1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Lots of smoke at cold start, would like it to go away

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 07:39 PM

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
Looking a whole lot better...but do that compression check!

Out of curiosity, how does the old pump"s diaphragm look?

Did you test the pressure before you took it out?
Old 11-10-2015, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ofelas
Looking a whole lot better...but do that compression check!

Out of curiosity, how does the old pump"s diaphragm look?

Did you test the pressure before you took it out?
The compression check may happen soon than I thought; with the recent rains, the oil leak that my truck had that I always considered minimal is now spread about my driveway which slopes into the culdesac. In fear of my hippie neighbors reporting me to the EPA, I regretfully took my truck to a shop yesterday for repairs. The 60hr work weeks don't leave me much time to replace an oil pan gasket (which is what I think it is), but they do provide the funds. Regardless of where the leak is coming from, they may choose to do a compression test. When they call me today about it with a quote I can also request them to check compression for me. I don't hage the right tools for a compression check anyhow, and have not done one on a diesel. Although I'm sure it is similar to that of a gas engine.

As far as the old lift pump, I kind of wish I would have checked pressure prior just to conpare. I peeled apart the old lever lift pump and inspected the diaphragm. I seemed slightly dry and on the underside when I folded it back there was a little stress cracking, but nothing that seemed to go all the way through. Although I am sure it's possible to have a microscopic leak. I didn't notice signs of oil either, just diesel.

Ignore the 3 slits. It's how I took it apart.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:35 AM

Oh and one more thing; I found a boost leak which explains why my gauge read low after swapping injectors. When I took things apart to install the injectors, I inadvertently cracked my 1/8" nylon boost tie that goes to the gauge in the cab. It cracked right at the brass compression fitting where it enters my pusher intake tube. I knew this would happen some day. Auto meter provides a brass compression fitting for you to install their gauge boost tube into your intake, but it uses a brass ferrule/compression fitting. When in reality one should really be using a delrin/plastic ferrule since it is going on a plastic tube. Can't find any plastic ferrules so I ordered another 1/8" brass one. For now the intake mani is plugged and the boost gauge reads zero . Which doesn't matter because the truck is now in the shop ha!
Old 11-10-2015, 11:15 AM

Or just use an Isspro boost gauge which uses an electronic sender in the intake to convert into a gauge reading

Originally Posted by DOZENVALVE
Oh and one more thing; I found a boost leak which explains why my gauge read low after swapping injectors. When I took things apart to install the injectors, I inadvertently cracked my 1/8" nylon boost tie that goes to the gauge in the cab. It cracked right at the brass compression fitting where it enters my pusher intake tube. I knew this would happen some day. Auto meter provides a brass compression fitting for you to install their gauge boost tube into your intake, but it uses a brass ferrule/compression fitting. When in reality one should really be using a delrin/plastic ferrule since it is going on a plastic tube. Can't find any plastic ferrules so I ordered another 1/8" brass one. For now the intake mani is plugged and the boost gauge reads zero . Which doesn't matter because the truck is now in the shop ha!
Old 11-10-2015, 01:29 PM

Or just use an Isspro boost gauge which uses an electronic sender in the intake to convert into a gauge reading
Of course! I am fairly partial to the auto meter gauges I have though, super basic. Z series I believe. Black face and they both match.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:30 PM

I will let this thread rest for a bit. When I get my truck back from the shop, I will return on the status of the Hazy idle.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:03 PM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
no thanks.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by j.fonder
no thanks.
Mhm. X2.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:45 PM

I think the spray angle issue is overblown. May make a difference on 5x12 and above, but not much if at all on the 185s, 190s etc. as always, nozzle projection and timing help.
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck
The "Bosch 190's" that I had were 155* spray angle and smoked bad when cold. The correct injectors will help a ton.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:54 PM

Bah, Justin, I feel the same way about electric windows :-D

Originally Posted by j.fonder
no thanks.