1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

More questions....

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question More questions....

Hey guys, some of you may remember my threads about a mystery noise. I've noticed a couple of things that may or may not be the cause. I believe the passanger side motor mount might be bad. I just had the hood up with the truck running and the door open, put the truck in R, held the brake and bumped the throttle. I could hear the mystery noise, and it sounded like it came from that area. The engine did move some when I hit the throttle, but not that much. I then put it in D and did the same thing. Didn't hear the noise and the engine didn't move at all.

How hard is it to replace that mount? Is there a sticky on it anywhere?

Also, the truck is not sitting level. I put a ruler on the top of the front tire and measured the distance from the ruler to the wheelwell(the outside bottom part, not the inside unpainted wheelwell) On the front I got 2" on the passanger and 1/2" on the drivers. 4" for either side of the back. I'm guessing shocks and maybe springs? How difficult is the install? While I'm under here, I'd like to level the truck out. Can someone tell me how it's done?

Sorry for all the questions, I appreciate your help...
Old 10-21-2007, 08:58 AM

I just swapped my springs out day before yesterday.

It's an easy swap. No spring compressor needed. Just remove the shock, unbolt the track arm, pop the lower ball joint, and lower the arm and remove spring. The new spring goes right back in with no spring compressor needed.

I used the "leveling springs". I believe the Moog part number is 7226S. The "S" on the end makes the difference. It wound up raising the front of my truck near 3 inches over the previous saggy state of affairs. Ride is better too. I bought the springs from my local O Reilly Auto Parts chain store. They had to order them, but it was only a half day wait for them to get them from the warehouse. Price was right at 130 dollars for the pair.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:36 AM

Good deal, thanks for the reply!

I'll check with the parts store around the corner tomorrow. Hopefully they'll have em. Or can get them with no trouble.

Your truck looks good...
Old 10-21-2007, 10:07 AM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggator
Hey guys, some of you may remember my threads about a mystery noise. I've noticed a couple of things that may or may not be the cause. I believe the passenger side motor mount might be bad. I just had the hood up with the truck running and the door open, put the truck in R, held the brake and bumped the throttle. I could hear the mystery noise, and it sounded like it came from that area. The engine did move some when I hit the throttle, but not that much. I then put it in D and did the same thing. Didn't hear the noise and the engine didn't move at all.

How hard is it to replace that mount? Is there a sticky on it anywhere?
As found in "The Sticky" at the top of this forum board ~

Replace your engine mounts ~ https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=158316

Further, Get quality engine mounts ~ https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=158399

Hope this helps,
Old 10-21-2007, 10:45 AM

Wow, David that helps a lot. Thanks for the thorough how to guide, you make it seem easy even for me..