1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

to much horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mwlv711,Forsomeone against mod. a truck why in your sig does it say that your truck has no muffler,air filter and a NOT factory trannie that will make you go faster sorry just had to point that out ,do as I say not as I do
Old 08-11-2007, 12:10 AM
Muted User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i was gonna tow with my truck, now its gonna be a hot street truck, im gonna buy a extended cab 4x4 dually 5 speed to tow with, i dont care that my truck wont haul a thing when i lower it, it wont be made to, it WILL be made to go fast on the strip and street, just cause its a diesel truck dosent mean it cant be fast and that it just has to be hooked to a trailer, like said above, if you dont like people modding their trucks, dont read the threads.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:10 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jer1, I like the way you think! Gonna go out to the garage tomorrow and have a closer look at that new weedwacker...

But I think you and Mysteryman are both right, in your own perspectives. It's more about the person, not the machine. Being sesible with added power not abusing it will go a long way. If and when something does break under sane aplication, well then that just helped me find the part that needed replaced or upgraded.

After I finally finished building the driveline and suspension in my 340 Duster last year, the first thing I did was take it out for a warmup, stopped in front of the house, ran it up to 4k and dumped the clutch. Must've done something right, cause nothing broke. Now the only question is how much more power can I add before it does.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:37 AM

you dont seem to be reading the whole threadthe mods . i have i did for fuel milage and getting the power i have to the ground not to go faster.i read as much as i can both here and on tdr for information not about every ones modifications to thier hp.i am afterfuel milage and some other info about our truckssuch as wiring and conversions done with other trucks and others technical issues.i am not knocking any one for what they do iwas simply courios as to what the attraction is to more horse power when the factory already gave you plenty to begin with and tghere probably was a reason behind it.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:50 AM

one word pleasure
Old 08-11-2007, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by mwlu711
if i wanted more ponies i would get an old ford with 460 or 390 sorry dodge fans.
Ow Snap!!!!! I owned an 86 F250 Heavy Duty (460) and it had MSD ignition and Edelbrock performer intake, cam, lifters and carb. It would pass most everything but the gas stations. It got 5.5mpg in the hills in South Dakota and 7.5mpg on the flats of Nebraska. Before the rebuild, it managed 10mpg if you idled it around or had a down hill tailwind. Either way, it vapor locked on most hot days in a long pull. Had to drive at night to make any good time. My Cummins, never heats up to the point that the power is unusable and it gets about 17mpg loaded or unloaded pulling the same Alpenlite weighing about 10,500+ with tanks full and loaded. No comparison in my book, Ford is gone and the Cummins is here to stay!!!!!
Old 08-11-2007, 01:44 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Palerider
Ow Snap!!!!! I owned an 86 F250 Heavy Duty (460) and it had MSD ignition and Edelbrock performer intake, cam, lifters and carb. It would pass most everything but the gas stations. It got 5.5mpg in the hills in South Dakota and 7.5mpg on the flats of Nebraska. Before the rebuild, it managed 10mpg if you idled it around or had a down hill tailwind. Either way, it vapor locked on most hot days in a long pull. Had to drive at night to make any good time. My Cummins, never heats up to the point that the power is unusable and it gets about 17mpg loaded or unloaded pulling the same Alpenlite weighing about 10,500+ with tanks full and loaded. No comparison in my book, Ford is gone and the Cummins is here to stay!!!!!
Exactly! Just what would the Dodge fans be sorry about?

John
Old 08-11-2007, 02:13 AM

when i drive easy i can get up to 20 mpg my 93 f-350 w/ a 460 on 44" swampers and a 5spd. had 14" of lift and could roast the tire but it only got 4mpg city or highway. i also had a 99" super duty powerstroker stock that only got 10mpg. and the injectors cost like 200 bucks a piece i think. and a pain in the to work on.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:00 AM

I dont understand the question hehehehe.

But this far i will have to go with "cause i can"
Old 08-11-2007, 05:59 AM

its there,its mine,itspayed for,with MYmoney,its fun im young,theres too many chicks running around that like to go fourwheeling,its fun to talk about,
something else to learn about, i've met lots of cool people i wouldn't even have know existed, i can build it to withstand the power with money or skills, it keeps me away from drugs(besides water/meth,nos. MOST of all i am america this is america build a model,smoke a cigarette,drink a beer, loosen up play with your cummins trucks trust me its fun.

just my $ 0.02
Old 08-11-2007, 08:43 AM

mwlu711 I respect the fact that you are happy with the power that your truck is making in close to stock form. I couldn't be happier for you. My truck was completely stock untill it had 250,000 miles on the clock. My nephew had been after me to do a few { little } mods to it to get a { little } more power. So after a couple of years of him jabbing at me I finally gave in and we did the gov spring and timing. After that My truck was to much fun to leave good enough alone. My truck gets me back and forth to work every day. I drive it long miles to drag race it, and it has only left me stranded twice. And I do love so much to play with other vehicles. So if you have one of those ford 460 power houses. I would like to play.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:16 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
mwlu711, one of the things you don't seem to understand is that most of us who are after big HP do not work our trucks. It's obvious that you can't double the HP and torque, hook on a 12k trailer, and expect the trans and rear to hold together long term.

My truck is my daily driver and rarely has anything in the bed, and I have never even hooked a trailer to it. The only part I've broke was a 12" clutch I never should've used in the first place, the Sachs wouldn't have broken. Those of us who like HP are doing it for our own enjoyment, and we DON'T CARE if we break a few parts - it's all part of the fun.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:00 PM

^ What he said.

Also there are those of us who do some power upgrades and use that new found power. My dream is to eventually get about 400hp, a dual disk clutch, some bigger tires, and show them ford and cheby guys that this ole Dodge can keep up with them on the sled-pulling track. I do not mind breaking parts getting there, just when they break I hope to have enough money for the tranny when it blows but right now, it ain't gonna happen

Jon
Old 08-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Banned

I have done most of my mild modifications for purposes of increasing fuel economy and/or pulling power. Stock trucks were tuned for emissions, not performance or economy. If you can live with <20mpg hwy, fine; I cant (or wont, anyway). I dont tow very often, but when I do, it is usually a dozen or more wet round bales of hay on a gooseneck trailer. It still tickles me to death that my 15 year old, 7200# truck gets roughly the same MPGs (empty)as my girlfriend's '04 2wd Dakota, and only a hair less than her mom's 97 Grand Prix.

DP
Old 08-11-2007, 02:39 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
. . . . Um, . . .. Chics dig a well built truck.

Quick Reply: to much horsepower