1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

My 3200 rpm spring install

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 02:56 PM
TJE

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My 3200 rpm spring install

Well I probably have the all time record for taking the longest time (1.5 days) Anyway I have got everything back together, and it is up, and running.

There is a big difference in truck, however not as much as I was expecting.

I have a question concerning this spring. Could this make the truck shift different? It is shifting firmer than before. (maybe I'm crazy, and tired)

The idle screws were way off even though I marked them any clue why this happened?

I backed the high idle screw to where the acclerator travels the full lenghth, but my idle speed is still a little low.

Thanks Guys for all your help,Tony
Old 10-24-2007, 03:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's not easy at all to see the splines--even if you mark them. A little low on the idle indicates you might be off by a spline---did you have to crank up the low idle to get it to idle at all? If so, I'd say bump it a spline and put the idle screw back where it was. The 3200 spring is a lot stiffer than the 386, so even if the splines were dead on, it's not uncommon to have to fuss with the idle. As for shifting, I row my gears, but maybe the you bumped the TV cable adjsutment while in there?
Old 10-24-2007, 03:32 PM
TJE

Originally Posted by G1625S
It's not easy at all to see the splines--even if you mark them. A little low on the idle indicates you might be off by a spline---did you have to crank up the low idle to get it to idle at all? If so, I'd say bump it a spline and put the idle screw back where it was. The 3200 spring is a lot stiffer than the 386, so even if the splines were dead on, it's not uncommon to have to fuss with the idle. As for shifting, I row my gears, but maybe the you bumped the TV cable adjsutment while in there?
That is exactly what I had to do. It would not even start without getting on the accelarator. I must be off on the splines a touch. Is there any harm in leaving it like it is? What do you mean "I row my gears"

Later, Tony
Old 10-24-2007, 03:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Being off by one spline will hurt power pretty good, as that translates to a lot of rotational motion pulling on that governor spring. You can safely leave it the way it is, but I guarantee you'll pick up quite a seat of the pants kick if you run the low idle screw back where is was and bump a spline.

row gears=manual transmission
Old 10-24-2007, 03:39 PM
TJE

Originally Posted by G1625S
Being off by one spline will hurt power pretty good, as that translates to a lot of rotational motion pulling on that governor spring. You can safely leave it the way it is, but I guarantee you'll pick up quite a seat of the pants kick if you run the low idle screw back where is was and bump a spline.

row gears=manual transmission
Well now that I understand. I'll have to move the spline if not, I'm kindof deafeating my purpose.

Later, Tony
Old 10-31-2007, 12:13 PM
TJE

Guys I went back in and rotated the the hash marks one tooth clockwise....Wow will the truck get down the road now. It drives like a whole new truck.

Thanks for the help, Tony