1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Mounting pyro and boost? Need some insight

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mounting pyro and boost? Need some insight

Well I got my gauges and I want to install them so I can start bombing my truck . I've been reading on here about the pyro install and it seems that pre-turbo would be the way to go. My only concern is where do I mount the probe on the exhaust manifold. There doesn't seem to be much space there for the probe. Where exactly do I want it? I'm guessing right around where the turbo bolts up to the exhaust manifold. Also about grounding the gauge. I read on here the grounding it right to the motor is the way to go. Where on the motor would I hook it up?

Also for my boost gauge, where do I install the line on the intake? I saw a picture on here where somebody said there was a plug underneath the intake and thats where it could be mounted.

Sorry for my ignorance, this is my first time installing gauges on a truck so I'm pretty green with it .

Also what electrical wires do I hook the gauges up to? I was reading the instructions on the gauges and it mentioned something about hooking the gauge up to a hot wire for power. What wires do I tie into for this?

Any help is appreciated
Thanks
Old 08-29-2005, 07:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I put my probe right here...

And I put my air probe right here... (I had to drill a hole in the bracket- I don't think that later trucks had the bracket...)

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...cat=500&page=1

I tapped into the gauge dimmer switch for my aftermarket gauges, that way they dim along with the rest of the dash (not that you use the dimmers that often)...

As for the hot wire for the gauges- err, I don't quite remember what one I tapped into there...
Old 08-29-2005, 08:18 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
The Begle has it set up right.

I have an aftermarket stereo in my truck so I used the factory stereo dimmer wire, Orange with a white stripe I think.

I used a fuse tap to tie into the power window fuse. If your truck doesn't have power windows it should still have the hot wire into the fuse panel, you can tap into it there with a spade terminal.

Here's a pic of the boost port that will look more recognizable to you. There's a hex head pipe plug in yours right now.

Old 08-29-2005, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys.
Yep thats the plug I was talking about. I take it the brass piece I got with my autometer gauges will thread right in? with teflon tape of course.

So basically for the pyro drill and tap the hole for the probe, with lots of grease on the bit and tap. What other safety measures can I do to prevent bits of metal getting sucked into the turbo All I can think of is a magnet right beside the bit when doing the drilling and tapping.

P.S Can somebody PM me the plans for the Ol' Smokey BHAF mount with part #'s and such. After reading about how K&N's and turbos dont mix, I'm a little scared that I might ruin something
Old 08-29-2005, 10:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used a shop-vac for the metal shavings when drilling for my pyro. For the Old Smokey mount, you can find it here: Old Smokey mount
And the BHAF is available from several places.

Its Fleetguard part #AH19037
NAPA part #FIL2790
WIX part #42790

Available from www.tstproducts.com, www.fleetfilter.com ...