1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Marker Lights and Gauge Illumination, but no tail lights...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 05:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Marker Lights and Gauge Illumination, but no tail lights...

Gentlemen, I just put a new headlight switch in, and un-plugged my tool box/headache rack lighting for diagnostic purposes. Just today, while the truck was idling, I lost the tail lights. Not the running lights, and I didn't blow the fuse. I still have gauge illumination, and the marker lights on the front fenders and grill still work. What in the world is going on? I'm starting to hate electricity !
Old 02-07-2013, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was the headlight plug melted at all?
Old 02-07-2013, 08:27 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check your connections at the new switch and check that you have the bayonet switch fully inserted in the headlight switch. Also check the ground at the pass side taillight housing and the one under the dash from the switch harness.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:53 PM

Thanks guys! I went through the FSM and found the splice where the front end markers and rear end markers split. I just need to locate it on the truck.... and tear it apart tomorrow night. I will also check the things you guys mentioned. I do know that the problem is upstream from the tail lights though, because I have my box and rack plugged into the harness on the frame where most ppl put their trailer wiring.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by schamran
I have my box and rack plugged into the harness on the frame where most ppl put their trailer wiring.
Re-reading your original post, it sound like the issue started after you disconnected the box/headache rack?
is it possible your splice into the harness there is at fault? clip connectors could cut the wire? might be worth looking there first
Old 02-08-2013, 06:59 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by schamran
Thanks guys! I went through the FSM and found the splice where the front end markers and rear end markers split. I just need to locate it on the truck.... and tear it apart tomorrow night. I will also check the things you guys mentioned. I do know that the problem is upstream from the tail lights though, because I have my box and rack plugged into the harness on the frame where most ppl put their trailer wiring.
I have seen splices, especially the suit case type, break the spliced wire while maintaining the alternate path. Check those splices carefully. I've also seen the harness get violated by welding, spare tire, or whatever as it makes it's way to the back. In their infernal wisdom, Dodge put a bunch of connectors in the wiring behind the back wheels and under the bumper where road slop paints them real well. Anyway, your trouble is somewhere between the splice to the rack, and the back.

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
Re-reading your original post, it sound like the issue started after you disconnected the box/headache rack?
is it possible your splice into the harness there is at fault? clip connectors could cut the wire? might be worth looking there first
Please read his posts. The circuit is alive along the left frame rail under the truck, long after the switch.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by j_martin
Anyway, your trouble is somewhere between the splice to the rack, and the back.
Originally Posted by j_martin
Please read his posts. The circuit is alive along the left frame rail under the truck, long after the switch.
Got that.... I meant the same thing you said, you just said it better...
I meant checking the splice where hsi box headache rack are joined in..
Old 02-09-2013, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
Got that.... I meant the same thing you said, you just said it better...
I meant checking the splice where hsi box headache rack are joined in..
<egg on face>
I owe you an apology. I was still keying off on your first post about the switch connector. I didn't read your second post carefully.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any idea what color wire is for the tail lights lost mine tonight. vgot brakes n signals but no tails lol.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:58 PM

no prob J
Old 02-10-2013, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by 93-p-pumper
Any idea what color wire is for the tail lights lost mine tonight. vgot brakes n signals but no tails lol.
Black/yellow trace
Old 02-11-2013, 01:19 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Where are the headache rack lights connected, where is this connector located on the frame? is it a plug in splice or was it wired in? Do you have power at the 7-way connector?

My license plate lights sometimes become intermittent until I move the connector.

Skotchlock connectors are notorious for breaking the wire it pierces, U-haul flunkies have screwed up a few cars with them.

Both tailamps didn't burn out did they?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Lane
Where are the headache rack lights connected, where is this connector located on the frame? is it a plug in splice or was it wired in? Do you have power at the 7-way connector?

My license plate lights sometimes become intermittent until I move the connector.

Skotchlock connectors are notorious for breaking the wire it pierces, U-haul flunkies have screwed up a few cars with them.

Both tailamps didn't burn out did they?
My daughter was visiting from Montana and she wanted me to change out the turn signal switch. She was told that kept both brake lights and the collision avoidance lamp from lighting.

Before I submitted to that order, I checked the bulbs. All 3 were bad.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:46 PM

Thanks for the help guys! I found the culprit! I traced the black/yellow tracer wire down the firewall, and to where it crosses the frame under the truck. The wire had worn all of the way through at this point. It was rubbing on the frame because the loom was missing. There was a brown wire that was worn about half way through as well. I soldered them up, and put heat shrink and new loom on. Good to go. lol I can't believe it took me so long to find!
Old 02-11-2013, 05:50 PM

Oh, and I used the trailer harness deals for my headache rack and tool box lights. They plug in between the tail light plugs. I have a separate one for my trailer wiring, all stacked together. One of these days I'm gonna have to put all that stuff on relays, or at least the running lights.

Quick Reply: Marker Lights and Gauge Illumination, but no tail lights...