1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Major Fuel Leak. What Do You Guys Think I Should Do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 10:14 PM

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by DOZENVALVE
it has the same number on that seal kit, you sure it isnt bosch? only reason i bought the kit is because alligator, xdp, mkm.... they dont have seal kits that i could find. plus its $11.

and i actually probably wont order from XDP because i dont like their website as much as alligator. lol. i was mainly worried that if i get a new fuel pin and put it in there is it gonna be hard to get it tuned again and running.

i will definately post pics when i get the pump out!
Their website says "aftermarket", so I assume it's outsourced (not) from bosch, otherwise I would have assumed....."an original bosch kit" would have been notated.

Let you know when I get it, but I"m pretty sure it's not bosch. Amazon sells the "bosch" kit, and that's where I ordered the other one from. Curiosity of a $14 difference is what really had me order both.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=all
Old 07-23-2013, 08:09 AM

Received 2,551 Likes on 1,690 Posts
I saw the "aftermarket" listed on it as well.
NJTman let me know what shows up for the two kits.
Saving $14 is cool unless you have to re-seal your pump twice, if the "cheaper" seals are junk...
I am going to need to order one soon as well.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I've got all the parts and tools in the mail now for fixing my pump leak. Including a BD fuel pin, 3200 spring and I bought an exhaust system as well just because.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your in for some fun, going to be a new truck with that pin and spring in there. Do you have any gauges on it yet for exhaust temperature?

What was the shipping cost on the $11 kit? when I typed in my address it added $15 for shipping. I can go 2 miles down the road and get a Bosch kit off the shelf from the local pump rebuild shop for less than $25. Oliver, I got my first gov spring and some odd pump parts when I was in Montgomery Center for the summer, I think the shop that mailed the parts was down by you somewhere. I dont remember where but it was just far enough that I didnt want to drive down and had him mail them instead. I think I found him in the phone book, he rebuilt injection pumps.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:17 PM

Just had enough time to check out my fuel leak.
After taking the throttle support off the block and cleaning things up, it is leaking a few drips from under the pump in the back side, roughly behind the KSB.
The big problem is is if sits for more than a day it needs a full round of air bleeding the injector lines as is sucks air when it is not running.
Looks like the black crew cab is going down for a VE pump pull and re seal.
I will order a 3200 spring as well.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:20 PM

Taterfarm
I can think of a diesel shop in Burlington that rebuild pumps...
Worth a call for the Bosch re-seal kit and spring- Thanks
Old 07-23-2013, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
NJTman let me know what shows up for the two kits.

I am going to need to order one soon as well.

When I get both kits in front of me, I'll take a few snapshots and inspect what each kit has... or doesn't.

Both kits should be fine, but again that's just an assumption.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by taterfarm
your in for some fun, going to be a new truck with that pin and spring in there. Do you have any gauges on it yet for exhaust temperature?

What was the shipping cost on the $11 kit? when I typed in my address it added $15 for shipping. I can go 2 miles down the road and get a Bosch kit off the shelf from the local pump rebuild shop for less than $25. Oliver, I got my first gov spring and some odd pump parts when I was in Montgomery Center for the summer, I think the shop that mailed the parts was down by you somewhere. I dont remember where but it was just far enough that I didnt want to drive down and had him mail them instead. I think I found him in the phone book, he rebuilt injection pumps.
I don't have any gauges yet but I figure the 4" exhaust kit i purchased should keep temps down. And I don't remember seeing how much shipping was but the uh from that highwayandheavy parts website called me today. Left a voicemail saying he wanted to ask me some questions about my order. It's a very simple order. I called back no answer. If its going to be difficult I'm gonna just find a place to pick up a Bosch kit. Not really sure where to get one off the shelf. Regular auto parts stores don't have them. And I don't really have any diesel only shops super close.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by DOZENVALVE
...uh from that highwayandheavy parts website called me today. Left a voicemail saying he wanted to ask me some questions about my order. It's a very simple order. I called back no answer.
Although their inventory said 7, they have ZERO of the kits. Not available until late Sept.

I cancelled my order, and requested a credit.

Rob is the guy you will speak to. Unfortunately, I'll never make another purchase from a company that was such a PITA to deal with

Sorry for the "mis-lead"
Old 07-24-2013, 12:49 PM

regular auto stores are typically not much help for cummins components and the dealers want a fortune most of the time. When it comes to engine parts I go to the big rig truck sales or service places, while they can order about any cummins related parts, they cant look up a dodge truck so you need to know the part numbers. cummins quick serve is a free online site that you can sign up for, it has parts diagrams with numbers and details all based on your engine serial number. you can print out a list of parts and might even be able to order them through a local dealer on there too. This same engine went into several tractor models too so a case/newholland/aggco dealer should be able to get most of this as well, some find the agg dealers cheaper.

If your taking your pump off then it might be good to get onto the quick serve site and look at the exploded view of each system that needs to be removed, then you can to find any seals or replacement items that you may want to pick up before you start. the site shows almost every nut bolt and washer in the engine and usually lists the thread size too.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Although their inventory said 7, they have ZERO of the kits. Not available until late Sept.

I cancelled my order, and requested a credit.

Rob is the guy you will speak to. Unfortunately, I'll never make another purchase from a company that was such a PITA to deal with

Sorry for the "mis-lead"
It's alright dawg. I just cancelled my order today too!!! Haha. But luckily I also just did some calling around and was able to find a diesel shop between work and home that regularly stocks the Bosch reseal kit for my VE. I can't make it today but I'm going to swing in tomorrow and pick one up!
Old 07-24-2013, 01:50 PM

regular auto stores are typically not much help for cummins components and the dealers want a fortune most of the time. When it comes to engine parts I go to the big rig truck sales or service places, while they can order about any cummins related parts, they cant look up a dodge truck so you need to know the part numbers. cummins quick serve is a free online site that you can sign up for, it has parts diagrams with numbers and details all based on your engine serial number. you can print out a list of parts and might even be able to order them through a local dealer on there too. This same engine went into several tractor models too so a case/newholland/aggco dealer should be able to get most of this as well, some find the agg dealers cheaper.

If your taking your pump off then it might be good to get onto the quick serve site and look at the exploded view of each system that needs to be removed, then you can to find any seals or replacement items that you may want to pick up before you start. the site shows almost every nut bolt and washer in the engine and usually lists the thread size too.
Nice! I'll check it out. Thanks
Old 07-25-2013, 10:54 AM

Oliver, it was Burlington diesel fuel pump service in Williston. For some reason I was thinking it was closer to the center of the state but I just found the receipt from when I bought the seals and spring. $26.78 for the seal kit, $15.38 for the spring and $8.49 shipping, that was from 2007.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:40 PM

Oliver, it was Burlington diesel fuel pump service in Williston. For some reason I was thinking it was closer to the center of the state but I just found the receipt from when I bought the seals and spring. $26.78 for the seal kit, $15.38 for the spring and $8.49 shipping, that was from 2007.
Thanks.
That was the only "local" pump shop I could think off.
They are just over an hour away.
I may just take a little ride over with my daughter one day and check out there set up and pick up some parts.
It would be a good excuse to get the pop top Ramcharger I am tinkering on, out on the highway.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:58 PM

hey guys, do i HAVE to turn the truck to TDC before removing the injection pump? i will be changing the pin and spring when i have it out asw well as fixing the leaky spot. i noticed in the chrysler videos they do not turn the truck to TDC...

thanks

sean

Quick Reply: Major Fuel Leak. What Do You Guys Think I Should Do?