1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Maybe a HX-40?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 04:26 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Maybe a HX-40?

I was just reading some of the old posts and fell on one using a HX-40 for towing with 190's. I already have a four inch down pipe and putting a 4 inch flange on it in place of the 3" and 3x4 reducer wouldn't be hard at all. How sluggish would that settup be for driving to work? Has anyone tried it with an automatic?

The slippery slope has given way to a sheer drop!
Old 03-25-2007, 04:40 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's what you need:

ebay item# 290095866990

I'd buy 'em myself if I had the slightest clue what I was was doing, turbo-wise!
Old 03-25-2007, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the HTT stage IV basically a HX40 compressor wheel put onto the H1C? If that is the case, then you'd be wasting money with the HX40. I've also read threads about HX40 shaft failures (due to the H1C/HX35 shaft but with larger compressor and turbine wheels = more stress), but those are in high horsepower applications.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:31 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
If you can find a used 40 for a good price, it would not be a bad choice if driven carefully (no barking allowed).

Otherwise get an HTBG or HTB2
Old 03-25-2007, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not entirely convinced you're making the most of your current air. With a similar setup and an 18.5cm housing, I get 34psi and only 1300*, and I don't have a 4" exhaust. I think your boost is still too low; a hybrid with 16cm housing should be able to keep up with 190's.

I'm tempted to try an HX40 myself. We have a few tractors with them here....
Old 03-25-2007, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
If you can find a used 40 for a good price, it would not be a bad choice if driven carefully (no barking allowed).

Otherwise get an HTBG or HTB2
No Barking? I don't know how to not do that. I swear I thought I heard a little bark out of my stage four
Old 03-25-2007, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by gman07
I'm not entirely convinced you're making the most of your current air. With a similar setup and an 18.5cm housing, I get 34psi and only 1300*, and I don't have a 4" exhaust. I think your boost is still too low; a hybrid with 16cm housing should be able to keep up with 190's.

I'm tempted to try an HX40 myself. We have a few tractors with them here....
Ok, what could I have overlooked. The system is tight as far as I can tell. Even the drop test looked good. The muffler is as big as I can physically fit inside the frame rails. THe BHAF is only a month old and hasn't seen any real dirt and no water. I could have gotten higher than 1600 but my Isopro won't read that high. I have the timing half way to the head. Can 190's see timing like the POD's? That much heat on top of the piston's ain't good .
Old 03-25-2007, 08:43 PM

boatnik, what is you top psi on a hard run?
Old 03-25-2007, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Micaiahfied
boatnik, what is you top psi on a hard run?
The best I can get is 30 psi.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:22 PM

have you checked the intake? intercooler? i have to believe you've got a leak somewhere. my wife's 92 (in sig) is running 16cm, pump tweaks, and bumped timing with a stock tranny and can hit 26psi. with all your mods unless the pump is set very conservative you should be able to spool up into HG popping range!
Old 03-26-2007, 06:41 AM

The best I could get with stock injectors was about 20. But I don't know when the gauge line started leaking. With the dark grey haze I an pumping out the tail pipe I feel like there is plenty of fuel dumping into the engine. Especially since I am approaching melt down. I'm begining to wonder if the exhaust side of the turbo needs attention. What mods could I do to the divider plate and would the mods help any? The only thing that has been done is match porting the 16cm to the manifold and the center portion of the gasket is missing.
I hate to admit it but I'm thinking that school bus muzzle is the part of the problem. The turbo spins free with no noticable play. The compressor wheel looks good as the day I put it on. The exhaust wheel looked good a year ago when I changed housings. I,m going to put a pressure gage on the compressor housing and run a comparison across the cooler. Does anyone know what the acceptable differential pressure from inlet to outlet would be on a factory intercooler?
Old 03-26-2007, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ace
Here's what you need:

ebay item# 290095866990

I'd buy 'em myself if I had the slightest clue what I was was doing, turbo-wise!
WOW! Way to rich for my blood. They went for $2800 plus. Besides, I don't think that VE could dump enough fuel in them to keep that much spooled up. Thanks for thinking about me.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, only 100 miles of road driving. That's because he was too busy yanking the sled all the time! Those turbos are USED.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:10 PM

Ok, I disconnected the intercooler at the hoses. Got out my trusty Toro elec. leaf blower. I attached it to the outlet of the cooler and turned it on especting to see bird feathers or dirt or any kind of foreign material. I even poured a couple cup fulls of windshield washer solution in it and blew it out. It is clean enough that there is no back pressure on the blower. I reconnected everything but the filter hose and installed a gauge at the compressor housing. Brought up pressure to 15 pounds at the housing. I only got 7 or 8 at the manifold with very little air escaping through the engine. I suspect the cheap little oil pressure gauge is not playing in the same ball park. So, until I can get a descent boost gauge I really cannot say with any accuracy what my manifold pressure is reading. I will guess and say that it is greater than 30 pounds. That being the case. Why am I close to melt down WOT at 65 mph in overdrive pulling a boat? It keeps going back to the muffler. I really don't want the noise but for one or two weekends I can stomach the rackett. I just hope the neighbors don't run me out of town yet. The new house isn't built.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:15 AM
Banned

Have you had your injectors checked? That would be first on my list. It sounds like you have your air side checked out and up to snuff. Now time to start on fuel. If the engine has seen an easy life, and not pulled much, the injectors could be in worse shape than if it had been worked since day one. I've seen it many times. Same with the pump. If something is sticking in there, it wont advance, or fuel quite like it should. It takes quite a lot of wear/ sticking on a pump and injectors for a diesel to NOT run. You'd be surprised how well a truck can run and still need new pump internals and new injectors.

I had a 93 several years ago (this is where I learned to steer away from cream puffs- this one pulled a loaded 4 horse trailer at most) that had injectors popping at right around 2000psi (supposed to be around 3550). I was getting 14-15mpg empty. Got the injectors cleaned and reset, and I jumped to 19-20.

Daniel

Quick Reply: Maybe a HX-40?