1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Lots of smoke at cold start, would like it to go away

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of smoke at cold start, would like it to go away

Hey guys, to start, all my mods are in my sig. I'm running the Bosch 190s for injectors. When I bought the truck the only thing done to it was the pump had clearly been tweaked due to black smoke at WOT. everything else was stock.

The white-ish blue-ish smoke when I cold start my truck is embarrassing. Everybody tells me that my truck is burning oil and I need to get it checked out, which is super annoying. I've recently done a head gasket, studs, valve stem seals, and a freshly re sealed the turbo. I tell folks it just does that when it's cold due to the combination of mods and pump tuning I have.

Before I start messing with the pump, is it just these injectors that smoke so bad?

Should I turn the smoke screw down and see if it helps?

Once the truck is warm it doesn't have much and performs well.

Thanks,
Sean
Old 10-09-2015, 04:36 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
is it just these injectors that smoke so bad?
Probably. I don't know if you have the same "190's" as came in the truck I'm running now, but like you I am not happy with them when they are cold.

Have you checked to make sure that your KSB is working properly? (disconnect the wire when the truck is idling cold, and the engine speed should drop slightly) Are you sure that the correct thickness washers were used with the injector install? (I suspect that the spray angle on the 190's is incorrect, so they might like thinner washers to get the spray into the bowl, but I haven't had time to fool with mine) Have you tried advancing the static timing? (The 190's have a different pop pressure from stock injectors, thus they require a different static timing -- retarded timing leads to haze as a general rule.)

I will be curious to see what others have to say.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Alec
Probably. I don't know if you have the same "190's" as came in the truck I'm running now, but like you I am not happy with them when they are cold.

Have you checked to make sure that your KSB is working properly? (disconnect the wire when the truck is idling cold, and the engine speed should drop slightly) Are you sure that the correct thickness washers were used with the injector install? (I suspect that the spray angle on the 190's is incorrect, so they might like thinner washers to get the spray into the bowl, but I haven't had time to fool with mine) Have you tried advancing the static timing? (The 190's have a different pop pressure from stock injectors, thus they require a different static timing -- retarded timing leads to haze as a general rule.)

I will be curious to see what others have to say.
When I first got the truck I had to mess with the KSB. This was a couple years ago so I can't remember exactly what I did but something wasn't working. I know it's wired in series with air intake temp sensor(?), so maybe I was replacing that instead.

I'm almost positive I used the proper washers. I remember their being different sizes and I used what was recommended to me by the tech at H&H diesel which is where I purchased them. He supplied the washers to me with the injectors.

Lastly if by static timing you mean the timing that is adjusted by rotating the pump, yes. I have it bumped about an 1/8th. I don't have the fancy timing tool so I don't know exactly what it is set at.

Sean
Old 10-09-2015, 07:25 PM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
Is your grid heater working? When I got my 92 the heaters did not work and on cold start it belched blue smoke like nobody's business, untill it warmed up.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Hillbilly66
Is your grid heater working? When I got my 92 the heaters did not work and on cold start it belched blue smoke like nobody's business, untill it warmed up.
They are intermittent. Sometimes yes and sometimes know. When they are clicking on, f I run them two or three times it helps tremendously with the amount of smoke. If they don't click on, then j know it's gonna be a smoke show.

When the truck isn't in use I leave it plugged in and that always helps. Fires up nice every time. But when I go places like work or out in town, i don't always have a place to plug in at.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by DOZENVALVE
They are intermittent. Sometimes yes and sometimes know. When they are clicking on, f I run them two or three times it helps tremendously with the amount of smoke. If they don't click on, then j know it's gonna be a smoke show.

When the truck isn't in use I leave it plugged in and that always helps. Fires up nice every time. But when I go places like work or out in town, i don't always have a place to plug in at.
In that case I would try to get them working before messing with the pump or anything else. I think that's probably the cause of your smoke show.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:18 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
The PCM has a temp input, IDK if it's coolant or intake manifold. That sensor might be the problem. When it's below about 50° the heaters should work, and cycle till things get warmed up a bit.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by j_martin
The PCM has a temp input, IDK if it's coolant or intake manifold. That sensor might be the problem. When it's below about 50° the heaters should work, and cycle till things get warmed up a bit.
I forgot about the sensor. Should be two sensors on intake by the firewall, I believe the rear most one is it.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:43 PM

I forgot about the sensor. Should be two sensors on intake by the firewall, I believe the rear most one is it.
Thanks in gonna look at that. This would also effect KSB operation? Or no.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:07 PM

Thanks in gonna look at that. This would also effect KSB operation? Or no.
Yes the rearmost sensor would,
Old 10-10-2015, 06:52 AM

I had my FSM out this morning looking up a few other things, so I double checked the sensors. Rearmost is air temp ksb operation, front is air charge temp. I believe that that is the grid heater. Double check all the words for loose connection, since they work intermittent it's possible to have a loose connection.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:00 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
If the air charge temp sensor is bad, it should set a code in the PCM.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:16 PM

I had my FSM out this morning looking up a few other things, so I double checked the sensors. Rearmost is air temp ksb operation, front is air charge temp. I believe that that is the grid heater. Double check all the words for loose connection, since they work intermittent it's possible to have a loose connection.
Thanks for doing that! I was going to thumb through the FSM myself but I'm out of town this weekend and it's at home in my truck box.

Can't wait to get back now and investigate. Maybe there will be any easy fix that will relieve me of all this smoke.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:50 PM

Thanks for doing that! I was going to thumb through the FSM myself but I'm out of town this weekend and it's at home in my truck box.

Can't wait to get back now and investigate. Maybe there will be any easy fix that will relieve me of all this smoke.
You're welcome, Hope it's an easy fix.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:46 PM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
the bosch 190s should have the correct spray angle for your IC truck. maybe I missed it, but where is your pump timing at?

edit/addition:
your grid heaters cycle at 60*F on an IC truck and 40*F on a non-ic truck. have you seen temps much below this? plenty of guys unhook their grid heaters entirely and still don't see this smoke that you're describing at cold start-up. I really don't think that this is a grid heater problem, but I've been wrong plenty of times

Quick Reply: Lots of smoke at cold start, would like it to go away