1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Love the motor, how about the rest???

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 07:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I like my Dodge, but am a Chevy guy at heart. Someday would like to restore my 72 with Cummins power. For now the 454 and rust does good, but 4 MPG stinks.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:39 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ace
I haven't seen all the engineering and electrical defects that always seem to get mentioned along these lines.
X2 here, I`ve only owned 2 1st gens and neither had/have rust OR wiring problems....those DARNED headliners tho .
Old 11-12-2007, 09:56 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can see where some of it comes from like the headlight switch, for example. But I don't believe any of the big three was using very high quality electrical stuff in the early nineties. I had really nice 91 S15 a few years ago that had so many electrical problems I literally gave it away just to get rid of it because I was tired of chasing electrical gremlins all the time.

Some of those type things are an easy fix. Certainly there's some other things that could have been better too. But they're not just the overall junk wrapped around a Cummins like some make them out to be.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:04 PM

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisLib
X2 here, I`ve only owned 2 1st gens and neither had/have rust OR wiring problems....those DARNED headliners tho .

Same here and I have owned (4) 1st gen cummins powered trucks over the past 15 years, all with around 200k on the ticker. IMHO - I think Chevys and Fords are overated. Around here I see a alot of similar vintage Fords with the frame tweaked out of place. I would much rather deal with the door hinge issue then a tweaked frame anyday.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do think the 1st gen bodies are pretty much POS's. But from what I have seen, they aren't much different than the 2nd gen's. I haven't witnessed any other modern vehicle as loose and rattly as a 1st gen. The frames seem to be a bit beefier (except for the steering box area) than the others of it's age. The suspension leaves a lot to be desired, but the driveline is second to none in my opinion, (that is, if you have a five speed and have replaced it with a NV lol).

On the other hand, they do have their character. That is why I own one. They can look pretty nice. And of course there's the fact that nobody can believe that your 1990 truck is that new. That is always fun.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:36 PM

I have only owned Dodges, (many) and ran a business employing them with great success. They have been around me since I was born in many aspects and were always a tough truck. They provided hard service for many government agencies and i have seen them with 14,000 lbs gvw making their way thru the woods fighting brushfires, going places a low riding chevy wished it could clear. Times changed and now where I work and the state forestry service have gone to Ford and I don't see any major advantages over the old Dodges (Or the new ones) its just business to them. Every brand has their quirks and its unfair to say one is better, these are our own perceptions and cases of luck or lack thereof. Every brand has improved ride, acceleration and durability and general user friendly issues and they all suffer in their own ways. I don't see how twin I beam front axles would bear the load of a cummins( considering they don't bear the weight of their gas engines).Dodge suffered some serious front end issues w/ the 94 and up coil sprung models. i'd take a harsher ride any day over all that constant front end work. From my experience with using other trucks, I think the first gen/ cummins is the best route. If that engiine were in any brand it would be a better truck, but it would still have naysayers and complaints.Its just the nature of people. The rust I can deal with, its expensive parts not being up to the task that can bankrupt you. Dodge put some great equipment together in a package that was and is affordable, reliable and simple to maintain.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aside from roof rust issues that rot from the inside out, cowl cracks & vent leaks that sneak water under your carpet or mat that also let your floor rust through from the inside to the outside, and a fuel tank location that causes the bottom of the frame channel to accumulate dirt and again rust away from the inside out, I think they are pretty good trucks!
Old 11-12-2007, 06:02 PM

The 1st generation Dodges are my favorite body style because they are simple and reliable. My 92 has 438,000 miles with no problems of any kind, and I would drive it over any other truck hands down.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:17 PM

Tough question!! I love the 4X4 system in my 1st gen (hate it in the 2nd gen!). Its possibly the best system ever put in a fullsize pickup. The sheetmetal is kind of weak and I don't know about the look of a 1st gen, but neither of these things are much of an issue for me. I like the look of the 2nd gen and I think that the body construction is an improvement. I love the tight and relatively rattle free interiors of both my rides, as my old F-150 squeaked, rattled and banged everywhere it went. I hate the paint on both of my pickups, but paint was an issue for all auto mfgrs within that time period.

Although I like my Dodges, I would not mind having a Chevy with a Cummins in it, probably a Crew cab 4X4 3/4 or 1 ton, anything between a 1973 and 2000 model year. Besides the doors, GM pickups seem like pretty solid machines to me, and I have had quite a bit of experience with them (luckily not with the 6.2-6.5 diesel!!!jk). There might be a project in the future. If I needed a pickup with a gas engine, GM wins hands down! The D-max is a great engine, but I think that I would still get a Dodge if I could afford anything late-model.

I would consider a Cummins swap into a 92-97 F-350 or 73-79 F250 or 350, but most Fords just don't impress me much in any way. "Built Ford Tough" is false advertising!
Old 11-13-2007, 02:26 PM

The truck is crude but it grows on you. A good feature is that mopar did not have a lot of money to change it and parts fit over many many years. The frame upgrade of 91.5 was needed. They all rust. Hate the steering coupler but compared to the twin I-beam on ford it is a minor annoyance.

People with steep driveways and standards would appreciate better park brakes. Like one which does not freeze. Have a look at a volvo some time to see what a real brake cable setup looks like. Oh, yeah..... every old dodge I have ever driven lets the fuse box fall out on top of the brake pedal. Electrics..... Dodge invented the bad connector, wandering guages etc.

Would I trade for something else....... NO!
Old 11-13-2007, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg
Same here and I have owned (4) 1st gen cummins powered trucks over the past 15 years, all with around 200k on the ticker. IMHO - I think Chevys and Fords are overated. Around here I see a alot of similar vintage Fords with the frame tweaked out of place. I would much rather deal with the door hinge issue then a tweaked frame anyday.
actually the chevy's had the weakest frames, fords were pretty good actually and dodges had the strongest frames.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by KartRacer
I do think the 1st gen bodies are pretty much POS's. But from what I have seen, they aren't much different than the 2nd gen's. I haven't witnessed any other modern vehicle as loose and rattly as a 1st gen. The frames seem to be a bit beefier (except for the steering box area) than the others of it's age. The suspension leaves a lot to be desired, but the driveline is second to none in my opinion, (that is, if you have a five speed and have replaced it with a NV lol).

On the other hand, they do have their character. That is why I own one. They can look pretty nice. And of course there's the fact that nobody can believe that your 1990 truck is that new. That is always fun.
you got that right, i can't count the number of people that have complimented my truck,"that's a nice powerwagon!! is that about a 1975 model year" no man it's a 91 although not much changed from 1975. ha-ha
Old 11-13-2007, 05:48 PM

I will never trade my first gen for anything! Love the truck and love the motor, and it is a disgrace to separate the motor from the truck They are a pair
Old 11-13-2007, 07:24 PM

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
I forgot the best part ---------the ram that sticks out of my HOOD, you really don't need your middle finger, you have the RAM pokin out there flickin all the ferd and chebys off.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:19 PM

Love the power but -

If I had my druthers, I think I'd put the CTD in a mid 80's chevy 4X4 burb. Kinda like putting a tiger in your tank and having room for the whole hood to boot! Go anywhere drag most anything and not have to get out or crawl thru a window to stretch out.
I know - not the best "truck" but still cheap and easy to work on.