1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Message center relocate for guages

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 05:56 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by BearKiller
That is exactly the kind of "out of the box" thinking that keeps this site interesting.

Even though someone may not copy an idea to the letter, seeing what someone else has done is often a source of ideas to accomplish any number of tasks, such as your using an old scrap kick-panel for the necessary plastic to accomplish the job.

Good job.
I was thinking what a perfect place for my LCD screen for my DVD player and backup cameras but the gauges look nice there too.
Jim
Old 07-29-2008, 05:58 PM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Check out this install

This is from mysteryman at TDR.

"Here is a project I have been working on for a while. I never liked junk screwed to my dash or pillar post. The message center was retained but relocated. Notice the lights between the gauges. They are the lights for the message center. The Isspro gauges work well but the convex glass bezels make for a lot of reflections . They are hard to read for the glare on the glass....,
This was quite a challenging project due to space restrictions.....The pyro brain box is mounted behind the ac vent behind the glove box.... I know some mount the box under the hood....I felt the box would not survive well out there and I really did not want any more junk bolted to my fender wells! The dash panel in the pic was a beat up one I had laying around that I used for the prototype...I did not want to cut up a good one till I figured out exactly how I was going to do it. I will now replace it with a better looking one....
Due to space restrictions I had to use small LED's instead of incandescent bulbs
for the message center...This presented quite a challenge due to the fact that the led's did not put enough load on the circuits ....It would take a while to explain. I did not include a light for the antilock brake circuit.....I don't use the antilock system on any of my trucks! There was enough room however to include it if I wanted to..I am also going to make name plates for each light on my embossing machine next chance I get..
The Isspro gauges work very well..The convex bezels are a bad idea...Due to glare problem. I will not be using them again unless they offer a flat glass version!
Dodge really should have included these gauges when the trucks were built..I recall that it was proposed. The idea was shot down due to cost. If the trucks were left alone and used within their design limits extra gauges were really not needed...."

Old 07-30-2008, 12:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Alwaysworking
so what does it run for boost and egts, now that there up where you can see them?
I have not driven it much in the last few days for various reasons. The boost almost never registers anything (21 cm) unless I really get on it, but then I am going so fast, I am afraid to take my eyes off the road. I have seen boost of 21 or 22 psi, but not for long, and I never feelit "light-up" like I do on my '95.

I have had the egts up to 700* post turbo. I'm sure it would go higher if I pulled a grade and/or a trailer. As careful as I was, I have a bad power connection to the pyro guage. When it stops, I wiggle my fingers under the dash, and it comes back. I soldered and shrink-tubed everything but the switched power to the pyro. See what I get for using the hinky blue snap thiny-dingies that come with the guage.

I am totally amazed how cool my tranny runs. The needle just sits there at the bottom, no matter the driving conditions. It will probably change once I put the probe in.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:03 AM
alwaysonDTR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trooperthorn
I have not driven it much in the last few days for various reasons. The boost almost never registers anything (21 cm) unless I really get on it, but then I am going so fast, I am afraid to take my eyes off the road. I have seen boost of 21 or 22 psi, but not for long, and I never feelit "light-up" like I do on my '95.

I have had the egts up to 700* post turbo. I'm sure it would go higher if I pulled a grade and/or a trailer. As careful as I was, I have a bad power connection to the pyro guage. When it stops, I wiggle my fingers under the dash, and it comes back. I soldered and shrink-tubed everything but the switched power to the pyro. See what I get for using the hinky blue snap thiny-dingies that come with the guage.

I am totally amazed how cool my tranny runs. The needle just sits there at the bottom, no matter the driving conditions. It will probably change once I put the probe in.

i thinks its better peice of mind to leave the tranny probe out it will never get hot