what I hear?? The last 44 I had when it went bad it wouldn't idle at all, as soon as you let off on the fuel it would stall, it never got a chance to surge.
How big of an rpm surge are talking here? I've had one of my old pumps kill the return springs for the cam plate, it would "catipiller" at idle (don't know how to explain that, sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders) but would run just fine above 1700 rpm. Now thinking back I do think I remember having a surge before it completely broke. I'm asking about smoke because grey would indicate there was air in the supply system. With way to much timing in my truck I have a slight surge when cold, but it's also accompanied with a rattle. And no when these pumps get tired they tend to idle low, most guys just turn up the fuel screw to help with the low idle and surge. BUT most of the time it will show up when warm, not cold like yours. Are they the factory injectors? Does the truck "haze" at idle, meaning does it smoke out of the tail pipe at idle?

One word of caution about the shop you mentioned, I've read nothing but bad about them. I have never dealt with them myself but just a word of warning.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It doesn' smoke out the tail pipe after it warms up, very little while cold, they are stock injectors, when cold RPM surge is bad, it kills the motor if left at idle, after it warms up its not bad at all, hardly noticeable, I can live with the way it is by using my throttle cable till it warms up, its just a pain tho, having to do that, sometimes it will stall even after it warms up when you come to a stop, but starts up right away.