1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Major Fuel Leak. What Do You Guys Think I Should Do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 10:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it leaking around the fuel pin or where the throttle rotates? I would go get a Bosch reseal kit and 3200 spring and take the top off the pump and replace all the orings you can with the top off. Don't think there are much other common places to leak on the back of the pump, what is there one cover back there? Look inside the afc housing too, see if there is fuel in there ,that oring is a little harder to get to but not too bad. I wouldn't take the pump off yet unless your certain it needs to come off. The seal kit and spring are cheap so don't let that pump guy try to rip you off.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:37 PM

A long ball point Allen wrench works well to get the inside bolt out to remove the top of the pump. Just read the directions on how to do the 3200 spring that's in the sticky and you should be all set.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by taterfarm
A long ball point Allen wrench works well to get the inside bolt out to remove the top of the pump. Just read the directions on how to do the 3200 spring that's in the sticky and you should be all set.
thanks tater. best place to get a Bosch reseal kit and a 3200 spring?
Old 07-22-2013, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by taterfarm
Is it leaking around the fuel pin or where the throttle rotates? I would go get a Bosch reseal kit and 3200 spring and take the top off the pump and replace all the orings you can with the top off. Don't think there are much other common places to leak on the back of the pump, what is there one cover back there? Look inside the afc housing too, see if there is fuel in there ,that oring is a little harder to get to but not too bad. I wouldn't take the pump off yet unless your certain it needs to come off. The seal kit and spring are cheap so don't let that pump guy try to rip you off.
and as far as where itis leaking, i see no sign of fuel rolling off the top where the throttle rotates and then down the back. all i can see when the truck is fired up is fuel pouring off the engine side underneath the pump. is there any possible way the injection pump housing could have become cracked?
Old 07-22-2013, 05:04 AM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
There is an o-ring beneath a 2-bolt cover on the back side of the pump that is a frequent cause of leaks. It is on the opposite side of the KSB. Pump removal is necessary.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:47 AM

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by dodgenstein
There is an o-ring beneath a 2-bolt cover on the back side of the pump that is a frequent cause of leaks. It is on the opposite side of the KSB. Pump removal is necessary.
That's my guess as well. I've had that one go on me, pours out like a garden hose but truck still ran fine
Old 07-22-2013, 09:48 AM

whoops... didnt think that was a common area to leak, I've had just about every other seal leak at some point with my collection of trucks, my luck seems to find all the one in a million chances of failure.

The seal kit should be under $25 and the gov spring is around $18, both should be in stock at a decent diesel shop that works on injection pumps.

on the bright side this is a good chance to get to know how your pump works and after resealing you should prevent future leaks from popping up.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:45 AM

This sounds more like what I may have going on. The KSB?
Old 07-22-2013, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by gyman98
That's my guess as well. I've had that one go on me, pours out like a garden hose but truck still ran fine
These are the exact symptoms I had. It was dumping out like crazy by running just fine. Last two times I fired it to look for leaks it started to run a little bit rough but still not as bad as you would think for losing that much fuel.

Are there any other mods you guys would suggest with the pump out and the timing cover off???
Old 07-22-2013, 11:02 AM

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Remove clean and loctite all the case bolts, new front seal, possibly water pump, check idler and tensioner pulley bearings and replace every seal you can on the IP
Old 07-22-2013, 11:04 AM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by DOZENVALVE
best place to get a Bosch reseal kit and a 3200 spring?

Try this website for finding a Bosch diesel place near you:
http://www.boschcarservice.us/Pages/ForYourVehicle.aspx

The Bosch part numbers are:
3200rpm spring: 1-464-650-366
Seal kit: DGK121

Good luck,
Old 07-22-2013, 01:28 PM

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Never saw this company before, but they sell the kit for next to NOTHING>

http://www.highwayandheavyparts.com/dgk121-451321
Old 07-22-2013, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by james1
Forgive me for stating the obvious. The VE pump was manufactured by Bosch. Any Bosch diesel service center can order the reseal kit and the 3200 rpm spring.

Try this website for finding a Bosch diesel place near you:
http://www.boschcarservice.us/Pages/ForYourVehicle.aspx

The Bosch part numbers are:
3200rpm spring: 1-464-650-366
Seal kit: DGK121

Good luck,
Originally Posted by NJTman
Never saw this company before, but they sell the kit for next to NOTHING>

http://www.highwayandheavyparts.com/dgk121-451321

i just ordered that seal kit from highway and heavy, you cant beat $11! and as far as the spring goes, what do you guys think about this combo:

http://www.xtremediesel.com/bd-power...ng1040178.aspx

would this be a good move for me with the pump out?

and any other ideas while ive got the truck broke down? supporting mods or whatnot.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:39 PM

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by DOZENVALVE
i just ordered that seal kit from highway and heavy, you cant beat $11! and as far as the spring goes, what do you guys think about this combo:

http://www.xtremediesel.com/bd-power...ng1040178.aspx

would this be a good move for me with the pump out?

and any other ideas while ive got the truck broke down? supporting mods or whatnot.
I ordered the kit as well. I also ordered a "BOSCH" made kit. I'm curious to see what the difference is with the aftermarket version vs the Bosch version... and when I get both side by side, I'll know

I put the 3200 spring in mine and I love it. Best / cheapest mod I made.

I also turned my pin 90* clockwise and it seems to have made the truck have more power. Since I never bought an aftermarket pin, I cannot compare the two. I'm sure other's have and hopefully they'll chime in. XDP is not far from me, but when I actually went in there, I was not impressed with their customer service, as they completely ignored me for over 20 minutes. I left, purchasing nothing. Hopefully their internet service is better.

Have fun re-sealing your pump. Post a few pix up, if you may...
Old 07-22-2013, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman
I ordered the kit as well. I also ordered a "BOSCH" made kit. I'm curious to see what the difference is with the aftermarket version vs the Bosch version... and when I get both side by side, I'll know

I put the 3200 spring in mine and I love it. Best / cheapest mod I made.

I also turned my pin 90* clockwise and it seems to have made the truck have more power. Since I never bought an aftermarket pin, I cannot compare the two. I'm sure other's have and hopefully they'll chime in. XDP is not far from me, but when I actually went in there, I was not impressed with their customer service, as they completely ignored me for over 20 minutes. I left, purchasing nothing. Hopefully their internet service is better.

Have fun re-sealing your pump. Post a few pix up, if you may...
it has the same number on that seal kit, you sure it isnt bosch? only reason i bought the kit is because alligator, xdp, mkm.... they dont have seal kits that i could find. plus its $11.

and i actually probably wont order from XDP because i dont like their website as much as alligator. lol. i was mainly worried that if i get a new fuel pin and put it in there is it gonna be hard to get it tuned again and running.

i will definately post pics when i get the pump out!

Quick Reply: Major Fuel Leak. What Do You Guys Think I Should Do?