1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Major Fuel Leak. What Do You Guys Think I Should Do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013 | 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AND, when the wo dots on the camshaft gear and the one dot on the crankshaft gear align, is this TDC?
Old 07-28-2013 | 04:08 PM

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,121 Posts
From the FSM here are the removal and installation procedures for the fuel injection pump on our trucks.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Major Fuel Leak. What Do You Guys Think I Should Do?-fuel-inj-pump-page-1.jpg   Major Fuel Leak. What Do You Guys Think I Should Do?-fuel-inj-pump-page-2.jpg   Major Fuel Leak. What Do You Guys Think I Should Do?-fuel-inj-pump-page-3.jpg   Major Fuel Leak. What Do You Guys Think I Should Do?-fuel-inj-pump-page-4.jpg   Major Fuel Leak. What Do You Guys Think I Should Do?-fuel-inj-pump-page-5.jpg  

Old 07-28-2013 | 10:35 PM

thank you lots
Old 08-01-2013 | 10:09 PM

Hey everybody. Stopped by a local diesel shop today and picked up my Bosch seal kit. Finally found a place that had one! $12.50! They had an entire room dedicated to rebuilding and sealing injection pumps. It was super impressive. They just so happened to have my same pump sitting out so the guy there showed me around it! I feel super comfortable about everything I'm doing now and I'll be doing it all Saturday!

The one last thing I forgot to ask him was: is there a certain way I need to bleed off fuel pressure before I starting pulling fuel lines? And is there a special way I need to go about primin the fuel system once it is all back together?
Old 08-01-2013 | 10:18 PM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Originally Posted by DOZENVALVE
Hey everybody. Stopped by a local diesel shop today and picked up my Bosch seal kit. Finally found a place that had one! $12.50! They had an entire room dedicated to rebuilding and sealing injection pumps. It was super impressive. They just so happened to have my same pump sitting out so the guy there showed me around it! I feel super comfortable about everything I'm doing now and I'll be doing it all Saturday!

The one last thing I forgot to ask him was: is there a certain way I need to bleed off fuel pressure before I starting pulling fuel lines? And is there a special way I need to go about primin the fuel system once it is all back together?
There should not be any pressure in the fuel line, but be careful anyway. As far as when you are done, you need to bleed the air from the fuel lines. You pump the little hand pump on the lift pump. until you have fuel at the injector pump. Make sure to fill the fuel filter with fuel. You crack the inlet at the IP until there is good fuel from the lift pump. You then start by cracking the #1 injector line with a 17 mm wrench and crank the engine until there is good fuel coming out. Close it and do the same for the rest, but don't be surprised if it starts before you get to them all...Mark
Old 08-02-2013 | 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by maybe368
There should not be any pressure in the fuel line, but be careful anyway. As far as when you are done, you need to bleed the air from the fuel lines. You pump the little hand pump on the lift pump. until you have fuel at the injector pump. Make sure to fill the fuel filter with fuel. You crack the inlet at the IP until there is good fuel from the lift pump. You then start by cracking the #1 injector line with a 17 mm wrench and crank the engine until there is good fuel coming out. Close it and do the same for the rest, but don't be surprised if it starts before you get to them all...Mark
Thanks mark, you've been a big help. I just want to clarify that when I am cracking the inlet at the injection pump and watching for good fuel, I am NOT cranking the motor at this point. Just hand pumping at the lift pump, correct? And am I cracking the injector line at the injection pump, or the other end?
Old 08-02-2013 | 08:46 AM

Received 2,551 Likes on 1,690 Posts
I crack the lines at the injectors, so you bleed the lines and the injection pump.
Old 08-02-2013 | 09:03 AM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Originally Posted by DOZENVALVE
Thanks mark, you've been a big help. I just want to clarify that when I am cracking the inlet at the injection pump and watching for good fuel, I am NOT cranking the motor at this point. Just hand pumping at the lift pump, correct? And am I cracking the injector line at the injection pump, or the other end?
Yeah, sorry that I wasn't very clear, I meant at the injector end, as Oliver said...Mark

I just reread my post and I was talking about the banjo bolt inlet, I just loosen it until good fuel is flowing. You do not crank the engine while priming the suction side of the pump, you use the little hand pump on the lift pump...
Old 08-02-2013 | 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by maybe368
Yeah, sorry that I wasn't very clear, I meant at the injector end, as Oliver said...Mark

I just reread my post and I was talking about the banjo bolt inlet, I just loosen it until good fuel is flowing. You do not crank the engine while priming the suction side of the pump, you use the little hand pump on the lift pump...
I'm picking up what you're putting down. Thanks again mark!
Old 08-03-2013 | 08:01 PM

I removed the injection pump today, replaced the bad seal which was BLOWN out under he two screw cover on the back wide of the pump. Then I installed the bd fuel pin and the 3200 rpm spring. All of it fairly simple, no big deal! One bad thing happened though. When removing the low pressure sending line to the injection pump the threads were so badly seized at the injection pump end, that Even with pb blaster I ended up twisting the tube right off. . What are y options for replacement????
Old 08-04-2013 | 08:18 PM

By the way when bleeding injection lines I never crank for more than about 15 seconds, then stop and let the starter cool a bit. Sure don't want to smoke it.

Also when I had to install a starting push button on the dash in my old girl I installed a second one under the hood. Sure makes it a lot easier when I'm servicing engine instead of jumping back and forth from cab to under hood, or needing a helper that I don't have!

These are 50 amp push buttons, very heavy duty, not the cheesy 10 - 15 amp stuff. Wired to starter relay with either 10ga or 12ga wire, can't remember which.
Old 08-04-2013 | 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by JimmieD
By the way when bleeding injection lines I never crank for more than about 15 seconds, then stop and let the starter cool a bit. Sure don't want to smoke it.

Also when I had to install a starting push button on the dash in my old girl I installed a second one under the hood. Sure makes it a lot easier when I'm servicing engine instead of jumping back and forth from cab to under hood, or needing a helper that I don't have!

These are 50 amp push buttons, very heavy duty, not the cheesy 10 - 15 amp stuff. Wired to starter relay with either 10ga or 12ga wire, can't remember which.
Push start under the hood!? That's legit!
Old 08-04-2013 | 09:23 PM

It's really a huge help. For one thing a helper, especially if of the female persuasion, may experience a slight communication breakdown. That's being polite. Fortunately something I don't have to deal with. Probably fortunate for both parties...

Sometimes very difficult to explain exactly what you need them to do when it's 96*, you're in grease & oil up to your armpits, flies are trying to homestead your face, your hemorrhoids are flaring up and you've got injection lines to bleed. Various other little tasks under the hood that it can save a whole bunch of grief.
Old 08-05-2013 | 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by JimmieD
It's really a huge help. For one thing a helper, especially if of the female persuasion, may experience a slight communication breakdown. That's being polite. Fortunately something I don't have to deal with. Probably fortunate for both parties...

Sometimes very difficult to explain exactly what you need them to do when it's 96*, you're in grease & oil up to your armpits, flies are trying to homestead your face, your hemorrhoids are flaring up and you've got injection lines to bleed. Various other little tasks under the hood that it can save a whole bunch of grief.
I'm picking up what you're putting down
Old 09-09-2013 | 03:21 PM

Received 2,551 Likes on 1,690 Posts
That VE re-seal gasket kit from Bosch seems on back order.
Anyone have any leads?

Quick Reply: Major Fuel Leak. What Do You Guys Think I Should Do?