1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Low dollar clutch option?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 02:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Low dollar clutch option?

While doing clutch research I happend to check rock auto site.

They have a BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0616220 which is on a wholesaler closeout for $292 this only gets you a you a 30 day warranty, the only have (3) but if someone was in need might be a cheap alternative to a full Sachs. It says lower torque versionbut I don't see how that could be compared to a 12"

After looking at the pictures, this unit it has a cast pressure plate and is 13"

Clutch Set, 330mm Diameter;13" Diameter;10 Splines;Low Torque Version;1 Per Car
Old 12-31-2007, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anything that says "low Torque version" is not fit to go behind the mighty cummins.
I don't see why the High torque version has a lower retail price than the closeout price of the low torque version?
Old 12-31-2007, 10:32 PM

The question I have to ask is why they consider the 13" the low torque version? If I had to guess I would say its the same marketing crap that makes the 12" an upgrade replacement for our sachs?
Old 01-01-2008, 12:21 AM

I had my Sachs rebuilt with stouter springs and a more aggressive clutch surface, Ive got some good power and still cant slip it.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:15 PM

So I had been watch these closeouts slowly sell so I finally had to call BECK/ARNLEY tech support. The tech told me that these are sachs made clutch's which they import from germany and private label. The only reason they say high torque / low torque is the old 12" "upgrade" situation that all the parts stores sell. Since I had bad 5th gear slipping, and bad vibrations I ordered one of these from rock auto for $294+shipping. I checked with a few other vendors & amazon, and the normal selling price was about $600 The interesting part was the weight, this clutch and cover weighs 56 lbs, the upgrade version 26 lbs. Beck / Arnley Part #0616220, I will post some pictures when it arrives. It has organic facings.

I have also ordered a 205 rebuild kit, rear main seal, new trans mounts, pto cover filter's, and heavy duty pilot bearing.

I still have to get a Getrag rebuild kit, and some fast coolers.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:15 PM

I got my stock sachs clutch for 430 and change. For the hundered buck difference i would go with the known.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:18 PM

Come to think of it there was something that I just put on the truck that was beck and arnley when I did the clutch 2 weeks ago but I can't remember what it was.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:24 PM

Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts
Just weld the clutch to the flywheel and start it in gear! That's real low buck!
Seriously, I like the idea of getting the Sachs rebuilt with heavier springs and a more agressive friction surface. I might have to do that with my poor clutch...
Old 04-08-2008, 11:29 PM
alwaysonDTR

Originally Posted by mhuppertz
Just weld the clutch to the flywheel and start it in gear! That's real low buck!
Seriously, I like the idea of getting the Sachs rebuilt with heavier springs and a more agressive friction surface. I might have to do that with my poor clutch...
only works if its still re-buildable.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:34 PM

Okay so I recieved my Beck & Arnley $295 clutch and its going back.

Its basiaclly a reboxed Valeo clutch, clutch disk has valeo printed right on it along with hencho in mexico. The cover is cast, but made in china. The clutch disk was damaged from lack of padding in the box. The center section doesn't look like anything I would put behind a stought small block let alone a diesel.

So I will loose a little coin on shipping but it was worth a try.

I have made a contact with clutch refacing outfit in Lansing, MI who does tractors and pullers hopefully there is enough of the sachs left to rebuild!
Old 04-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Banned

i put a luke gold in my truck because i kept smokin the clutch every diesel guy that i talk to says that there a good clutch and they are inexpensive havent sliped this clutch yet
Old 04-12-2008, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by stackx2
i put a luke gold in my truck because i kept smokin the clutch every diesel guy that i talk to says that there a good clutch and they are inexpensive havent sliped this clutch yet
I burnt my Luk Gold doing "no lift" shifts. It took about 5 full boost speed shifts before it wouldn't clamp that down any more... I have taken it easy on it since then (about 3 years ago) and it's holding for the most part. It will still slip on an up hill on ramp at full boost if I had warmed the clutch up too much in the first two gears...
I hated the clutch at first for letting go, but have come to respect it for hanging in there so long with an abusive owner .
Old 04-12-2008, 12:26 PM

I can't afford a South Bend Feramic, so I am trying to find a way to approximate the holding power for half the jack. It's possible that I am chasing a leprechaun, and will just have to keep waiting until I can afford it (when my son graduated college in four years!). Hey, if grease causes brakes to grab, maybe my rear main leak is keeping my clutch sticky after all this time! It's possible, right?
Old 04-12-2008, 11:28 PM

I guess the beck and arnley would be fine for a stocker, I didn't realize that a real sachs had that little spring cage tach welded to it. That cage looks so weak and cheap. The clutch facing is made by valeo which is a good company I have found.

I will let you know what I am going to do once my sach is out. I am also considering swapping to NV4500HD from a V10 dodge. Not sure either way I putting a fresh trans in with a fresh clutch and transfer case.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by kiszka6911
I guess the beck and arnley would be fine for a stocker, I didn't realize that a real sachs had that little spring cage tach welded to it. That cage looks so weak and cheap. The clutch facing is made by valeo which is a good company I have found.

I will let you know what I am going to do once my sach is out. I am also considering swapping to NV4500HD from a V10 dodge. Not sure either way I putting a fresh trans in with a fresh clutch and transfer case.
I mentioned Valeo clutches on this site and I got whacked for promoting a dangerous product. Maybe somebody just doesn't like me!!!!

Quick Reply: Low dollar clutch option?