1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Mind Boggling Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SORTIE
Mike, women are NEVER happy
at least with me! This seams to be my problem no matter what it is. If any of you can share the secret of keeping the woman happy please tell

368, the back half of the truck is '01 F-350. This made my life a lot easier, got rid of the 4:88 gears and all the old suspension for 3:73 with sway bar, shocks, ect. Now having 4 wheel disc brakes I changed the hydro booster for proper braking. With the F's frame having a fuel cell it also allowed me to eliminate the tank behind the seat for the stereo.

The pto drives the bed mounted wicked winch. I don't need the Brownie any more since the 47 RH has overdrive. But if I take it out then I don't have a pto for the winch. I'll probably just leave the Brownie if it continues to run trouble free.

Watch the video it shows it working, you can hear the chain clunking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSkgfrQ6goQ

ww, the '68 W300 Power Wagon is a retired Edison Power Co. truck. The gas engine went out and a retired Marine installed a 99HP Internation DT 366 with 4:88 gears . It will only go 45 mph wide open so he parked it. 25 years later I came along and got it running but it smoked. After servicing the injectors and Roosa Master pump it still smoked. I even poured Borax down the intake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpEZDGeKfaY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVGmraQ3lEE&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzXZqi26gTA

That's when I got my thinking strait and dropped in the '93 CTD. The CTD weighted 700 lbs less and gives more room and HP. But the DT366 sure was quiet diesel.

Sure do luv the Cummins
Attached Thumbnails Mind Boggling Question-dodge-rear-end-002.jpg  
Old 08-30-2011, 11:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Truck is looking sweet, what kind of mileage do you get with that set up?
Old 09-03-2011, 04:11 PM

ww, it gets the best mileage in the fleet. If I drive easy on the highway it runs about 19 mpg. Running 70 on the highway about 16-17 mpg. Around town about 14 mpg.

I'm anticipating the mileage to go down with the auto in place of the 10 speed. Hope it don't fall much.

Whenever I have a rig deliver and it's not a rush deliver it's fun to take the old truck. I even take it up over the grape vine into LA. But if the rig needs it right now I don't take a chance.
Attached Thumbnails Mind Boggling Question-hauling-gravel-007.jpg   Mind Boggling Question-kenia-16a.jpg   Mind Boggling Question-mc-mobil-gsd-22.jpg   Mind Boggling Question-10-000.jpg  
Old 09-04-2011, 01:25 AM

Mc, love what you have done to the truck and nice to see that it has some work duty. Was it tough to find a nice old power wagon? It seems that it is tough to find a nice one. Reason for going auto?
Old 09-04-2011, 10:49 AM

ww, I wasn't looking for the truck when I found it. The retired army guy who put the diesel in it then let it sit for 25 yrs, had it for sale in his front yard $1,000. I stopped and looked at it then a few days later I saw some one else looking so I jumped on it.

10 speed vs. auto
1. Main reason, the woman just can't seem to firgure it out. Her favorite saying "my Jetta don't shift that way" . I like it that we do everything together and be nice if she could drive.

2. Other reason is my home made bell housing adaptor with the push style clutch did not have a clutch brake. So when the tranny was warm it was difficult to get into gear. So you had to sit at the long light with your foot on the clutch (made it more difficult for her to drive).

3. I sure like the close ratio 10 speed out on the open road. With only a 450 rpm drop between shifts it sure keeps the CTD pulling. But it sucks in stop and go traffic.

4. My plan is to keep the truck and automatics are so nice
Attached Thumbnails Mind Boggling Question-adapter.jpg   Mind Boggling Question-misc.-pics-010.jpg   Mind Boggling Question-clutch5.jpg  
Old 09-04-2011, 08:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Mike, it is cool to hang with the old lady but one of the reasons I love my truck is that I am the only one who drives it (until my daughter gets old enough)

my wife won't even ride in it as a passenger, and would have NO IDEA how to operate it

now I'm 51 so maybe that changes my perspective but we have a nice new SUV to drive when she wants some "togetherness" time

(heck, she won't even drive my 85 M-B 300TDT)

personally I would keep the manual and save my time & money, it's way cool
Old 09-04-2011, 09:53 PM

Sortie, Ain't got enough money to buy her a new SUV's and rebuild old trucks. I'm kinda of a junk/antique collector (figure my money is better off in scrap than any were else). I've bought several old Cats on the way to the scrap yard. Seems like when the dad dies the kids unload. I saved this old D8 from scrap for $2,800 and now it's doubled in scrap value. And it runs!

