1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Mods that either improve or dont effect fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mods that either improve or dont effect fuel economy

4" exhuast, K&N air filter, timing advance mod, Ford PS intercooler, anything else i'm missing besides water/meth injection???
Old 06-04-2007, 10:10 AM
Banned

I'd recommend getting the injectors pop tested (and cleaned/ reset if they are more than about 300psi low, or have more than 5% variance in pressure) and verify your timing and timing pin accuracy (if you used the pin to check timing). Fuel presure gauge, and new fuel fitler wont hurt.

Keep an eye on your intake hose with that K&N. When I moved to MO from CO, I couldnt keep dirt out, and went back to stock paper.

Daniel
Old 06-04-2007, 10:29 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
IMO the Big Honk'n Air Filter is a better choice. It is a large dry paper filter that is readily available in my area. Bump your timing a little and keep the air up in the tires. Another good change would be to go to synthetic lubricants. They have a lower friction coefiecnt than dino oil so it takes less engine effort. 4" exhaust and no muffler. Don't carry a lot of extra wieght in the truck. Keep your foot off the throttle. I've orderd new injectors from a shop in Omaha that are supposed to give back 3 mpg. When I get them installed I'll start another thread.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:30 AM

I agree, completly drop the K&N , and go BHAF. It will draw in more, cooler with out the stock plastic housing. Your on the right trac! I too recommend Synthetic in EVERYTHING, right down to the power steering.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:39 PM

So do you guys recommend a synthetic Dextron in the powersteering?? Like Amsoil of Mob 1? I'd like to do this in both of my trucks as they get a bit goofy in cold weather.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:59 PM
Banned

The FSM recommends against ATF in power steering, though I think it says you can use it in an emergency. I run regular power steering fluid in my steering. I may go synthetic when I get around to getting the box redone.

DP
Old 06-04-2007, 03:10 PM

I cross referenced Amsoil's recommendation to each truck for u and came up with this for the '02:
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx
Its their Synthetic universal ATF.
They did not list however anything for the 1st gen, so, I recommend their Supershift racing ATF here:
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/art.aspx
The older vehicles use ATF any how. So thats what I would use, and will in my next 1st gen. Its for the high HP, high heat, conditions of racing, so it will hold up well to the high pressure conditions of older power steering systems.

Thats what I recommend anyway, but something similar will do well also.

Trending Topics

Old 06-04-2007, 05:20 PM

Thanks guys, where can I order one of these BHAFs?
Old 06-04-2007, 08:01 PM

I've changed to synthetic engine oil and noticed I smell the crank case ventilation more the w/standard oil. Changes back and little or no smell, changed back to synthetic and smell has returned? Any ideas.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:27 PM

Synthetic oils are less viscous but provide as good or better lubricity. The less viscous nature allows it to flow easier requiring less effort to be pumped through the system. In older higher mileage engines this lower viscosity allows a little more cylinder wall lubrication. The synthetics also have a higher tolerance for high temps. The combination of thinner oil and higher flash point produce the increased odor. Whenever switching over to a new type of oil, it is a very good idea to keep a close watch on oil level. Some oils leak past seals better than others.
As for using Amsoil Universal ATF in the power steering? I have been doing that for about a year now. No runs, no drips no errors. I put it in when I changed steering gear boxes and the high pressure hose. In fact I run it in everything but the tranny. It isn't time to change that yet, but when it is I will go with Amsoil ATF.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
p/s fluid

Anyone in cold climates that use atf usally lands up with blowen seals,p/s oil is thinner
Old 06-04-2007, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by SN162
Thanks guys, where can I order one of these BHAFs?
I buy mine from NAPA, but there ae other sources available.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by olddodgetrucks
Anyone in cold climates that use atf usally lands up with blowen seals,p/s oil is thinner
I dunno bout that, when i first got mine it leaked pretty good, well i got tired of it, n didnt have to money, so i did the lucas ps stop leak thing, n filled er up! that stuff is THICK. it did fine all winter, i had to let it run for a few minutes to get steering, but by the time i left the driveway when it was 30 below i had power steering back. lol, no more leak either. I dont suggest doing that, but it worked.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Boatnik
I've orderd new injectors from a shop in Omaha that are supposed to give back 3 mpg. When I get them installed I'll start another thread.
Do these injectors offer an increase in power too?
Old 06-05-2007, 07:31 AM

just out of a matter of curiosity, if my injectors have 200,000+ miles on them, if i went to a 190 injector, could it help me with milage? i want something with a good spray , with just a little more horses. because i checked getting them popped and its between $300 - $450, and thats about as much as 190's

Quick Reply: Mods that either improve or dont effect fuel economy