1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Lots of smoke at cold start, would like it to go away

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^that was supposed to say "wouldn't" be the first time I learned the hard way
Headed home today if I feel good after the 6 hour drive at 90 decibels I might try and get them installed.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:00 PM

okay.just swapped injectors. upon cold start after purging the fuel system of air, same amount of blue smoke. grids never came on but right now its about 60 degrees and I had it plugged in for the last few days. this time it didn't sputter and run super rough like normal though, and it sounds a little different. I do have a video. will post if I can
Old 10-30-2015, 06:01 PM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by DOZENVALVE
okay.just swapped injectors. upon cold start after purging the fuel system of air, same amount of blue smoke. grids never came on but right now its about 60 degrees and I had it plugged in for the last few days. this time it didn't sputter and run super rough like normal though, and it sounds a little different. I do have a video. will post if I can
waiting impatiently
Old 10-30-2015, 06:30 PM

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
Try turning your pump down a quarter turn and run some high cetane fuel for a couple tanks.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by j.fonder
waiting impatiently

Haha

I think I have to upload it to YouTube
Old 10-30-2015, 09:04 PM

But I am busy watching world series
Old 10-30-2015, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by ofelas
Try turning your pump down a quarter turn and run some high cetane fuel for a couple tanks.
There multiple things that can be "turned down" on the pump. Could you be more specific?
Old 10-30-2015, 10:07 PM

Old 10-30-2015, 10:26 PM

The 190s that came out
Old 10-31-2015, 01:26 PM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
That looks like exactly what mine just did at 55 degrees here in south east Colorado, I know my grid works, ip is "stock" except for fuel pin and I have different injectors. Today is the first time I've noticed it. This morning at 30 degree start no smoke or rough idle.

I know ic motors grid is supposed to cycle at 60. Is it possible that at around 60 degree that the initial start up cold fool sensor thinks it at temp so grids wont cycle?
Old 10-31-2015, 08:26 PM
Banned

that's definitely still a good amount of smoke/haze at idle. especially concerning that it's unchanged from the last set of injectors. at anything over 40-45 degrees, I would not be blaming temperature/grid heaters.

as chip recommended, I guess try turning down the fuel screw a turn and see what happens? wish I could be more help. other idea, which is more grim, is that oil or fuel causing the blue smoke?
Old 10-31-2015, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by j.fonder
that's definitely still a good amount of smoke/haze at idle. especially concerning that it's unchanged from the last set of injectors. at anything over 40-45 degrees, I would not be blaming temperature/grid heaters.

as chip recommended, I guess try turning down the fuel screw a turn and see what happens? wish I could be more help. other idea, which is more grim, is that oil or fuel causing the blue smoke?
I re-sealed the turbo as well as did valve stem seals last December and a head gasket and studs.

Another member has recommended to check the diaphragm in the pump for oil leaking into the fuel which I can try and do

It has also been recommended to run a Cetane booster

Unfortunately it's storming out and I got called into work, so more truck maintenance will have to wait until next weekend
Old 11-01-2015, 12:07 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Man those sure look like some really thick sealing washers on those injectors. Aren't we suppose to use the thinnest, to get them closer to the bowl?
Old 11-02-2015, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by bigragu
Man those sure look like some really thick sealing washers on those injectors. Aren't we suppose to use the thinnest, to get them closer to the bowl?

Haven't heard this. These are the ones i was told to run with these injectors; both the 190s I pulled out and the DDP stage 1s.

Anybody else heard this?
Old 11-02-2015, 05:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DOZENVALVE
I re-sealed the turbo as well as did valve stem seals last December and a head gasket and studs.

Another member has recommended to check the diaphragm in the pump for oil leaking into the fuel which I can try and do

It has also been recommended to run a Cetane booster

Unfortunately it's storming out and I got called into work, so more truck maintenance will have to wait until next weekend
if the diaphragm in the pump was bad, it would be dumping fuel into the crank case. never heard of it the other way around. if this was happening you would have flooded your crank case with diesel by now and would certainly know about it.

sounds like you've covered all the other bases. i'd start fooling with the tuning. fuel screw and timing. just do one thing at a time and test until you find some resolve.

Quick Reply: Lots of smoke at cold start, would like it to go away