Here is a video of my friend operating it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI9yQo4SPyA

I picked up this old KW with a non teir engine for 10K and registered it as a Historical Truck to haul my old tractors to the tractor shows. So when I feal like shifting gears I drive it

Hopefully with the old Power Wagon having an auto now the woman can handle fallowing me with our 24' travel trailer. But I'll still be driving it all the time. Luv driving old trucks!!!
Attached Thumbnails Mind Boggling Question-daron-crane.jpg   Mind Boggling Question-santa-margarita-show-002.jpg   Mind Boggling Question-7-6-10-iphone-pics-017.jpg   Mind Boggling Question-hauling-002.jpg   Mind Boggling Question-santa-margarita-show-014.jpg  

Old 09-04-2011, 10:52 PM

Nothing really constructive to add to the topic, just wanted to comment on how sweet your truck is.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:14 PM

Thank You Sir!!!

I work on the drilling rigs but like a lot of you guys we have always liked them old trucks. With it being historical my tags and fee's add up to $63 a year. Insurance is cheap too since it's not for hire. Big savings over buying a new diesel pickup. Sure is fun to drive!
Old 09-05-2011, 05:05 AM
KRB

Received 525 Likes on 364 Posts
Thats WAY cool. Does it sit on Ford springs too? Looks a lot taller than a W300, I'd a guessed a W400 or bigger.

You ever on the PWA forum?
Old 09-05-2011, 10:34 AM

Yes the back half is all '01 F-350 with a 4" block. It's the service truck version with the extra leafs and flat frame rails. The plan is to pull out a few of the shorter leafs at the bottom of the pack to see if it will ride a little better. A couple of inches lower might make it a little easier to get in and out, but sure is nice being up high and having a good view. Now I can see over 6' fences and see what collectables they have or a bikini tanning at the pool

Attached is a pic that shows were the W's frame and F's frame came together. Combining the two allowed me to lengthen the wheelbase for the Brownie to fit.

This is the trailer I'm trying to get the woman to pull. Ain't easy teaching her something new but I'm proud she'll give it a try.
Attached Thumbnails Mind Boggling Question-4th-exhaust-006.jpg  
Old 09-05-2011, 12:58 PM
KRB

Received 525 Likes on 364 Posts
So are you a Mopar guy or is that just the truck that came available like you said and the make didn't matter?
Old 09-05-2011, 01:31 PM

I can see why having an auto is nice for the convenience factor. What transmission are you planning on doing? What was your reasoning for doing an F350 rear end with for suspension? Just curious, I'm interested in doing one of these cause I love the 60's W300's and up trucks.

Thanks
Old 09-05-2011, 10:36 PM

KRB, no I stumbled across the truck but I am a Cummins fan.

ww, I already bought a built 47RH for the truck. The reason for the F-350 is because I found a wrecked truck for $1,500 and the back half was good. Was a great buy. Really made my life a lot easier.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:12 PM

ww, not sure if AZ is the same way but my tags are $380 a year. The tags are about $65 and weight fee's are $315. Sucks! Concider that when looking for something heavy duty.

OK got another tough ????

The shifter linkage is ran for the 47RH but I feal like it needs a safety to prevent it from going into another gear. If I accidentaly bump the lever it could easially be moved into reverse

I was thinking of a park pin but used in the drive position. When the transmission is in drive a pin would pop in and hold it there until a button was pushed to release it. Maybe put the button on the floor so the left foot could hold it down when wanting to change gears. This could also work as a anti theft device too. It would only go into reverse and neatral until the button was pushed.

Thats my idea as of now, can you all help me fine tune it or have a better idea? Like a machanical fork to hold it in gear?
Attached Thumbnails Mind Boggling Question-auto-linkag.jpg   Mind Boggling Question-auto-linkage.jpg  

Quick Reply: Mind Boggling Question