1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

>>> luberfiner oil filters ??? <<<

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 10:59 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Question >>> luberfiner oil filters ??? <<<

Okay, I am a long-time FLEETGUARD FIRST, then Baldwin, then WIX, filter user.

However, in a package-deal of numerous items, I have acquired a number of LuberFiner LFP780XL oil-filters that do FIT these engines.

Quality-wise, how do these filters compare ??

Seeing as the price is right, should I use them or no ??

I have no experience with the LuberFiner brand.

Thanks.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have always heard they were a good product.

I did some research, and found this. This guy has been in the filter/filter media production business for a LONG time.

"Well...

Luber-finer filters have a national account program with Freighliner and Petro Truck stops.

They build filters for Detroit Diesel and Caterpillar to name but two truck engine OEM's they do business with. They also build John Deere, Mercury Marine, Kubota, and a few other non-car engine filters amongst others.

Yes, they are made by Champ, and as such they are cheap junk to some opinionated people.

It was the Luber-finer heavy duty brand which got Donaldson into the truck engine filter business. Luber-finer made 95% of Donaldsons oil, fuel, and coolant filters. Donaldson has always made their own air filters and is the leader in OEM engine business for trucks.

So if another filter manufacturer can test Luber-finer and find them sufficient for Luber-finer to private label Donaldson ( which they do to this day), of course they're cheap junk. < Donaldson since then has added capacity to build some of the more popular truck engine filters. Some of that capacity is from Mexico >

At one point in time Luber-finer made the most popular filter for Fleetguard, who is owned by Cummins engine. Fleetguard had tooling production problems and asked Luber-finer to get them out of a jam until they could sort out their own problems. So Luber-finer built truckload after truckload of the top Fleetguard part number for Cummins engines. Ask yourself why Fleetguard/Cummins would go to Luber-finer to build their filter for them. ( It was because there wasn't much different between the two performance wise, and still isn't)

Luberfiner also work with Mobil Oil on their Delvac program where Mobil will warranty truck engines for 70,000 miles between oil changes if they use Delvac 1 oil, use oil anaylsis, and get a minimum fuel mileage #. Mobil is running some tests, and may have by now upped it, to 100,000 miles. Luber-finer builds the Delvac filter for Mobil ( which is also offered in the Luberfiner line as their XL filter-- Xtra Life)

OCI's for the truck engines vary from 12,500 to 15,000 miles.

Just the facts..."
Old 04-02-2011, 10:23 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Thank you, mister bowhunter guy; I will now use these filters with confidence.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you'll find that most oil changes are recommended at about 30,000 now. 15,000 miles is as little as every 5-6 weeks for a busy driver, and three weeks for a team.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:58 PM

On a business trip, I happen on a representative for Fram and in our talk, he said when, let's call them 'Company A' goes to a manufacturing company, they, 'Company A', set the standards for the product made.

The manufactures can do one of two things:
a) build per contract specifications
b) 'Customer A' agrees to whatever the manufacture wants to build under the customers name, and 'Customer A' takes responsibility.

Usually 'Customer A' sets the standards since they can be held responsible.

So if you buy Luber finder, they go by their standards since they have their name on the product.

After reading ARbowhunter7's notes, sounds like they might be a good company.

I'm not familiar with the name, but will look into them now.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by BearKiller
Thank you, mister bowhunter guy; I will now use these filters with confidence.
As inexpensive filters are, and how infrequent they are changed, I wouldn't use anything other than the best. Luberfiner is the el cheapo filter sold at many truck stops and many small shops trying to say a few bucks on the filters they install on customer's rigs. I'd sell them and not use them.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:42 PM

like I said I did not hear anything about the company but did look into their site and emailed them asking what their filters would filter out in micron size.

Per their company representative, their filters for my Dodge:
L9800F fuel filter is rated for 5 micron.
LFP780 oil filter is rated for 25 microns.

Sort of like many other standard filter ratings on the market that I noticed. I just haven't seen the prices on them yet.

The NAPA store locally for me has a sale on all their filters @ 1/2 price each 1st and 3rd fridays each month. (I guess a draw in the customers type sale). And their high efficient xp fuel filters are $11.00 and the high efficient xp oil filters are $12.00 each.