1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Mod list....

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mod list....

Okay...so this is my plan for the 1st gen...this is a truck I rarely pull with and never much weight. All i want is a good all-around turbo/exhaust housing set up (quick spool without diminishing top end, 4.10's do enough to top end already). I will not race this truck, but i want it to be quick...really quick for its size. I would like to see 300-350 hp and cool egts (reasonably so). tell me...is this list okay.....is it the best way? Anything you have to say will be appreciated. The money i will spend on this truck can not be spent unwisely...but the modding bug is eating me alive..so this is something I must do. The list:
ASA modified intake
3200 GSK
Fuel pin
HTT Stage IV kit
14cm housing
Isspro pyro, tranny temp, fuel press
Injectors (no pods)..but which kind?

This is what I have planned so far....i also need to figure out how much more fuel my pump can deliver. I was thinking about getting a htt exhaust manifold...good? bad? unnecessary?
My tranny is apparently in good working order...aside from some misaligned shifting forks...and the clutch is stock...and original I believe. What mods might i need to do to these items?
How much hp can i get away with if i use a non wg housing?
Thanks. redwake.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:43 PM

I would say that you got some good stuff going. you could make your own intake for cheaper if you wanted i just put a bhaf on mine and stole some aluminum pipe off of a semi. the 14 non gated will be awesome as long as you dont push too much fuel, but could eventually be holding you back... i had one on with stock injectors and some fuel tweaks and the ol girl never got over 1000 for temp and ran awesome. For injectors if your not looking for major power than i would say get some bosch 190s. if your thinking you need some more i have the xxxs and absolutely love them. the 190s i would guess will get you around 300. as for your tranny i would say as long as its in good shape you should not have any problems, the stock sachs clutches are **** good clutches. As for the manifold i dont think it will be a necessity... there wont be a very noticable gain.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:55 AM

Make sure your boost is under 36psi and you will be fine. I like the 14cm w/g. sounds like a good plan.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:22 AM

htt stage IV and 14cm WG, save the money and just buy a whole, better, turbo.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by redwake9112
I would like to see 300-350 hp and cool egts (reasonably so). tell me...is this list okay.....
ASA modified intake
3200 GSK
Fuel pin
HTT Stage IV kit
14cm housing
Isspro pyro, tranny temp, fuel press
Injectors (no pods)..but which kind?

How much hp can i get away with if i use a non wg housing?
Thanks. redwake.
If you're on a budget, build your own intake and toss a BHAF on there. Grind your own fuel pin. Go with the stage III, again, if you're on a budget. A non-gated 14 won't support 300 HP worth of fuel without overboosting. Either keep the 18.5 (which is still only marginal over 300 HP when it comes to controling boost) or get a gated 12 and port it. A better option would be an HTBG or something similar, but that's JMO. PODs will get you 300 and change with the above mods, but since you don't want to go there, maybe some DDP III's or custom edm's, but again, it'll all be more $$$.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:51 AM
Chapter President

You should add piston LP or Walbro system to the list.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:22 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
That's not really enough turbo for 350 HP and cool EGT's. You will be able to make 350 HP for playtime use, just don't hold it there too long. The 14 cm housing is a bad idea, find someone who wants to get rid of an 18.5 cm.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:30 PM

Okay...so it seems the 14 cm housing is out...but I really do not want an 18 either. My brother has a 91.5 with a fairly maxxed pump and the spool is aight...but not anything extraordinary. The twelve cm housing is a definite option. The waste gate expense is necessary apparently...but will hurt the wallet. SO..the better road is to get a bigger turbo? How much can I change the housing without a negative affect on the boost potentiality?
I will make my own intake....the airflo site was the answer there.
Lastly....ballpark prices on the ddp's or edm's?
redwake
Old 02-19-2007, 05:43 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Bigger injectors will make a huge difference in spool-up. I've driven a couple 18.5 cm equipped trucks and they will spool pretty good with enough fuel.

A 12 cm is too restrictive for your HP goals and reasonable EGT.

Expect to spend around $800 for injectors.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:30 PM

Would the htt h-charger 60/16 be a reasonable upgrade?

Will the 16 cm housing non/wg do the trick?

I cannot spend $1k on a turbo yet...five years from now, yes....but now I am driving around with a fairly non-existent turbo due to the housing...and I would like to upgrade both. I guess if I do not see 300 hp ...no big deal...I can work on that ...but I need a very productive, nonrestrictive...fairly cool set up. Will decent inectors be an overload on this set up or no?

Remember...I am running 20 psi....but I am reasonably sure the pump is just mildly tweaked, and no fuel pin. I will have a high flo intake...and I have the 4" exhaust.....lol....btw...no pyro yet stupid..I know...so I am unsure of egts.

Anybody with this set up want to chime in?
I apologize if these questions are old news...but I am not diesel smart redwake
Old 02-19-2007, 07:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, as long as you're not heck-bent on 300+HP, make a hybrid outta your current turbo for a couple hundred bucks and try to score some used 190 injectors. That would be pretty similar to my setup and I'd guess my truck makes mid to high-ish 200's for HP and a boat load of torque I pulled 5 truck lengths on a '06 powerstroke from 35-75 without shifting from 4th gear the other day...
Old 02-19-2007, 10:18 PM

Okay.....what do ya'll think about this:

Stage IV w/16 non wg and Bosch 190's

How well will this work? Is the stage III better for this set up?

Is a wastegated turbine housing a must in my situation...considering I will prob not see 300 hp without bigger injectors?

I wanted more power...but....it's just not going to happen yet...I think this will be an amazing difference from the lagmaster I currently drive.

(G1625S.....you have a stage III, right?)

Does anybody think anything particularily good or bad about the 16cm housing? Quite a few people have them on here...so some experienced opinions would be awesome. Thanks all. redwake
Old 02-20-2007, 12:00 AM

This was my setup for 341hp/842lbft in my old daily driven '92 5-spd CTD with peak boost at 46psi, and peak EGT at 1,050-degrees yanking a car and some parts on a trailer up a hill...

Fleetguard BHAF.
Custom Inlet Tube & Heat Shroud.
HX-35/40 Hybrid Turbo with internal bearing/oiling mods.
16cm2 Wastegated Turbine Housing with flapper welded shut.
Custom 3.5" Downpipe to 4" Straightpipe Exhaust and 5" Tip after rear axle.
Lucas "P.O.D" Injectors.
Pump Tweaked.
3,200 GSK.
DDP Old Smokey Fuel Pin.
Southbend Con O Clutch.

That's it.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:27 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder what one of those Schwitzers would do with a set of nice EDMs and a 21?
Old 02-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally Posted by redwake9112
Okay.....what do ya'll think about this:

Stage IV w/16 non wg and Bosch 190's

How well will this work? Is the stage III better for this set up?

Is a wastegated turbine housing a must in my situation...considering I will prob not see 300 hp without bigger injectors?

I wanted more power...but....it's just not going to happen yet...I think this will be an amazing difference from the lagmaster I currently drive.

(G1625S.....you have a stage III, right?)

Does anybody think anything particularily good or bad about the 16cm housing? Quite a few people have them on here...so some experienced opinions would be awesome. Thanks all. redwake
That sounds like a well matched combination. You will be fine without the wastegate unless you start dabbling in drugs.

Quick Reply: Mod list....