1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

lowered 1st gen?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lowered 1st gen?

alright, i realize that most of you guys are into the 4x4 mudd-boggin' thing or just lifted big trucks in general, but i was hoping that you guys might be able to help me out. i have a 91 dodge d250 and i'm hoping to find some info about lowering the truck. since it's only a 2wd i really don't see a purpose to it being way up in the air. but i really don't want to decrease my load capacity. any and all options are entertained, though an airbag system is likely not in the budget, lol...i'm more or less looking for things like drop spindles or something of the like.

i'm in need of some new ball-joints up front(actually, i think one of the a-arms may be messed up if anyone can point me in that direction) and was thinking while i was in there i could go ahead and put in a new set of springs (cause mine sag on one side badly) and see if i couldn't do something to get this thing from being up in the air so high. the only thing i really do with this is haul my race-car, which is about 3000lbs on an open trailer. otherwise, i daily drive it and OCCASIONALLY run a load to scrap.

any suggestions or solutions?
Old 09-15-2008, 11:38 PM

early 90's 1/2 ton chevy lowering shackles will get you just over 1" in the rear for cheap.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:03 PM

but what about the front?
Old 09-16-2008, 01:23 PM

i was told that u can buy lowering stuff for these trucks but i have never looked . if i was to lower i would save up and buy air ride so much nicer , and ride so nice ,,, but thats my 2 cents
Old 09-16-2008, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by winkdemon
i was told that u can buy lowering stuff for these trucks but i have never looked . if i was to lower i would save up and buy air ride so much nicer , and ride so nice ,,, but thats my 2 cents
what about cutting coils on the front and putting rear springs under the axle?
Old 09-16-2008, 04:02 PM

Name:  n866205155_755811_28171.jpg
Views: 8075
Size:  45.5 KB
hows this
Old 09-16-2008, 04:52 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
There's really nothing off the shelf. An axle flip will get the back end down, but there's no good way to drop the front more than an inch or so without losing too much of the suspension travel for a decent ride.

I do like a long, low dually, I think it's a cool look.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:09 PM

Just leave the factory springs out front for long enough and theyll settle to a nice 2-3" drop lol. My brothers old 93 that still runs around here is dang near rubbing tires, as mine was before I put HD springs in.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:56 PM

hehe, that dually is a little too low, but i too love the low-long dually look...i'm hoping to do with my SRW though...an axle flip would be good for what...4" or so? then we still gotta tackle the front....so i ask again...do ya'll see anything wrong with cutting a coil off the springs? this is how i've lowered all my f-bodies and have had absolutely no ill effects...

i don't think the front will have to come down too much further than it is, the rear is so much taller than the front...i just want to level it out and have a nice 2" drop...just to make it easier to get in and out of and so the front of the trailer isn't way up in the air...(i realize they make adjustable hitches...but this will look cooler).

can anyone point me in the direction of a good used set of a-arms? i believe one, if not both of mine have some issues.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:27 PM

Cutting a coil out will have no ill effects. At least it didn't on mine. I love the look. Nothing extreme, but noticeable. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...m/DSCN0194.JPG
Old 09-16-2008, 07:34 PM

id say just flip like wanna said front end already is low u flip rear and it will be nice and still haul load plus u wont hav to worrie bout being to low and least it will be driveable not like the pic i put up
Old 09-16-2008, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by SkinnyBTN
Cutting a coil out will have no ill effects. At least it didn't on mine. I love the look. Nothing extreme, but noticeable. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...m/DSCN0194.JPG
that's EXACTLY what i'm going for!!!! down to the color and wheel selection...if you have black interior then you'd have the exact truck i have in my head! are you running spacers for your wheels? is that with an axle flip or shackles out back? how many coils did you cut and did you start with new front springs or use your factory springs? how's the ride?
Old 09-16-2008, 10:16 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bullfrog5.9

hows this
A little bit of rubber airdam below the bumper and you'll have an excellant "road squeegee"!
Old 09-16-2008, 10:35 PM

It's a very dark blue and black interior w/ black leather seat and black carpet. I'll try to get a pic up for ya. I cut 1 coil. IIRC 1 coil is like 1.5in up the spring with no load (out of the truck). It will drop the front like 3". The back can be flipped or new shackles made. If you go with shackles to get the rear to sit level w/ the lowered front requires cutting out a small section of the runners under the bed. I made shackles for a temp. job. I wanted to wait and see how it sat and what I wanted to do with it as far as bags and what not. I've got most of what I need to do the flip and bag it. I have hauled w/ the extended shackles and it hauled fine. Not much weight, chevy 1500. As far as the ride quality goes it has been fine. It is possible to bottom it out, but only on severe pot holes. I've never felt like man I shouldn't have done this. I've been quite pleased with it. I get more compliments and purchase offers since I lowered it. If ya want more details feel free to ask.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:59 AM

i think i need to see pics of your shackles, and can you measure from the ground to the top of the arc of the fender lip? also, what about the wheels? bolt on or did you need spacers?

Quick Reply: lowered 1st gen?