1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

low beams out, high beams work

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 12:05 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by nfc90
Checked my fuses, they were fine. I was going to check the bulbs this morning when I turned on the light switch. Low and behold, my low beams worked. I'm guessing it's a short in the wiring, but for now, I'll let it be until the lights go out permanently.
I've found that, as mentioned, the most common cause of these intermittent headlight failures is the dimmer (multifunction) switch. If you turn on the headlights and cycle the dimmer switch several times rapidly, you should be able to get it to act up a couple times and prove itself to be the problem.

While you are doing that, cycle the tilt steering up and down, in case you have a broken wire in the column, or a loose pin in the multifunction switch connector.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
avoided driving at night to figure out the problem. It was the dimmer switch. Thanks guys.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:32 PM

When I first got my truck, one of my high beams was out but the other worked. The problem was that the wire that goes to high beam on the light connector was broken away. Simply spliced it back in and it's still working 5 months later.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:35 PM

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
My Silver Stars burn out like clockwork every 6 to 9 months.
So why don't you do something different?
Old 10-27-2012, 05:36 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck
So why don't you do something different?
If you are referring to why am I still using Silver Stars?

Because I have checked and tried almost every H6054 lamp I could find and they are about the brightest legal headlamp on the market.

I was getting only about 6 months of life from them until I built a regulator to keep the drive voltage around 13 volts and picked up an additional 3 months without sacrificing a drastic decrease of total output in lumen's.

Most people would get better life from their lamps than I do because my relayed headlamps deliver full battery voltage 13+ volts AT the headlamp.

For the dramatic increase in output over regular halogen headlamps replacing the headlamps every 9 months is an acceptable trade off for me although I sure do complain when I have to replace them.

I am always on the lookout for a better brighter lamp but as of yet I have not found one, I want to try a pair of the Trucklite 5x7 composites with a pair of Silver Star Ultras but I first need to check to see if I like the cutoff pattern they produce. (notice the filament cap to prevent glare from the front of the lamp)

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs...2507&langId=-1

Maybe in a few years I will see if I can get my hands on a pair of LED's maybe I can get someone to sponsor my truck if I put their name on the back of it.

My first choice,

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs...Name=/home.jsp

http://www.truck-lite.com/wcsstore/t.../27450C_NP.pdf

These would be my second choice.

http://www.jwspeaker.com/other/led-headlamps

BTW incase you were wondering, the Trucklite LED's can be yours for around $225.00 each.

Also E-Codes are not leagal in the US, the optics are made for people who drive on the wrong side of the street.

Jim
Old 11-01-2012, 04:42 PM

Received 368 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by nfc90
Low beams went out on each side. Guessing it's a fuse but not sure. 1992 W250. Anyone experience this?
Yes - it was the lovely 'Lucas' column combo switch that was giving me issues. Being a cheapskate, I put a highbeam switch on the floor and extended the wires down to it.

Now my delay wipers are acting up.... might have to replace this Lucas thing anyway.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by torquefan
I've found that, as mentioned, the most common cause of these intermittent headlight failures is the dimmer (multifunction) switch. If you turn on the headlights and cycle the dimmer switch several times rapidly, you should be able to get it to act up a couple times and prove itself to be the problem.

While you are doing that, cycle the tilt steering up and down, in case you have a broken wire in the column, or a loose pin in the multifunction switch connector.

Used your suggestion to cycle the tilt steering up and down and it worked. Low beams came on and the light around the ignition went out. THANK YOU!

Any suggestions on my next step? Testing and how to fix?