1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Murphy shreds the flexplate

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 04:50 PM
DBF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Murphy shreds the flexplate

Murphy's laws are still in effect.
#1. Nothing bad happens at home or close to home.
#2. Bad things usually happen on holidays or Sundays, in small towns.

Case in point is that I was towing my 5er on Labor Day from the Florida panhandle toward a reunion in Little Rock. Heading out of Magee, MS, a tremendous clanging started, followed by no power to the rear wheels. I coasted onto a service road off US49 to get out of the way.

I knew what the problem was immediately, after reading all the other posts on the subject in this forum.

Our emergency road service finally found two tow trucks to move the truck and fiver three miles to the local Super 8. We checked into the motel, which has wireless internet. The Super 8 let us plug the trailer into their 115vac to keep it and the refrigerator cool.

Early Tuesday morning, we had the truck towed to a locals-recommended shop, C&S Automotive. They separated the engine and trans, finding a lot of little pieces and two separate circles of steel that used to be one flexplate. They found no additional damage caused by the separation. I gave them the part number from this forum of the flexplate needed. They called Cummins and ordered it; Cummins said they had to get it from a warehouse and that it would be "drop shipped" directly to the shop.

Wednesday, we waited for Fedex to deliver it from Cummins. Didn't show up. Magee MS is getting old.

Thursday am, we find that the flexplate wasn't shipped on the 5th (Tuesday) by Cummins due to some error. Matter of fact, it was shipped about 8:00 last night (the 6th), from Cordova TN. It was delivered just after 11:00am to C&S. I got the truck back about 3:00pm.

Total cost $566 plus motel charges & food in restaurants.

Moral of the story: If you have the resources (hoist, trans jack), and still have a first-gen flexplate, get the sturdier replacement (Cummins 3946161) and put it in as soon as you find it convenient. Don't let it separate on the road.

Regards, DBF
Old 09-07-2006, 04:56 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Sounds like a bad time was had by all.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, Mr. Murphy know exactly the worst time and place for things to happen. My 2000's IP took the big dirt nap down by the jersey shore. 80 miles one way for me to go get it with my truck and trailer.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:18 PM
DBF

Shredded flexplate pix

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Sounds like a bad time was had by all.
Yup. I'd rather kiss a pig and let Jleonard pick the pig.

DBF

Last edited by DBF; 09-07-2006 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Add pictures
Old 09-07-2006, 11:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Same happend to me. Had just returned from a 2 week trip to Alaska and back with the camper. The very next time out with it the flexplate blew about an hour away from home on my way to a good friends wedding. Missed the wedding, had to pay $200 to get it home and they wouldn't tow with the camper on so I had to get picked up, take family home, pick up old beat up farm truck('84 W250 360), drag truck out from underneath camper and put camper on old betaup farm truck that has no airbags, thought the camper jacks were going to drag on the ground!

I still consider myself lucky though, I fixed it myself at home as was able to upgrade the TC and the same time, vs changing it in the dirt in some small backwater town up north without access to the upgraded part number.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:58 AM
Chapter President

Ouch, at least you got it back together.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Banned

Mine blew out 15 minutes from home and I had to be towed home by my freinds GF's 95 Dodge 1500 shortbed. That 360 actually was pulling pretty strong. Guess I got lucky.

KNOCK ON WOOD
Old 09-09-2006, 08:54 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'd be surprised how strong those Mopar SBs are in front of a truck transmission. I have a 5.2 Magnum w/NV3500 5sp and 3.54 rear in my 2000 1/2 ton shortbed, and that thing is amazing. I towed a car trailer total about 5k lbs. from Topeka back to Denver last year with it. Sure, not much by CTD standards, but it was uphill all the way and that little v8 ran WOT in 4th gear plenty of the time to keep up speed on the interstate with no issues or problems whatsoever. Tough little truck.